Kenneth Lay

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
2006/07/10 01:07:09 (permalink)

Kenneth Lay

Am I the only one in the world who thinks maybe Kenneth Lay isn't dead, but maybe somewhere in the Cayman Islands, or some other island paradise? No body at his memorial. No viewing.

....slinking back into conspiracyland......

63 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 01:20:21 (permalink)
    Well, death would be too good for him. If he is not dead, may he die a much more horrific and painful death....hopefully, penniless, like he left most of his employees.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 01:20:37 (permalink)
    I foresee a plot for a Law and Order episode.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 06:16:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

Am I the only one in the world who thinks maybe Kenneth Lay isn't dead, but maybe somewhere in the Cayman Islands, or some other island paradise? No body at his memorial. No viewing.

No, you are not the only one who thought about this possibility. Although we are probably wrong about him faking his death, the fact remains that he had/has both the financial means and the motivation for doing something like that. And, if there was/is no body to view at his memorial service, it certainly does raise this possibility to a suspiciously realistic scenario.

Of course, the U.S. Justice Department should be checking this out, since they do want him to serve his sentence. Or, would they just blithely look the other way as a final favor for Mr. Bush's personal friend, "Kenny Boy"?
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 09:04:06 (permalink)
    He has already been sighted with Elvis at a landromat. Chow Jim
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 09:42:28 (permalink)
    I sold both Cisco and Enron at the the top through pure stupidity...no timing...just needed the money. God is good.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 10:36:08 (permalink)
    Portland has a lot of people who suffered because of Mr. Lay. Enron bought Portland General Electric(PGE,one of our local electric companies)in 1997. A lot of PGE employees lost their pensions and 401k's in the Enron meltdown.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 14:36:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

Jim Morrison and Mama Cass were slugging down Wild Turkey while it spin dried!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 16:55:56 (permalink)
    Maybe he should have to serve anyway.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 18:20:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

Jim Morrison and Mama Cass were slugging down Wild Turkey while it spin dried!

Did they all leave the building together?

John
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 19:26:19 (permalink)
    Pitifully, his lawyers are now busy trying to make sure his fortune is safe by getting his conviction declared null because he died before he could appeal it up to the Supreme Court.
    pitiful
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 20:23:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WVHillbilly

Pitifully, his lawyers are now busy trying to make sure his fortune is safe by getting his conviction declared null because he died before he could appeal it up to the Supreme Court.
    pitiful

His lawyers have nothing to do with it. That's the law, if you die before sentencing, it's wiped out automatically. Funny thing is, this was just recently on one of the cable reality cop shows. (maybe he got his idea from it.) I was listening to a newscaster the other night & she was saying that all of his personal fortune 9.5 million or so is going to creditors, they get firsties on it. Then his family gets 10 million from his life insurance policy (untouchable because it was never his!) Does kinda make ya wonder about the theories doesn't it?? " />
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/10 23:52:12 (permalink)
    Sipping on a cold one, next to blue waters and white sand... Who better to have then a lying president as a freind? Least they could have done was fake some pictures of his body... I tell ya, goverment is slacking nowdays...

oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/11 02:53:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

No, you are not the only one who thought about this possibility. Although we are probably wrong about him faking his death, the fact remains that he had/has both the financial means and the motivation for doing something like that. And, if there was/is no body to view at his memorial service, it certainly does raise this possibility to a suspiciously realistic scenario.

Of course, the U.S. Justice Department should be checking this out, since they do want him to serve his sentence. Or, would they just blithely look the other way as a final favor for Mr. Bush's personal friend, "Kenny Boy"?
    Public opinion around here about Kenny has been overwhelmingly negative but I think many people are still in shock over his death. Former Enron employees have gotten on with their lives; I don't know if I could have done that after what some of them lost. I've been very busy and haven't seen much on tv, but in addition to there being no body, I haven't seen any shots of grieving family members - maybe they're not grieving?

Most of the Enron prosecution team was brought in from elsewhere because so many of the members of the US Attorney's office here either owned stock in Enron or knew someone who worked there. They spent many, many months over several years away from their families pursuing this case; I'm sure they'll be looking at the coroner's report very carefully. Whatever comes of it we'll hear conspiracy theories for years.

Jeff Skilling was said to be 'devastated' and I'm sure he was; Kenny just took one of his options off the table .

ocdreamer is unfortunately correct; now and forever, Ken Lay is officially innocent of all charges.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/11 13:27:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Parses6

quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Sipping on a cold one, next to blue waters and white sand... Who better to have then a lying president as a freind? Least they could have done was fake some pictures of his body... I tell ya, goverment is slacking nowdays...

Yeah Bill Clinton and Kenneth Lay were pretty close friends and golfing buddies.

I thought it was the Bush family that he was real close with.
    Pwingsx
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 13:47:24 (permalink)
    Note how quickly and quietly the story faded from view.

Yup, he's still out there.
    ctrueder
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 14:49:05 (permalink)
    WHOA!!! Hold on a minute . . . you Clinton-bashers!

For many years, his (Lay's) corporation was the single biggest contributor to President Bush, who nicknamed him "Kenny Boy."

Now, Dubya and his old man were "into" their old Houston buddy "Kenny Boy" like white on rice (or, perhaps, in some more intimate ways . . . oh, never mind!)

AND, this is from a guy who was born and raised in Houston and who was a professor at the University of Houston (and we "profs" always get the low-down! HeeHee!)

Now, as an all-seeing, all-knowing Houston "prof" . . . I can tell you that Kenneth Lay's "death" is Bulls***! The Bushies are taking care of their "boy!"

Dipstick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 16:03:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ctrueder

WHOA!!! Hold on a minute . . . you Clinton-bashers!

For many years, his (Lay's) corporation was the single biggest contributor to President Bush, who nicknamed him "Kenny Boy."

Now, Dubya and his old man were "into" their old Houston buddy "Kenny Boy" like white on rice (or, perhaps, in some more intimate ways . . . oh, never mind!)

AND, this is from a guy who was born and raised in Houston and who was a professor at the University of Houston (and we "profs" always get the low-down! HeeHee!)

Now, as an all-seeing, all-knowing Houston "prof" . . . I can tell you that Kenneth Lay's "death" is Bulls***! The Bushies are taking care of their "boy!"

My beltway theory just keeps getting more and more support!!!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 16:27:01 (permalink)
    Please forgive me for this:

There once was a crook named Ken Lay
    Who was found guilty in court one day.
    But he beat the rap
    when we swallowed the crap
    That he'd died and they'd laid him away.

Cheers, John
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18268
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 16:33:35 (permalink)
    Did this guy have a restaurant, or something else to do with food? If not, I can't help wondering why there's so much talk about him here.
    sinkiller
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 16:51:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Did this guy have a restaurant, or something else to do with food? If not, I can't help wondering why there's so much talk about him here.

He made great Potatochips
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 16:54:45 (permalink)
    Michael, I guess that's a rhetorical question that demands no answer, but I'm going to give one anhow.

Ken Lay was (is) an American icon. His legend has it that he was a friend of a president, a great philanthropist, had a ball park named for his company, worked hard to build his industry, earned by hard work every penny he had, came up from near poverty to great riches and power and influence...

But in the end his reputation turned out to be built on a pack of lies. His defence in court was that he had fallen victim to a bunch of crooks (people he had hired and promoted), that he knew nothing about finance or management, that he was just a little ole boy from a small town, that he had no idea what was going on in his company, and that he was flat broke so we should feel sorry for him...

So why shouldn't we be talking about him in the miscellaneous non- food forum ?
    And why shouldn't we be allowed to take a little pleasure and kick around the downfallen corpse of the once rich and powerful man who sat at the right hand of presidents?

Cheers, John
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15184
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 16:55:40 (permalink)
    Those chips were a bit oily though!!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 17:45:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Michael, I guess that's a rhetorical question that demands no answer, but I'm going to give one anhow.

Ken Lay was (is) an American icon. His legend has it that he was a friend of a president, a great philanthropist, had a ball park named for his company, worked hard to build his industry, earned by hard work every penny he had, came up from near poverty to great riches and power and influence...

But in the end his reputation turned out to be built on a pack of lies. His defence in court was that he had fallen victim to a bunch of crooks (people he had hired and promoted), that he knew nothing about finance or management, that he was just a little ole boy from a small town, that he had no idea what was going on in his company, and that he was flat broke so we should feel sorry for him...

And why shouldn't we be allowed to take a little pleasure and kick around the downfallen corpse of the once rich and powerful man who sat at the right hand of presidents?

Cheers, John
    Gee, Sounds like Jimmy Carter. Chow Jim
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 18:42:14 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Cheers, John
    Gee, Sounds like Jimmy Carter. Chow Jim

I must have missed out on seeing Ken Lay's work on behalf of human rights or with Habitat For Humanity. How many houses did he build while I wasn't looking?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3901
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 19:51:50 (permalink)
    quote:

pitiful

Convenient, isn't it?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 21:33:26 (permalink)
    What I remember about Jimmy Carter is that he was honest, modest, frugal, careing, and never bilked an employee or stockholder out of a penny in his life. And unlike our current president, when things went bad in the failed rescue mission in Iran he took the responsibility - compare that, if you dare, with our current president.

cheers, John
    sinkiller
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/12 21:48:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Those chips were a bit oily though!!

Maybe so, no one knew til later.
    Pwingsx
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/13 00:46:40 (permalink)
    Seafarer, I'm with you about Carter. A decent, good man. Maybe not the best president, but he TRIED.

I love the Lay's potato chips slant.
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Kenneth Lay 2006/07/13 00:58:22 (permalink)
    quote:

pitiful

I don't even think his lawyers have to push for that; my understanding is it's automatic. That's just the way the U.S. justice system works -- the right to appeal is considered so fundamental that the entire proceeding is treated, LEGALLY, as if it never occurred. This doesn't change the real-world fact that he was convicted.

There are two complications here that I guess you could say his estate lucked into: First, since there won't be any sentencing or fines the court can't seize any of his assets as punishment for the criminal case (remember, as far as the law is concerned, the whole arrest/indictment/trial/conviction NEVER HAPPENED.) Second, any party seeking remedy for his actions in a civil suit (this can still happen) won't be able to use the conviction in making their case; this means they'll have to do more work to prevail.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1