Kentucky I-24 for lamb ribs

Author
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
2004/06/12 11:48:16 (permalink)

Kentucky I-24 for lamb ribs

We will be travelling on I-24 from Nashville through Paducah on our way from Atlanta to central Kansas. I have heard about BBQ lamb ribs, but have never had them. Is there a place convenient to our route that is a good place to try them?

7 Replies Related Threads

Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Kentucky I-24 for lamb ribs 2004/06/12 13:20:29 (permalink)
    My favorite bbq in that area is the Deep South, at exit 86. No lamb, but pretty good q, nonetheless. You should definitely stop at Broadbent's retail outlet in Cadiz, to pick up some country ham.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Kentucky I-24 for lamb ribs 2004/06/12 20:23:32 (permalink)
    Milt,
    Western Kentucky is known for it's Mutton BBQ, I think thats what you are talking about. Big difference between Spring Lamb and 'Sheep' BBQ !! I must admit that I really like the Mutton. Hopefully one of the several roadfood posters from that area will list some choices for you. I usually stop in Owensboro which is a bit out of your way.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Kentucky I-24 for lamb ribs 2004/06/13 11:05:21 (permalink)
    I've only heard of lamb ribs at Jack Stack in KC. One of their signature items and wonderful. A guy up in Portland(oregon) has started a stand which I've read about, SE6th and Hawthorne during the week, PSU farmer's market on the weekends, and this is one of his main treats. Haven't been so can't comment on quality. He did hisQ research inTexas, so where he got the lamb idea, I'm not sure. Milt, My E-mail's been down. sorry not to respond before.
    Bill
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Kentucky I-24 for lamb ribs 2004/06/14 09:20:51 (permalink)
    I must have gotten various posts mixed up in my mind. A new place in suburban Atlanta called KC Pit BBQ has lamb ribs on their menu, but I have yet to try them. I have only been once, and tried their brisket which - for Georgia - was quite good. The lamb ribs will be tried next. I knew Fiorella's Jack Stack offered lamb ribs, and perhaps I will get to try them on the upcoming trip. Mutton BBQ in western Kentucky is probably what I remembered seeing posted. That is what I will look for as we traverse that area.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Kentucky I-24 for lamb ribs 2004/06/14 10:07:04 (permalink)
    Milt, if you're traveling from Nashville through Paducah via I-24, you'll probably miss the counties that serve barbecue mutton. That southwestern region of Kentucky is better known for their country ham than barbecue. Indeed, you'll be missing the barbecued mutton region by 100 miles.

Barbecued mutton is served in restaurants primarily in north-western Kentucky along the Ohio river. There may be some exceptions here and there, but that's where you'll find it. You'll find it mainly in the cities of Owensboro, Henderson and Waverly (between Henderson and Morganfield), Kentucky. Stay on U.S. 60 in either direction when traveling though those cities and you'll be in easy reach of a restaurant serving barbecue mutton.

The closest restaurant that I know of that serves barbecued mutton near Paducah is about a half-hour's drive north of that city on U.S. 60. (Trackside Barbecue in Sullivan, Kentucky which is on the northern tip of Crittenden county.) Sullivan is between Marion and Morganfield, Kentucky.

Owensboro deservedly gets a lot of barbecued mutton's publicity, but Peak Bros. Bar-B-Q in Waverly, Kentucky (between Henderson and Morganfield on U.S. 60) deserves to be investigated. Their barbecued mutton is a little spicier but just as good as that in Owensboro. The beef and pork is just as good.

Check them out if you are so inclined:

Peak Brothers Bar-B-Que Restaurant, (270) 389-0267, U. S. Highway 60 West, Waverly, KY 42462
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Kentucky I-24 for lamb ribs 2004/06/14 11:43:01 (permalink)
    THanks, Louis, I was hoping that you would provide some advice here. Sorry we won't get to the Henderson Blues Festival this week...but I am still hoping to meet you for Fried Chicken sometime this season.
    We have put Peak Brothers on our list of places to try when we head further down U S 60.
    AL
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Kentucky I-24 for lamb ribs 2004/06/14 18:09:25 (permalink)
    Al, Sorry you can't come this year. but when you or Bushie or whomever wants a personal introduction to the Bon Ton Mini Mart or any of the other nearby restaurants around Henderson, Kentucky/Evansville, Indiana, just email me and let me know. Louis
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1