The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Ketchup on a hot dog

Change Page: << < ..111213 > | Showing page 11 of 13, messages 301 to 330 of 381
NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Mon, 12/8/08 12:17 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Surely there must be someone out there who finds the idea of catsup on a hotdog to be wrong.
It is as wrong as mustard on a burger.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Mon, 12/8/08 8:19 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

quote:

Surely there must be someone out there who finds the idea of catsup on a hotdog to be wrong.

I agree, I never heard of putting mustard on a burger until I left the confines of the NYC metro area. Even the local fast food chains didn't.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
      RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Mon, 12/8/08 8:04 PM (permalink)
      Hey, I'm a mayo burger guy all the way! Wanderer, maybe a mayo on a hot dog thread?

Roossy, it's hard for me to get my mind around you having a job but I hear it's food related. But... if you are doing something you love... it's not really a job!!!

Hmmm, where is that "kraut on a hot dog thread? Reminds me of a song "I hope someday you'll join us... and the world will be as one". Hmm, who sang that???.

Joe, I'm back for a while but... be carefull what you wish for! :~)
      Joe

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
        RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Mon, 12/8/08 8:28 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
        Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

quote:

I agree, I never heard of putting mustard on a burger until I left the confines of the NYC metro area. Even the local fast food chains didn't.
        I left Yonkers and went to Killeen, TX (Fort Hood) in 1966 and that mustard hamburger about killed me. I never trusted a hamburger I bought in the South from that terrible moment on. Even living in the greater Cincinnati area you sometimes get stuck with a mustard burger. HORRIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PapaJoe8

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Mon, 12/8/08 8:45 PM (permalink)
          NYP, well said!
          Joe

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
            RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Mon, 12/8/08 8:57 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by PapaJoe8

NYP, well said!
            Joe

PapaJoe, Still working on that Texas hot Dog? It has potential!

PapaJoe8

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 12/10/08 2:11 PM (permalink)
              I have not had time Joe. Thanks! I think the po is there also. I want a mesquite smoked dog w/ jalapenos and???
              Joe

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 12/16/08 4:11 PM (permalink)
                http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/chicagodog.php

Where's the Ketchup?
                As mentioned earlier, the toppings are just as important as the Hot Dog itself. If you look at the required toppings for a Chicago Dog, you will notice that Ketchup is not listed among them. Ketchup is an ingredient frowned upon by Hot Dog aficionados. Although ketchup remains one of the most popular condiments on Hot Dogs, "properly made" Hot Dogs, like the Chicago Style, usually lack the condiment.

Those who consider themselves Hot Dog connoisseurs are often vehemently opposed to eating (or even witnessing) Hot Dogs with ketchup; they think the flavor of ketchup overpowers and destroys the taste of the Hot Dog instead of complementing it. Nowhere is this difference in opinion more apparent than in Chicago.

The inclusion of ketchup on a Chicago Style Hot Dog is a controversial issue. Most adult Chicagoans will shun ketchup. Chicago Hot Dog stands will not, as a rule, put ketchup on a Chicago Dog. Some stands will provide ketchup although you are responsible for defacing your Dog.

"You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? It's watching you stuff your face with those Hot Dogs! Nobody - I mean nobody puts ketchup on a Hot Dog!". - This is a famous line from the movie Sudden Impact starring Clint Eastwood.

The National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, in its recommendations for proper Hot Dog Etiquette capitulate only slightly to the public's general regard for ketchup, saying "Don't use ketchup on your hot dog after the age of 18.".

...Russ

PapaJoe8

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 12/16/08 10:03 PM (permalink)
                  Russ, that Dirty Harry clip is on this thread somewhere. It's fun to watch!
                  Joe

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                    RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 12/17/08 12:15 AM (permalink)
                    The hot dog joint in the town I grew up, didn't even have ketchup the whole time I lived there. They were hard core. It wasn't until fries hit the menu that ketchup found it's way into the restaurant.
                    Although, some people guess that they got the frier so that they could make fries so that they could have an excuse to have ketchup in the restaurant so that the long time hot dog joint's aficianados wouldn't revolt.
                    Incidentally, the place originated as a hot dog stand in 1886. Ketchup has been in the restaurant, because of the fries, for only about the last ten maybe fifteen years or so.

Even to this day, it's not uncommone to see the ketchup users look around to see who's looking (or rather to make sure no one is looking) before putting ketchup on their dog!

MiamiDon

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 12/17/08 5:20 AM (permalink)
                      In free-thinking Amsterdam, the hot dog wagons not only offer ketchup for your hot dog, in addition to mustard, but they offer mayonnaise and curry sauce as well.

For the curious, follow http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Hotdogamsterdam.JPG  to Wikipedia, and keep clicking on the photo to enlarge it so that you can read the labels on the dispenser.
                      <message edited by MiamiDon on Thu, 12/18/08 5:57 AM>

joerogo

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 12/17/08 5:29 PM (permalink)
                        Ketchup or not, that's a cool hot dog cart.

joerogo

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 12/17/08 5:32 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Russ, that Dirty Harry clip is on this thread somewhere. It's fun to watch!
                          Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                            RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 12/17/08 7:33 PM (permalink)
                            Yug!

PapaJoe8

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Mon, 04/20/09 9:31 PM (permalink)
                              Roossy... HI! Sorry I missed this. Sorry you didn't make Texas. :~(

Hey you gotta try those Nathan's skinless (that's all you can get in Texas) boiled in Shiner Bach beer!!! Poke some holes in em first though. The last ones I made never made it to a bun, They barly made it outa the pot. No ketchup, no mustard, no nothin. Just munch em up! :!)
                              Joe

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 9:10 AM (permalink)
                                MiamiDon

In free-thinking Amsterdam, the hot dog wagons not only offer ketchup for your hot dog, in addition to mustard, but they offer mayonnaise and curry sauce as well.

Nice little cart!  The Germans have a very popular snack called the Currywurst.  (Curry on a bratwust.  I know, sounds odd, but it's very tasty.)   Being next to Germany, it's not terribly surprising curry has found it's way over.

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
                                  RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                  Oh no, zombie thread!

WarToad

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 9:17 AM (permalink)
                                    /Necro

JMG

• Total Posts: 35
                                      RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 9:27 AM (permalink)
                                      I suppose it's a matter of personal preference but a Chicago-Style hot dog comes with dynamite sticks, onions, relish, mustard, pickle slice and tomato wedges, no ketchup. Each to their own but I never put ketchup on a hot dog.

GNeedles59

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 9:29 AM (permalink)
                                        JMG

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference but a Chicago-Style hot dog comes with dynamite sticks, onions, relish, mustard, pickle slice and tomato wedges, no ketchup. Each to their own but I never put ketchup on a hot dog.

But since you prefer Chi-town dogs, you put everything else on em

WarToad

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 9:39 AM (permalink)
                                          GNeedles59

JMG

Seriously.  If you have 2lbs of other condements on it, what a squirt of ketchup?  It's like adding a match to a bonfire.

JMG

• Total Posts: 35
                                            RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                            2lbs? Like I said, it's a matter of personal preference. I never put ketchup on a hot dog. You probably put ketchup on a good steak.

Tony Bad

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 10:17 AM (permalink)
                                              WarToad

GNeedles59

JMG

Seriously.  If you have 2lbs of other condements on it, what a squirt of ketchup?  It's like adding a match to a bonfire.

Yes...I apply this same logic to all dishes with a lot of ingredients. Yesterday I added chocolate chips to a southwest chopped salad and the day before I put some peanut butter in my Sunday gravy. With all the stuff already in there, what is one more thing gonna do?  

joerogo

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 10:22 AM (permalink)
                                                Sorry Tony,  I must revoke your Italian Heritage.  Pick a new letter for the end of your name.  I am confiscating the vowel.

WarToad

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                                  Tony ~

Using your anology, then since it appears ketchup, being tomato based and spiced, is inappropriate for a hotdog.  Thusly, tomato slices are inappropriate for a hotdog.  Pickles being spiced, are inappropriate for a hotdog.  I fully and absolutely agree with you.

Tony Bad

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 10:39 AM (permalink)
                                                    WarToad

Tony ~

Using your anology, then since it appears ketchup, being tomato based and spiced, is inappropriate for a hotdog.  Thusly, tomato slices are inappropriate for a hotdog.  Pickles being spiced, are inappropriate for a hotdog.  I fully and absolutely agree with you.

No you missed my point! What I was saying is that you are correct...once something reaches a threshold of ingredients you can just add anything and it won't even be noticed. Cake icing on a nice chicken curry...grilled onions on a nice butterscotch caramel cheesecake. Anything goes!!   

Tony Bad

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 10:40 AM (permalink)
                                                      joerogo

Sorry Tony,  I must revoke your Italian Heritage.  Pick a new letter for the end of your name.  I am confiscating the vowel.

Hey don't I get points for making Sunday gravy?

joerogo

• Location: Pittston, PA
                                                        RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 10:46 AM (permalink)
                                                        Yeah, but you lost points for calling your sauce , gravy

Tony Bad

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 10:57 AM (permalink)
                                                          joerogo

Yeah, but you lost points for calling your sauce , gravy

Oh Joe you have strayed from your Italian roots. My grandmother often told us sauce is something you put on ice cream and cake...gravy is what you put over macaroni (pasta? what is that?) or meat.

Sorry to stray from the important discussion.

GNeedles59

• Location: Union County, NJ
                                                            RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 04/21/09 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                                            Even this non Italian knows that gravy is what you make on Sunday.  Even if I still can't do it well. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..111213 > | Showing page 11 of 13, messages 301 to 330 of 381

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com