Ketchup in glass bottles

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
2005/04/08 18:18:05 (permalink)

Ketchup in glass bottles

I really miss being able to buy ketchup in a glass bottle. It seems the stuff in the plastic bottles is always watery, even after being shaken. Does anyone else feel the same way or have I entered curmudgeonhood at an early age?

34 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/08 18:21:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ctfrasier

I really miss being able to buy ketchup in a glass bottle. It seems the stuff in the plastic bottles is always watery, even after being shaken. Does anyone else feel the same way or have I entered curmudgeonhood at an early age?

I have noticed no difference and in addition, it is easier to use. Just my opinion.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/08 18:22:22 (permalink)
    I don't understand. I always buy same in glass bottle...()
    ctfrasier
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/08 19:54:39 (permalink)
    Where are you finding glass bottles at? Maybe they're just not available in the Nashville market anymore.
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/08 20:05:02 (permalink)

Of course, this may be out of the way, but:

http://www.ketchupworld.com
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/09 10:44:44 (permalink)
    I worked for a glass container manufacturer while going to school and then stayed with them for a dozen years after graduation. This was during the time when food companies were switching from glass to plastic for the transportation cost savings. Whenever there was a quality concern with the container , usually just a visual flaw like color or gas bubbles, Kraft or however would send us cases of the filled product for evaluation. During this time I never had to purchase salad dressing, ketchup, pickles, or steak sauce. The only thing I didn't like was the time I was working in Chicago and Hormel had a problem with their pickled pig's feet jars. I did enjoy my time in the bay area making wine bottles for the Napa Valley though. I still buy glass over plastic out of loyality to my old profession.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18882
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/09 11:04:37 (permalink)
    I hate having to buy catsup in plastic bottles. Frankly, if not for my grandson's absolute need for the stuff I'd never buy it.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/09 17:43:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ctfrasier

Where are you finding glass bottles at? Maybe they're just not available in the Nashville market anymore.
    The local Publix has heinz catsup in glass bottles but its only the small size which around here wouldn't last through one dinner of burgers and fries. Until our 2 boys recently moved out, we would buy the large can of ketchup and refill a couple large squeeze bottles. We still get a 32oz bottle for weekend gatherings. Back to the subject at hand though, plastic vs glass, the controversy extends beyond ketchup, milk seems to taste fresher and be colder when glass bottles are used. Big business says there's no noticeable difference and perhaps it IS just psychological or even false memory but I go out of the way to pay a little more at a local dairy for glass bottled milk.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/09 17:59:08 (permalink)
    I veer also. I'm guessing this may have been discussed before ... BUT, what exactly do you put your ketchup on.

Someone once told me there are two kinds of people in the world -- those who put ketchup on their eggs AND people who are grossed out by people who put ketchup on their eggs. Ketchup on eggs never appealed to me.

Me: hamburgers, french fries and home fries -- nothing else -- yet I can't enjoy any of the aforementioned without the red stuff . When I was a kid, I used it on meat -- that may have been for any of a number of reasons -- but, I've outgrown that.

I though of this question as I had my once-in-very-many-moons Steak and Shake today at 4:30pm. The time is significant because, as I left and walked by the gajillion chains where I am staying (Gwinett) I passed an Olive Garden with a waiting line !!!! A waiting line ??? At an Olive Garden ??? At 4:30 ???

Anyhow. Aside from the obvious, what else do people do with Ketchup?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/09 18:27:55 (permalink)
    I really tired of having to beat hell out of bottles to get the ketchup to pour. I really appreciate the ease of squeeqing the plastic bottle. It works so well. There is nothing romatic or otherwise of the glass bottles except they are antique. Glass adds nothing to taste except if you believe it so.

Just the personal thoughts of the Sundancer.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/09 19:13:51 (permalink)
    I put catsup on just two things: corned beef hash and New Haven-style steak sandwiches.
    qwerty79
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/09 20:06:33 (permalink)
    I think that the ketchup in the glass bottles is better but is easier to use in plastic bottles. I don't think its just in my head that the two taste different, the stuff in the glass bottles, i think, is a little more "grainier" [sorry, don't know how else to describe it]. I also think its a little thicker, which makes it tastier.
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/09 20:50:57 (permalink)
    Its not your imagination if you believe things taste better in glass. Glass is a more inert material than either plastic or metal. A long time ago I worked for a corporation that made glass, plastic, and metal food and beverage containers. The company tested all its employees for taste sensitivity using blind taste tests of various food and drink stored in various materials. I found I could differentiate foods that were stored in glass vs plastic vs aluminum vs tin plated steel. I was placed on a panel of about a dozen people that evaluated new container / food interactions. Since the company at the time had recently invested heavily in plastic it was critical they developed containers that didn't impart a taste to the food. Unfortunately nothing performs better than glass in reducing the reaction between food and container. The higher manufacturing and transportation costs of glass doomed it to items that currently are unfeasible for cheaper materials.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/09 21:21:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

Its not your imagination if you believe things taste better in glass. Glass is a more inert material than either plastic or metal. A long time ago I worked for a corporation that made glass, plastic, and metal food and beverage containers. The company tested all its employees for taste sensitivity using blind taste tests of various food and drink stored in various materials. I found I could differentiate foods that were stored in glass vs plastic vs aluminum vs tin plated steel. I was placed on a panel of about a dozen people that evaluated new container / food interactions. Since the company at the time had recently invested heavily in plastic it was critical they developed containers that didn't impart a taste to the food. Unfortunately nothing performs better than glass in reducing the reaction between food and container. The higher manufacturing and transportation costs of glass doomed it to items that currently are unfeasible for cheaper materials.

AND... guess what is used in making plastics of any kind....
    (Hint: the refined product is now $2.25 a gallon in my area...)

QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/10 10:31:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I hate having to buy catsup in plastic bottles. Frankly, if not for my grandson's absolute need for the stuff I'd never buy it.

Do you think it's a gene that some kids get and some don't? My grandson has the same mania for ketchup. He will hardly eat anything (variety wise), but ketchup is the essential for every meal no matter what is being served. Mrs QFan and I go through an extra bottle (whether glass or plastic) every time the grand kids come for a visit.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    dreamzpainter
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/10 16:14:11 (permalink)
    A cheese omolet gets ketchup, hamburgers, steak, french fries etc. Hot dogs and "Q" do NOT get ketchup along with taco's or salads, almost anything else is fair game
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/10 17:17:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

I beleive this to be true also. When plastics first started getting big, a lot of people I knew would not buy supermarket meat wrapped in plastic, instead of butcher paper, some even of the opinion that plastic in contact with food was inherently unhealthy.

Some folks claim beer tastes better in bottles vs. cans, or Cokes tastes better in a 6 oz. bottle, and of course there's wine boxed in a plastic bladder. Personally with ketchup convenience wins out. Not to mention the cleanup mess when you break a bottle!

Are individually wrapped cheese slices less tasty because of the wrapping or the pre-slicing?
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/10 22:30:10 (permalink)
    This is a really funny topic for me because when my daughter, Bushiette, was very young (3 or 4), I would always buy the wide glass bottles of Heinz ketchup. Mrs. Bushie preferred the convenience of the plastic squeeze bottles, so she always bought those.

Bushiette often told her mother that she wished she would buy the "dump kind" instead of the "squeeze kind", because the dump kind tasted better.

My daughter takes after her Daddy; she's always right.
    dreamzpainter
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/10 23:24:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gizmolito
    [br
    Are individually wrapped cheese slices less tasty because of the wrapping or the pre-slicing?
    I can't complain about pre-sliced, the sandwich shop my wife works at gets 5lb blocks of pre-sliced yellow american cheese and she brings home a lb or 2 a week (when all the kids where home it was 5lbs) and individual wrapped does have its place, (when grilling burgers on the beach) an 8oz block of cheddar is presliced and individually wrapped, isn't it? I do draw the line at preshredded, well ok........ sometimes it comes in handy for making spreads, what about those cans of spray cheese that you can just squirt on your tongue, like bacon and cheddar...oh wait this was a ketchup thread ..sorrrrrrrryy......
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7312
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/11 03:52:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

This is a really funny topic for me because when my daughter, Bushiette, was very young (3 or 4), I would always buy the wide glass bottles of Heinz ketchup. Mrs. Bushie preferred the convenience of the plastic squeeze bottles, so she always bought those.

Bushiette often told her mother that she wished she would buy the "dump kind" instead of the "squeeze kind", because the dump kind tasted better.

My daughter takes after her Daddy; she's always right.

Father and daughter are very, very smart (as are my Father and I)!
    Growing up in the Pittsburgh area the BEST field trip was going to the Heinz plant and watching all those bottles on the conveyer belts going around and around, squirting ketchup like mad. And yes, we NEVER had that layer of liquid in the glass bottles like we have now in plastics.........you had to shake and shake and shake to get the stuff out! Best ketchup on the planet!
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/11 04:02:54 (permalink)
    quote:

I put catsup on just two things: corned beef hash and New Haven-style steak sandwiches.
    Ketchup!!, Not Catsup!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/11 08:39:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:

Ketchup!!, Not Catsup!

You know, jeepguy, you've been doing a lot of attacking here of late. Try going after a steel door. And don't presume to tell me how to spell anything.
    qwerty79
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/11 10:32:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator
    AND... guess what is used in making plastics of any kind....
    (Hint: the refined product is now $2.25 a gallon in my area...)

That's it? By me the cheapest is $2.55!
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/11 10:33:57 (permalink)
    Ketchup or Catsup?????

Sorry jeepguy, I agree with Michael. You do seem to be trying to provoke people in your recent posts, like calling lleechef names, and I don't believe that is what brings us together as Roadfood family on this site. Please try to play nice in the future.

On your spelling criticism of Michael, you are wrong. You can spell it both ways, and if you want to pick a fight, why not write to Hunt and Delmonte and tell them they don't know how to spell the name of their tomato based condiment.

For more information, correct, and incorrect spellings:
    http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0799/
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/11 14:57:57 (permalink)
    Hunts is ketchup i believe. Sorry if i offended anyone." /> This is why i use smilies.
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/11 15:19:57 (permalink)
    Some of the little fast food pouches of ketchup are labelled "fancy ketchup(catsup.) One of my sons swears this stuff tastes better. Anyone know the difference?
    ctfrasier
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/11 16:19:37 (permalink)
    My main problem with ketchup in plastic bottles is it seems watery. This is not a romantic attachment to glass bottles. I do not notice a difference in Jif in a plastic jar, only ketchup. Something about the plastic bottles seems to make it get watery faster. I might think this was due to a change in recipe but it seems to be the case regardless of brand. I'm sure the entire industry hasn't changed recipes.
    Lavanda
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/12 18:59:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gizmolito
    [

They are less tasty because the formula is different: less plasticine.

And sodas are much more tasty in glass, specially when chilled in an ice bath!

When trying to get catsup out of a glass bottle, instead of pouding the poor bottle to death, just stick a clean butter knife into it to
    release the pressure buildup and it will come out like a dream (and there wlll be no watery/vinegary top layer coming out.)

I have noticed the vinegary/watery layer in mustard squeeze bottles also, but not in glass mustard jars.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/12 19:57:09 (permalink)
    Just a general observation; not necessarily oriented to this thread.
    The role of the marketing folks at any given organization is to make us buy their product(s). Classical behavior modification @ work here. It is up to the consumer to know the real from the "implied" benefits of using same. While this was perhaps not an issue several decades ago; the trend has increased, & quite a few more consumers these days are letting (depending on???) these PR folks to "cloud" their perceptions & to make their decisions for them & thus influencing them to buy as to what their common sense tells them not to do.

Clear as mud??
    qwerty79
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Ketchup in glass bottles 2005/04/13 09:31:35 (permalink)
    The best way to get ketchup out of a (heinz)bottle is to turn it upside down on an angle and tap the 57 on the neck. Works every time.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1