Kempton Hotel near Lehigh Valley, PA

Author
Bob Zauzmer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/06/18 14:00:20 (permalink)

Kempton Hotel near Lehigh Valley, PA

We had a wonderful Father’s Day meal at the Kempton Hotel in Kempton, Pennsylvania, which is on the outskirts of the Lehigh Valley, about 25 minutes west of Allentown.

The restaurant, open every day except Tuesday, is housed in a hotel which dates back to 1874, across from the mill in a small, well-preserved rural town. One drives for about 10 minutes through beautiful farmland to get there from I-78.

The food, all of it made from scratch on the premises, is terrific. Everything we had was wonderful, from the clambake to the fried chicken, from the wonderful seafood gumbo included with the salad bar to the apple dumplings for dessert. The restaurant occasionally has family-style Pennsylvania Dutch feasts, and if the to-die-for chicken pot pie we had is any indication, it must be fantastic.

Outstanding rural restaurants like this are a dying breed in this part of Pennsylvania. It would be great if the Kempton Hotel gets the support it doubtlessly needs to maintain a wonderful tradition.

(Posted to Roadfood.com and Chowhound.com.)

3 Replies Related Threads

Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Kempton Hotel near Lehigh Valley, PA 2007/06/18 15:29:34 (permalink)
    Wow! The Kempton Hotel takes me back.

About 20 years ago I was working with a documentary film crew at a local wildlife sanctuary. We were planning to treat the sanctuary folks to a nice meal and they suggested The Kempton Hotel. My boss asked if the food's good and one guy, a local, piped up enthusiatically that it was. A woman he worked with said, "it's okay." The guy insisted it was really, really good and the woman turned to my boss and explained, "he eats roadkill."

Of course that was 20 years ago. The place was pretty cute, tired but cute, and the food was okay, and did not appear to be roadkill. Glad to hear it's still there better than before.
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Kempton Hotel near Lehigh Valley, PA 2007/07/07 20:32:08 (permalink)
    I had the best PAN FRIED RABBIT there. It is a dying breed and it is a shame. It is funny that some of the food you pay tons of money for in the city is still being served for family specials at these old hotels. Virginville, Topton and Basin Street in Kutztown are just a few others up there.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8087
    RE: Kempton Hotel near Lehigh Valley, PA 2011/08/14 00:51:19 (permalink)
    Wow! The Kempton Hotel takes me back.

Bob Zauzmer takes me back!

Read about it here:  (post #16)

http://www.roadfood.com/F...amp;high=maid+of+honor

Hello to Bob who used to live two doors down from me way back in the.... 60's?

Amazing.

post edited by mar52 - 2011/08/14 00:56:21
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1