The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source?

White Rose

• Total Posts: 11
Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Thu, 12/21/06 8:53 PM (permalink)
Hi, everyone!

Does anyone have an online source for Kentucky Wonder green beans? I’ve searched high and low (by means of Google) and have found plenty of sources for seed, but not for the harvested product itself.

I live in Phoenix, and the closest thing I’ve found to “good” green beans is the Blue Lake packages that Trader Joe’s has. They’re good, but I’d love to get some Kentucky Wonders. The things the local supermarkets have to offer are small, skinny, puny things. Very disappointing.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
    RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Thu, 12/21/06 9:00 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by White Rose

Hi, everyone!

Does anyone have an online source for Kentucky Wonder green beans? I’ve searched high and low (by means of Google) and have found plenty of sources for seed, but not for the harvested product itself.

I live in Phoenix, and the closest thing I’ve found to “good” green beans is the Blue Lake packages that Trader Joe’s has. They’re good, but I’d love to get some Kentucky Wonders. The things the local supermarkets have to offer are small, skinny, puny things. Very disappointing.

Assuming you are looking for "fresh" beans / produce ???

White Rose

RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Thu, 12/21/06 9:01 PM (permalink)
      Yes, indeed.

White Rose

RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Tue, 12/26/06 3:32 PM (permalink)
        No sources? I guess they're rarer than I thought.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Tue, 12/26/06 3:49 PM (permalink)

This time of year they are scarce. In July you find them at all the local produce stands in this area !! Have you considered growing some? We did quite well over in the High Desert of SoCal for several seasons.
          AL

White Rose

RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Sat, 03/1/08 2:48 AM (permalink)
            Still no sources for Kentucky Wonders? I'm beginning to (Kentucky) wonder if these mythical beans actually exist. Very frustrating. :-)

pamelakrest

• Total Posts: 362
              RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Sat, 03/1/08 4:39 AM (permalink)
              I would try your local farmer's market or maybe even try a local produce company. The catch might be that you have to buy a whole box though.
              Pamela

White Rose

RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Sat, 03/1/08 4:51 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by pamelakrest

I would try your local farmer's market or maybe even try a local produce company. The catch might be that you have to buy a whole box though.
                Pamela

Thank you, Pamela! I'd gladly buy a box or two, if only because KWs are few and far between here in Arizona. Thanks so much for your response.

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
                  RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Sat, 03/1/08 7:48 AM (permalink)
                  These aren't fresh, but you can get canned Kentucky Wonders at Walmart. They are packaged under the Allen name and come in the size that's next up from a typical vegetable can and they also carry them in the large commercial size. I think they call them Italian, but the can will have the map of Kentucky with the words "Kentucky Wonders" inside the map.

If you fix them right, the taste will be very close to fresh. Cook them with onion, fatback, salt and pepper and they come out purty darn good. I haven't bought fresh beans for years. I still get compliments on them whenever I serve them.

Here's a link in case your local Walmart doesn't carry them.

http://store.allencanning.com/prod_det.asp?ProdID=102

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                    RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Sat, 03/1/08 8:51 AM (permalink)
                    Are Kentucky Wonders the same as Italian green beans???

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                      RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Sat, 03/1/08 8:56 AM (permalink)
                      Here in Ohio our markets carry all sorts. Its common to see runners, half runners, pole beans and the anemic greeen beans at the same time. Some of the runners are monsters.
                      I made a mistake at first cooking them like green beans(7min. and cold shock). They were woody and stringy.
                      Cooked with ham for hours makes them wonderful. Especially the long flat ones. They a bean as big as a peanut!
                      Again the local beans at harvest time are awesome.
                      britt

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
                        RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Sat, 03/1/08 10:40 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by leethebard

Are Kentucky Wonders the same as Italian green beans???

Well, Allen calls them "Italian cut". I'm not real sure what that means. KW are a wide, flat pod with fairly small pale beans. They're very tender.

White Rose

RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Fri, 03/7/08 9:50 PM (permalink)
                          jman and brittneal:

I've had misserably bad luck vis-a-vis green beans here in our Phoenix farmers' markets. On the other hand, I've discovered and experienced the most flavorful citrus on the planet. So, six of one . . .

Thank you both for your recomendations and observations; I appreciate them more than you know. jman: I ordered a case of the green beans from your link (and recieved the case yesterday); cooked them with onions, garlic, and bacon grease; and tossed them with a tiny bit of butter. The result?: you are now in my will and shall inherit all my wealth. Thank you SO MUCH for that link!

WillieBoy

• Total Posts: 6
                            RE: Kentucky Wonder Green Beans--Source? Sun, 05/25/08 5:36 PM (permalink)
                            This is about 3 months too late but I'd like to comment. I'm a plant breeder and I'm thinking that Kentucky Wonders are probably not adapted to your area. I checked the University trials run in Arizona and thet aren't growing KWs (although there may be a related variety). Anyway, that means the freshest you can get is the packaged stuff from out of state.

If you want to check out what is there and who sells it, try roaming around a little in this website:
                            http://cals.arizona.edu/extension/cropproduction

WB

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com