The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Kenneth Lay

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 64
Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 1:07 AM (permalink)
Am I the only one in the world who thinks maybe Kenneth Lay isn't dead, but maybe somewhere in the Cayman Islands, or some other island paradise? No body at his memorial. No viewing.

....slinking back into conspiracyland......

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
    RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 1:20 AM (permalink)
    Well, death would be too good for him. If he is not dead, may he die a much more horrific and painful death....hopefully, penniless, like he left most of his employees.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
      RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 1:20 AM (permalink)
      I foresee a plot for a Law and Order episode.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
        RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 6:16 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Pwingsx

Am I the only one in the world who thinks maybe Kenneth Lay isn't dead, but maybe somewhere in the Cayman Islands, or some other island paradise? No body at his memorial. No viewing.

No, you are not the only one who thought about this possibility. Although we are probably wrong about him faking his death, the fact remains that he had/has both the financial means and the motivation for doing something like that. And, if there was/is no body to view at his memorial service, it certainly does raise this possibility to a suspiciously realistic scenario.

Of course, the U.S. Justice Department should be checking this out, since they do want him to serve his sentence. Or, would they just blithely look the other way as a final favor for Mr. Bush's personal friend, "Kenny Boy"?

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
          RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 9:04 AM (permalink)
          He has already been sighted with Elvis at a landromat. Chow Jim

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
            RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 9:42 AM (permalink)
            I sold both Cisco and Enron at the the top through pure stupidity...no timing...just needed the money. God is good.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
              RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 10:36 AM (permalink)
              Portland has a lot of people who suffered because of Mr. Lay. Enron bought Portland General Electric(PGE,one of our local electric companies)in 1997. A lot of PGE employees lost their pensions and 401k's in the Enron meltdown.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 2:36 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Jimeats

Jim Morrison and Mama Cass were slugging down Wild Turkey while it spin dried!

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                  RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 4:55 PM (permalink)
                  Maybe he should have to serve anyway.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                    RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 6:20 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

Jim Morrison and Mama Cass were slugging down Wild Turkey while it spin dried!

Did they all leave the building together?

John

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
                      RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 7:26 PM (permalink)
                      Pitifully, his lawyers are now busy trying to make sure his fortune is safe by getting his conviction declared null because he died before he could appeal it up to the Supreme Court.
                      pitiful

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                        RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 8:23 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by WVHillbilly

Pitifully, his lawyers are now busy trying to make sure his fortune is safe by getting his conviction declared null because he died before he could appeal it up to the Supreme Court.
                        pitiful

His lawyers have nothing to do with it. That's the law, if you die before sentencing, it's wiped out automatically. Funny thing is, this was just recently on one of the cable reality cop shows. (maybe he got his idea from it.) I was listening to a newscaster the other night & she was saying that all of his personal fortune 9.5 million or so is going to creditors, they get firsties on it. Then his family gets 10 million from his life insurance policy (untouchable because it was never his!) Does kinda make ya wonder about the theories doesn't it??

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Kenneth Lay Mon, 07/10/06 11:52 PM (permalink)
                          Sipping on a cold one, next to blue waters and white sand... Who better to have then a lying president as a freind? Least they could have done was fake some pictures of his body... I tell ya, goverment is slacking nowdays...

oltheimmer

• Total Posts: 214
                            RE: Kenneth Lay Tue, 07/11/06 2:53 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:
                            Originally posted by Pwingsx

No, you are not the only one who thought about this possibility. Although we are probably wrong about him faking his death, the fact remains that he had/has both the financial means and the motivation for doing something like that. And, if there was/is no body to view at his memorial service, it certainly does raise this possibility to a suspiciously realistic scenario.

Of course, the U.S. Justice Department should be checking this out, since they do want him to serve his sentence. Or, would they just blithely look the other way as a final favor for Mr. Bush's personal friend, "Kenny Boy"?
                            Public opinion around here about Kenny has been overwhelmingly negative but I think many people are still in shock over his death. Former Enron employees have gotten on with their lives; I don't know if I could have done that after what some of them lost. I've been very busy and haven't seen much on tv, but in addition to there being no body, I haven't seen any shots of grieving family members - maybe they're not grieving?

Most of the Enron prosecution team was brought in from elsewhere because so many of the members of the US Attorney's office here either owned stock in Enron or knew someone who worked there. They spent many, many months over several years away from their families pursuing this case; I'm sure they'll be looking at the coroner's report very carefully. Whatever comes of it we'll hear conspiracy theories for years.

Jeff Skilling was said to be 'devastated' and I'm sure he was; Kenny just took one of his options off the table .

ocdreamer is unfortunately correct; now and forever, Ken Lay is officially innocent of all charges.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                              RE: Kenneth Lay Tue, 07/11/06 1:27 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Parses6

quote:
                              Originally posted by UncleVic

Sipping on a cold one, next to blue waters and white sand... Who better to have then a lying president as a freind? Least they could have done was fake some pictures of his body... I tell ya, goverment is slacking nowdays...

Yeah Bill Clinton and Kenneth Lay were pretty close friends and golfing buddies.

I thought it was the Bush family that he was real close with.

Pwingsx

RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                Note how quickly and quietly the story faded from view.

Yup, he's still out there.

ctrueder

• Total Posts: 104
                                  RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 2:49 PM (permalink)
                                  WHOA!!! Hold on a minute . . . you Clinton-bashers!

For many years, his (Lay's) corporation was the single biggest contributor to President Bush, who nicknamed him "Kenny Boy."

Now, Dubya and his old man were "into" their old Houston buddy "Kenny Boy" like white on rice (or, perhaps, in some more intimate ways . . . oh, never mind!)

AND, this is from a guy who was born and raised in Houston and who was a professor at the University of Houston (and we "profs" always get the low-down! HeeHee!)

Now, as an all-seeing, all-knowing Houston "prof" . . . I can tell you that Kenneth Lay's "death" is Bulls***! The Bushies are taking care of their "boy!"

Dipstick

• Total Posts: 337
                                    RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by ctrueder

WHOA!!! Hold on a minute . . . you Clinton-bashers!

For many years, his (Lay's) corporation was the single biggest contributor to President Bush, who nicknamed him "Kenny Boy."

Now, Dubya and his old man were "into" their old Houston buddy "Kenny Boy" like white on rice (or, perhaps, in some more intimate ways . . . oh, never mind!)

AND, this is from a guy who was born and raised in Houston and who was a professor at the University of Houston (and we "profs" always get the low-down! HeeHee!)

Now, as an all-seeing, all-knowing Houston "prof" . . . I can tell you that Kenneth Lay's "death" is Bulls***! The Bushies are taking care of their "boy!"

My beltway theory just keeps getting more and more support!!!

seafarer john

RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 4:27 PM (permalink)
                                      Please forgive me for this:

There once was a crook named Ken Lay
                                      Who was found guilty in court one day.
                                      But he beat the rap
                                      when we swallowed the crap
                                      That he'd died and they'd laid him away.

Cheers, John

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
                                        RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                        Did this guy have a restaurant, or something else to do with food? If not, I can't help wondering why there's so much talk about him here.

sinkiller

• Total Posts: 57
                                          RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 4:51 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Did this guy have a restaurant, or something else to do with food? If not, I can't help wondering why there's so much talk about him here.

He made great Potatochips

seafarer john

RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 4:54 PM (permalink)
                                            Michael, I guess that's a rhetorical question that demands no answer, but I'm going to give one anhow.

Ken Lay was (is) an American icon. His legend has it that he was a friend of a president, a great philanthropist, had a ball park named for his company, worked hard to build his industry, earned by hard work every penny he had, came up from near poverty to great riches and power and influence...

But in the end his reputation turned out to be built on a pack of lies. His defence in court was that he had fallen victim to a bunch of crooks (people he had hired and promoted), that he knew nothing about finance or management, that he was just a little ole boy from a small town, that he had no idea what was going on in his company, and that he was flat broke so we should feel sorry for him...

So why shouldn't we be talking about him in the miscellaneous non- food forum ?
                                            And why shouldn't we be allowed to take a little pleasure and kick around the downfallen corpse of the once rich and powerful man who sat at the right hand of presidents?

Cheers, John

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                              • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 4:55 PM (permalink)
                                              Those chips were a bit oily though!!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                                RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 5:45 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by seafarer john

Michael, I guess that's a rhetorical question that demands no answer, but I'm going to give one anhow.

Ken Lay was (is) an American icon. His legend has it that he was a friend of a president, a great philanthropist, had a ball park named for his company, worked hard to build his industry, earned by hard work every penny he had, came up from near poverty to great riches and power and influence...

But in the end his reputation turned out to be built on a pack of lies. His defence in court was that he had fallen victim to a bunch of crooks (people he had hired and promoted), that he knew nothing about finance or management, that he was just a little ole boy from a small town, that he had no idea what was going on in his company, and that he was flat broke so we should feel sorry for him...

And why shouldn't we be allowed to take a little pleasure and kick around the downfallen corpse of the once rich and powerful man who sat at the right hand of presidents?

Cheers, John
                                                Gee, Sounds like Jimmy Carter. Chow Jim

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
                                                  RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 6:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

quote:
                                                  Originally posted by seafarer john

Cheers, John
                                                  Gee, Sounds like Jimmy Carter. Chow Jim

I must have missed out on seeing Ken Lay's work on behalf of human rights or with Habitat For Humanity. How many houses did he build while I wasn't looking?

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3546
                                                    • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                    RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 7:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

pitiful

Convenient, isn't it?

seafarer john

RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 9:33 PM (permalink)
                                                      What I remember about Jimmy Carter is that he was honest, modest, frugal, careing, and never bilked an employee or stockholder out of a penny in his life. And unlike our current president, when things went bad in the failed rescue mission in Iran he took the responsibility - compare that, if you dare, with our current president.

cheers, John

sinkiller

• Total Posts: 57
                                                        RE: Kenneth Lay Wed, 07/12/06 9:48 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Those chips were a bit oily though!!

Maybe so, no one knew til later.

Pwingsx

• Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                                          RE: Kenneth Lay Thu, 07/13/06 12:46 AM (permalink)
                                                          Seafarer, I'm with you about Carter. A decent, good man. Maybe not the best president, but he TRIED.

I love the Lay's potato chips slant.

caratzas

• Total Posts: 216
                                                            • Location: Bridgeport, CT
                                                            RE: Kenneth Lay Thu, 07/13/06 12:58 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:

pitiful

I don't even think his lawyers have to push for that; my understanding is it's automatic. That's just the way the U.S. justice system works -- the right to appeal is considered so fundamental that the entire proceeding is treated, LEGALLY, as if it never occurred. This doesn't change the real-world fact that he was convicted.

There are two complications here that I guess you could say his estate lucked into: First, since there won't be any sentencing or fines the court can't seize any of his assets as punishment for the criminal case (remember, as far as the law is concerned, the whole arrest/indictment/trial/conviction NEVER HAPPENED.) Second, any party seeking remedy for his actions in a civil suit (this can still happen) won't be able to use the conviction in making their case; this means they'll have to do more work to prevail.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 64

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com