Kennebunkport eats

Author
Roy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
2003/11/14 16:52:03 (permalink)

Kennebunkport eats

Going to Kennebunkport for the next three days. Any recommendations for B L D places would be greatly appreciated. I know about the White Barn Inn and won't be going there as I'm a Roadfoodie, not a Chowhound. Hoping to get invited for a meal from George and Barbara but can't depend on it.

8 Replies Related Threads

Hepcat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Kennebunkport eats 2003/11/14 18:29:10 (permalink)
    I don't fully understand.

What are B L D places?

What's to like or not to like about the White Barn Inn? Is a Chowhound a gourmand, one who would look for buffets at which he could stuff himself?

chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Kennebunkport eats 2003/11/14 19:50:34 (permalink)
    The best advice I can give you is to have a lobster roll and some fried clams at the Clam Shack which is on the end of the bridge in Kennebunkport.............just wonderful!!! I dream of their lobster rolls. BUT, you really should book a table at the White Barn. It is a great dining experience and well worth the money.
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Kennebunkport eats 2003/11/14 20:07:42 (permalink)
    Close by to Kennebunk, the Maine Diner is a good bet....in Wells Maine. Very Very popular, expect some waiting time to be seated. But there's a gift shop to hang out while waiting. Kenebunk is a little too upscale for me.
    Ogunquit has a good Chinese place called "Yum Mee". (recommend Chicago style Chop Suey) Congdon's Donuts on the post road in Wells is worth a stop. The Lobster Pound in Ogunquit is very good.
    Late fall early winter is not the best time of year for eats...many are closed for the season. In fact all of Perkin's Cove where some nice places with excellent views is closed.
    If you go back during the warmer seasons...at York Beach my all time favorite is Goldenrod Kisses. It's like a trip back in time. Excellent Taffy, Ice Cream, and good old fashioned comfort food.
    In York, Flo's hot dogs is sort of a landmark. Never ate there myself, but is legendary for the rude treatment by the server.
    Bob's Clam Hut in Route One in Kittery is a real fun place.

Remember Coastal Maine roadfood has lots of competition for the tourist dollars. If your food ain't good, you don't survive.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Kennebunkport eats 2003/11/14 20:42:16 (permalink)
    I've stayed at the White Barn Inn, and loved both it and the dining experience. If you don't like high-end dining, then stay away. But, it's really good.

I agree about the clam shack (even though I don't eat clams, the place is great and my wife loved it). I'm also a big fan of Mabel's: especially the desserts. It's within walking distance of the other places I mentioned.
    Roy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Kennebunkport eats 2003/11/14 23:53:22 (permalink)
    Hepcat, B L D is breakfast, lunch, dinner. The comment re chowhound is about the Chowhound web site which is supposed to be about higher end restaurants and food than Roadfood which is more good plain regional food regardless of the ambiance and surroundings.
    Nothing is not to like about the White Barn Inn.....it is top of the line.....I just don't think Maine is a place where I should have to drag along a sport coat however. My choice, no insult intended.
    Heatherb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Kennebunkport eats 2003/11/15 07:51:24 (permalink)
    Roy - If you like beer try Federal Jacks Brew Pub in dock square. My fiance is particularly fond of their Old Thumper - made with a special yeast from England.

If you are interested in fine dining while in the area and don't want to bring a dinner jacket try Clay Hill Farm in just south of Ogunquit Center. This is a 300 year old farm house/bird sanctuary turned very nice restaurant.

We are having our wedding reception there in April.

If you are in Kennebunkport over a weekend - check the local paper for church suppers. This town is loaded with them and it is a nice place to meet some of the locals.

Have a great time while you are in Kennebunkport.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Kennebunkport eats 2003/11/15 08:08:35 (permalink)
    Day 1 Lunch Clam Shack for Lobster Roll.
    Day 1 Dinner Clam Shack for Lobster Roll.
    Day 2 Lunch Clam Shack for Lobster Roll.
    Day 2 Dinner Clam Shack for Lobster Roll.

They're THAT good!

I'd also highly recommend Flo's---wonderful hot dogs (only open 11-3, closed Wednesday, be prepared to wait in line). Get the hot sauce and the mayo and order at least three per person).

Haraseeket Lunch and Lobster in Freeport makes a pretty good lobster roll too...but we'd have to give the nod to Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound in Kittery Point (off Route 103 if I recall). Amazing fish chowder and wonderul mussels in white wine and garlic. Fresh stuff, though they and the Clam Shack may be closed for the season. It's COLD up there...but the town is very charming...and the beaches have breathtaking views.

Not sure where you are staying, but I'd recommend the Captain Jefferd's Inn---a beautifully decorated old home with yummy three-course breakfast. Only objection---lots of crusty guests ("well I have a summer home in Nantucket, but the outsiders have made it quite a hassle"). Oh shut up!

Have fun...and enjoy New England...America's most overlooked vacation region.

Heatherb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Kennebunkport eats 2003/11/16 10:33:45 (permalink)
    Hi:

Maine Diner is closed until November 26 for renovations.

The first week in December brings Christmas Prelude to Kennebunkport and other towns in the area (check it out online www.christmasprelude.com). Lots of crafts, sales, music, church suppers, etc. The town is mobbed - but it's a lot of fun.

The clam shack should be open, but if not Barleys next door does some good take out - it gets missed a lot because everyone goes to the clam shack.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1