Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/01/05 10:50:36 (permalink)
Let me pose a question for you other old farts out there.

I think it was in the early 60s that a place opened in Houston called The Bluegrass Inn (on W. Gray for any locals out there). I’m not sure of the full menu because we always had the same thing. They had an all-you-can-eat offering of either chicken or shrimp for $1.95. I liked shrimp, but the chicken was so tasty and unlike any I had ever had before, so I would always order the chicken.

That restaurant closed, and not long after a chain of chicken places opened called Heart’s Chicken. The sign had the word “Heart’s” over (what else?) a large red heart. The chicken there tasted just like the chicken at Bluegrass Inn.

Then Heart’s closed and Kentucky Fried Chicken joints began to appear with the same style chicken – or at least it seemed to be. I can’t find a connection between these restaurants, so I was wondering if any of y’all know if they are related somehow.

Thanx,
Pete
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/02 20:03:37 (permalink)
And what the hey is Kitchen Fresh Chicken? I'd hope it would be!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/14 15:45:01 (permalink)
the farthest north i have seen bojangles is louisvlle. i like their dirty rice. as for kfc, has anyone noticed that the kfc in hollywood,ca looks like an abstract chicken from certain angles?
Frankman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/16 10:36:19 (permalink)

I agreee that the Boneless BBQ wings are very good, although the sweet sauce gives me some funky heartburn later. Actually, my favorite are the crispy strips. Only they are way too salty.
Having read through most of this thread and seeing how this got so convoluted, I would like to add my two cents.
I feel that Roadfood encompasses many eateries, including chain restaurants. After all, the chains are here because they recognized the need for such places too. I also think that Roadfood and Fastfood are two totally different food worlds.
Roadfood is what you look for during or after a long day (or maybe not) of traveling. Somewhere you want to sit and relax and have a good tasty meal. Relax being the operative word, and the important factor here is that time was bugeted for this event.
Fastfood is a quick meal usually not on the "to due" list. A glue so to speak that has links one event with another. Quality has been sacrificed for time. Quality that the ownwers and maufacturers have tried to replace with more salt and sugar. This makes their product more palatable. And sells more drinks.
Now, from what I've seen of the reviews from all the eateries on this site, I am of the understanding that this site is more devoted to the "great taste" rather that the "less filling" places.
Ok, I'll sum up. I like a quarter pounder w/cheese as well as a New Haven thin crust pizza. I like a deep fried chili dog from the Merritt Canteen as well as the Colonel's strips. Is the quarter pounder any better health wise than the pizza? Nope. So, eat for taste, keep it in moderation, and enjoy this wonderful land of food diversity. The melting pot. Otherwise we will all be at Tiffany Heather Buffy's Bistro eating watercress snadwiches and drinking lemongrass shakes. Yuk!
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/16 12:22:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Acuff-12

has anyone eaten in Bojangles Chicken? I feel they are a lot better than KFC. Most are in the south, but some have creeped northward.(there are about 3 or 4 in Maryland on the eastern part of the beltway, (I 95). The website has locations. They also have real sweet tea, the only place you can get it in the area.
http://www.bojangles.com/bojangles/intro/index.html

Matt

And their BISCUITS are the best! When on the road in the South, I always seek out Bojangles for a traveling supply of country ham, sausage, steak and chicken buscuits. I knew the guy who started the Bojangles chain (Jack Fulk from Wilkesboro, NC) and started enjoying their products around 1977 in their first location on South Tryon Street in Charlotte.
Jack had also worked in an early Hardee's franchise and helped pioneer their breakfast biscuit business. Nobody ate burgers for breakfast, so the restaurants were sitting closed and empty in the mornings until they started with the breakfast biscuit.
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/16 14:11:26 (permalink)
KFC is not bad but my favorite chain is Popeye's which we started eating at in Chicago years ago. Their chicken was crispier and did not seem as dried out as KFC. They have expanded quite a bit and we have one pretty close to our house here outside Denver. We are not chain "addicts" but a quick chicken dinner a half dozen times a year isn't bad.

Taking this subject up one level to good Chicken restaurants, in Michigan I remember the good ones in Frankenmuth, north of Flint. In Wisconsin, Shaeffers in Crivitz north of Green Bay. Both have the best family style dinners on the planet. In Castle Rock Colorado where we live, the Castle Cafe. Denver also has White Fence Farm like the one outside Chicago (Lamont), been to both.

Don

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/16 19:24:27 (permalink)
Speaking of Popeye's, this was the only FF restaurant I ever saw mentioned in Gourmet Magazine (although years ago...;)
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/16 19:28:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:
Originally posted by Acuff-12

has anyone eaten in Bojangles Chicken? I feel they are a lot better than KFC. Most are in the south, but some have creeped northward.(there are about 3 or 4 in Maryland on the eastern part of the beltway, (I 95). The website has locations. They also have real sweet tea, the only place you can get it in the area.
http://www.bojangles.com/bojangles/intro/index.html

Matt

And their BISCUITS are the best! When on the road in the South, I always seek out Bojangles for a traveling supply of country ham, sausage, steak and chicken buscuits. I knew the guy who started the Bojangles chain (Jack Fulk from Wilkesboro, NC) and started enjoying their products around 1977 in their first location on South Tryon Street in Charlotte.
Jack had also worked in an early Hardee's franchise and helped pioneer their breakfast biscuit business. Nobody ate burgers for breakfast, so the restaurants were sitting closed and empty in the mornings until they started with the breakfast biscuit.

Hmmm. Seems just the opposite now. Hardee's in my area might as well close up after breakfast is over...
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/16 22:36:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by clothier

My personal task for the holiday break (our factories shut down the last weeks of the year, so I basically have two weeks off) is to master the art of frying chicken. I've done it (yes, I have a lodge cast iron skillet) but never to my satisfaction, and that's my holiday plan. That and velveta fudge.

Clothier... Your couple weeks are up! Did ya master that fried chicken yet? :)

I missed this, my apologies. I don't think I'd use the term master yet, but it's pretty good. I made it a few weeks ago when my folks and my brother's family was there, and they ate every last piece, so'll I take that as a good sign. Even my kids said it was better than McNuggets, so I don't think there is a higher compliment from a 3 year old.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, No higher ranking then being Kid Approved! You've mastered it!
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/16 22:49:47 (permalink)
All this talk about KFC... They used to be tasty around here, but as someone said earlier, food has become extremely greasy... My thoughts are that they lowered the temps on their pressure fryers to save on energy costs (Thus sealing in the grease vs. the juices)... But then I've always been known as the devils advocate... Or it could be that those geneticlly altered things they call chickens have skin that naturally absorbes grease? hmmmmm... A 3pc Original Dinner with Slaw, Mashed Spuds and Fresh Biscuit does sound good right now!
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/16 23:01:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oldfrt

Taking this subject up one level to good Chicken restaurants, in Michigan I remember the good ones in Frankenmuth, north of Flint. ... Both have the best family style dinners on the planet.

You may be thinking of Zehnder's in Frankenmuth. Check out http://www.zehnders.com! I ate there once, and it was very good!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13497
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/17 10:56:06 (permalink)
I was in Flint last year and colleagues in our company advised me to try Zehnders which was just up the road a bit. Maybe I hit it lucky. The chicken was excellent and the veggies were super. The place was huge and the town is very festive.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13497
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/17 19:42:03 (permalink)
Back to the thread: The Sundancer enjoyed a two piece thigh dinner at KFC with slaw, potatoes with gravy and a bisquit this past Sunday for the NASCAR race where I witnessed Little E winning the race which he dominated the entire week end.

I must truthfully say that I do not know how I could have had a better fast food lunch than what follows:

The chicken was so hot it steamed. So crispy it litterly cracked open and so tasty, the pepper got my tastebuds going. Mashed potatoes were fresh tasting and the gravy over it was wonderful. Their cole slaw is one of my favorites and the bisquit looked wonderful and I gave it away as I was way over my carb limit.

This KFC was in Maryville, TN and it was packed.

It is not easy to buy great fried chicken. I am meeting Pogo, Poverty and JimInKy Friday night for some great fried chicken in Nashville and I will not try to convince you that KFC is better. That day and that time, it was great.

Truthfully
Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/17 21:48:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

It is not easy to buy great fried chicken. I am meeting Pogo, Poverty and JimInKy Friday night for some great fried chicken in Nashville and I will not try to convince you that KFC is better. That day and that time, it was great.

Can't ask much more than that from a fast food place!!! I'm sure the Coronel would be pleased!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/17 22:44:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Can't ask much more than that from a fast food place!!! I'm sure the Coronel would be pleased!

Or any place, for that matter. It's like Peter Shickele says about music: "If it sounds good, it IS good". Food's the same way -- if it tastes good to you, then it is good. No matter what anyone else says or thinks...
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/20 23:37:20 (permalink)
Clothier: I remember Tonys!

When we would go to Houghton Lake to fish we would stop there on the way up and have breakfast! What a MEAL! For a couple bucks you got about a half dozen eggs, hash browns and had to be a half pound of bacon, or more, on a platter! What a feast! Thanks for the memory!

As for Zenders, we, as a family enjoyed it. The dinner was good and we liked the Family Style servings.

Take care.

Don
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/21 09:30:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by Route 11

And what the hey is Kitchen Fresh Chicken? I'd hope it would be!

I had 2 thoughts about this ad campaign.

1) who thought it up, and does he/she still have a job?

2) who approved it, and has he/she been fired yet?

As I said in a usenet group, the ghost of Colonel Sanders needs to haunt the cr*p out of some marketing weenies!

Down here in Atlanta (not sure if we qualify as the South) corporate culture holds full sway to where we give large public venues corporate names...but at least in neighboring Marietta the major landmark is the Big Chicken - a 3-story geometric fowl built some 40 years ago when roadside architecture was interesting. The full name 'Kentucky Fried Chicken' is spelled across it, along with the Pepsi-Cola logo - kind of a black eye to the linchpin company of our state economy.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Kentucky Fried Redeems themselves 2004/02/21 11:03:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

the farthest north i have seen bojangles is louisvlle. i like their dirty rice. as for kfc, has anyone noticed that the kfc in hollywood,ca looks like an abstract chicken from certain angles?

We have them in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC (Bojangles, that is).
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1