Helpful ReplyKeeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children"

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/04/12 17:01:10 (permalink)

Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children"

You read it right. Apparently the Physicians Commitee For Responsible Medicine wants KFC to keep their newest fried chicken breast creation out of the hands of children and treat it like a deadly tobacco product as it's so incredibly dangerous. Even not to advertise the product outdoors and 500 feet away from schools. Talk about histrionics, this lady needs a reality check over two pieces of chicken breast. I wonder what kind of knee-jerk reaction this woman would have if she saw June Cleaver serving her family fried chicken cooked in a cast iron skillet half filled with Crisco.

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/cleanplatecharlie/KFCdoubledownletter.pdf
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/12 17:05:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
DocChuck
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/12 17:26:34 (permalink)
It is truly AMAZING that there is so much IGNORANCE in what is assumed to be an advanced country such as the United States of America.

The "Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine" is an embarrassment to professional medical practitioners (without an agenda, that is).

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/12 21:19:47 (permalink)
I'm starting a Class Action Suit against KFC, McDonalds, all the candy & dessert companies & Twinkies for my being overweight! Anyone want to join????
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/13 15:54:03 (permalink)
I am so old-timey. I even still believe in such nonsense as self-determination and personal responsibility. I guess I am just a hopeless case.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/13 16:57:35 (permalink)
I sincerely hope the genetics of my grandfather are passed on to me.  He died at 94 because of a car wreck.  He  ate fried country ham, fried pork chops, gravy, biscuits and other greasy stuff his entire life.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1085
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/13 19:04:08 (permalink)
But with all due respect, "activistcash" is not without its own agenda.

Check it out here: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=A_visit_to_the_ActivistCash.com_web_site

I don't want to get dinged for getting into a political discussion, but don't kid yourself: neither of these groups is purely what it seems to be on the surface, and neither is as forthcoming as it could be about its funding sources.

I actually used this as a case study in my media ethics class this morning. 

We used it as an exercise in the wisdom of checking out organizations that issue press releases.   
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/13 19:27:22 (permalink)
PCRM is neither responsible nor composed of physicians -- legitimate ones, anyway. They're a kissing cousin of PETA, bent on using all means necessary to end the consumption of animal proteins in any form.
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 758
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/13 23:17:44 (permalink)
I am so old-timey. I even still believe in such nonsense as self-determination and personal responsibility. I guess I am just a hopeless case.

Keep believing - it may not work for others but it does for you and that's what it's about.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/13 23:56:17 (permalink)
Should  kids, or anyone else for that matter, eat a lot of fried or broasted food products---probably not.
Should some wacko group try to impose their will & influence to the point of creating laws or regulations on what people can or cannot eat? Absolutely Not!
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/14 03:50:04 (permalink)
 This sounds like a joke but I know that it isn't. I happen to cook with real butter, bacon fat, and lard. I weigh all of 135 lbs at five feet, seven inches. I have been eating in moderation most of my life and do exercise by walking to work and working in a HOT kitchen. I am 45 years old and my Doctor says that my cholesterol is in a good range but my B.P. is a little high due to stress.

It is my considered opinion that the U.S.A. as a whole has become too litigious. Groups like the so called "P.C.R.M. are out to scare the public and gain notoriety for their cause.

JMHO

David O.
DawnT
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/14 12:48:07 (permalink)
Fringe group or not, they appear to have significant legal resources and enough clout to file several lawsuits as plaintiffs in some large cases. They also provided the resources to allow the NY AG to file those abusurd lawsuits against the fast food industried to hold them directly responsible for obesity. They may have a vegan and animal rights agenda, but they're backing up their bark with a legal bite. A letter like the above might seem bizzare, but I'm sure in Louisville it's taken a bit more seriously like a shot across the bow now that the KFC has provoked their attention and may now be in their crosshairs for future litigation.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/14 18:09:18 (permalink)
Remember this thread from last year?:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?high=cancer+project+sued+sabrett&m=529310

Same management.

The media covered this as "weird news" in July 2009. But, the press never followed up on the story or how far the lawsuits got in the courts.

The question is, how many lawsuits did PCRM file, and how many did PCRM win? Settlements don't count.
post edited by David_NYC - 2010/04/14 18:10:29
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/14 19:12:04 (permalink)
This is more of the same mentality by people who have the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/14 20:40:07 (permalink)
Louis

This is more of the same mentality by people who have the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

What the Hell are you talking about?  Explain yourself after you sober up.

carollwdls
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/14 22:30:41 (permalink)
Oh, You know who those people are, Foodbeme! The people who want to rain on anyone else's parade... scuse me while I kiss the sky! AND nod in the general direction of the vermouth, just like W. Churchill...
CiaoMeOw! owwowowwwww
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/15 10:05:23 (permalink)
I was referring to the health nazis out there who want to drive out all the good food in America and replace it with healthy food.  If those people want to eat healthy food, let 'em find it wherever it might exist, but let the rest of us eat whatever we want.

DawnT
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/15 13:05:30 (permalink)
Sometimes it's for the good with genuine intentions. More often then not, it's a few attention seeking people trying to impose their will on everybody under the threat of litigation. For example, look at the schools right now. They're under the barrage of a small group of activist parents demanding the schools forbid any type of peanut product; peanut butter,mixed nuts,cookies,vending machine snacks,etc from entering the grounds and declare the school a nut or peanut-free zone. They contend their children have peanut allergies that can be triggered with residiual food dust,oils, even the breath of other kids. They only see a global solution of a complete ban of anyting with nuts or even forbidding students to bring any kind of food or share foods (think zero tolerance policy like drugs or weapons for sharing a peanutbutter cookie) of any sort leaving it up to the school foodservice to control (and be responsible) for the foods and snacks available to the students. Genuine nut allergies that require this level of prophalxis are very rare around 1-2% if that. Yet many schools are approaching nearly a 15% mark in which parents insist their students are special and being endangered by other student's foods. There's not only an attention seeking component, they are being fueled by internet campaigns with an agenda and attorneys that specialize in litigating these type of cases to enormous settlements or judgements. The above organization appears to be one of these groups in my opinion with such an agenda. They motivate misguided individuals and use sledgehammer frivolous litigation techniques like private industry uses SLAPP's to achieve their end.  Under the threat of litigation and negative publicity with the potential to tarnish the brand, many companies will cave and agree to their demands.  
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/15 13:17:52 (permalink)
A couple years ago, PCRM sued the dairy industry to demand that milk cartons carry lactose-intolerance warning labels. The suit was basically laughed out of court.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/15 14:04:44 (permalink)
David_NYC

Remember this thread from last year?:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?high=cancer+project+sued+sabrett&m=529310 

I just found this post dated two days ago that reports a New Jersey federal District Judge dismissed the hotdog lawsuit filed by PCRM:
http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Legislation/Advocacy-group-s-plea-for-hotdog-cancer-warnings-dismissed
Here is the American Meat Institute's spin on the lawsuit:
http://www.meatami.com/ht/display/ArticleDetails/i/58585 

ADDENDUM:
A lawyer discusses why the District Judge dismissed the lawsuit:
http://www.consumerclassactionsmasstorts.com/2010/04/articles/consumer-fraud/on-todays-menu-3-dismissals-of-fraud-suits-involving-food/
post edited by David_NYC - 2010/04/15 14:30:47
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/15 23:52:02 (permalink)
DawnT

Sometimes it's for the good with genuine intentions. More often then not, it's a few attention seeking people trying to impose their will on everybody under the threat of litigation. For example, look at the schools right now. They're under the barrage of a small group of activist parents demanding the schools forbid any type of peanut product; peanut butter,mixed nuts,cookies,vending machine snacks,etc from entering the grounds and declare the school a nut or peanut-free zone. They contend their children have peanut allergies that can be triggered with residiual food dust,oils, even the breath of other kids. They only see a global solution of a complete ban of anyting with nuts or even forbidding students to bring any kind of food or share foods (think zero tolerance policy like drugs or weapons for sharing a peanutbutter cookie) of any sort leaving it up to the school foodservice to control (and be responsible) for the foods and snacks available to the students. Genuine nut allergies that require this level of prophalxis are very rare around 1-2% if that. Yet many schools are approaching nearly a 15% mark in which parents insist their students are special and being endangered by other student's foods. There's not only an attention seeking component, they are being fueled by internet campaigns with an agenda and attorneys that specialize in litigating these type of cases to enormous settlements or judgements. The above organization appears to be one of these groups in my opinion with such an agenda. They motivate misguided individuals and use sledgehammer frivolous litigation techniques like private industry uses SLAPP's to achieve their end.  Under the threat of litigation and negative publicity with the potential to tarnish the brand, many companies will cave and agree to their demands.  

Well said DawnT! You put into words the very thoughts I wrote earlier but in better prose and in more detail. Thank you.

David O.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/16 21:04:09 (permalink)
some people have too much time on thier hands.

keep your noses out of what I eat,drink & smoke.

I know whats good & bad, let ME decide. not you, not the courts or the government.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Keeping Fried Chicken "Out Of The Hands Of Children" 2010/04/16 22:47:41 (permalink)
I don't have any kids, but if I did, I'd be the one to decide what they do or don't eat, not the PCRM or any other group of food nazis.
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1