Ketchup on a hot dog

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 3 of 7, messages 121 to 180 of 381
PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 3:37 PM
If it will fit on a dog... someone will do it!

I love cold Rotel & Mexican Velveeta dip, on a dog. It will melt just a little bit on the HOT dog, mmmm!
Joe

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 3:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

ketchup and mayo = thousand island dressing. You people are getting sick now. Whats wrong with you people? That Brazillian thing is just wrong. Now stop this talk. Time to lock this thread...Russ

ROFLMAO!

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 3:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

ketchup and mayo = thousand island dressing. You people are getting sick now. Whats wrong with you people? That Brazillian thing is just wrong. Now stop this talk. Time to lock this thread...Russ

ROFLMAO!

LOL ...Russ

MiamiDon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 3:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ShellysDawgHouse

oh and ketchup.together with the mayo

Here's a Bogota Special:

It's got a ketchup and mayo concoction, bacon and onions underneath, and ham, melted cheese, and the all-purpose Colombian topping, crumbled potato chips.

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 4:49 PM
If I knew how to insert a picture I would show you a couple of "Mealies" from Charlie's Pool Room in Jersey. Sweet & sour Hungarian onion sauce, chopped onions and hot pepper strips.

No ketchup, no mustard, and certainly no mayo. It doesn't get any better than that.

MiamiDon, Great pictures except for the last one with the "ketchup and mayo concoction".

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6080
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 7:01 PM
I agree,the ketchup and mayo would be like putting french dressing on the thing!!!!

PapaJoe8
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 7:06 PM
Now yall got me thinking... Tartar Sauce! They make turkey and chicken dogs. I kinda like those. And I have seen a cheeseburger dog. Do they make a fish dog?
Joe

Russ Jackson
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 7:06 PM
quote:

quote:

oh and ketchup.together with the mayo

Here's a Bogota Special:

It's got a ketchup and mayo concoction, bacon and onions underneath, and ham, melted cheese, and the all-purpose Colombian topping, crumbled potato chips.

What is in that cup?...Russ

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 7:31 PM
I am not about to knock Miami Don's creations. They look very good to me. French dressing? Is that not the most un-secret secret sauce in the world? If people did not love it the major chains would not do it.

Miami Don has a great deal of creativity here and knows what he is doing. Of course since my hot dog tastes are rather pedestrian, I would want mine with corn relish only. I would order the other ones, though and either say hold the dog or put it on the side.

Why ruin a masterpiece? With this sort of creative cooking the dog becomes irrelevant.

PapaJoe8
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 8:40 PM
I for got about the Hawaiin Puka Dog. It has fruit on it. I don't know how to do a picture, sorry.
Joe

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 9:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BakersBoy

In the end we are purists. Pure to our own tastes. Do I put ketchup on a hotdog? Sure but I also eat them with relish, onions and chili. Come to think of it isn't chili a derivitive of a tomato, pretty much where ketchup comes from.

I also eat corned beef and cabbage, sometimes with vinegar and sometimes with butter on the vegetables. I eat french fries sometimes with ketchup and sometimes with malt vinegar. Pork chop sandwiches sometimes with mayo and fried onions and sometimes with mustard.

You get the idea. There is one rule that I will never, ever break: Pastrami and corned beef sandwichs must be served with mustard. That's just me.

BB
Chili is NOT a derivative of any tomato product! Chili is made with beef, chile powder, onions, bell peppers and maybe a can of tomato sauce or a can of tomatoes and beer. Not even close to kethcup.
Please don't confuse good chili with bad ketchup! As far as I know, there is no ketchup with beef chunks and neither is there chili made with ketchup as far as I know.

David O.

PapaJoe8
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 9:54 PM
Whops Boyardee, every pot of chili I slave for hours getting just right has my sweety putting ketchup in it. Hey, at least she eats it. I would draw the line at mayo though!!!
Joe

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 10:26 PM
As a vendor and business educator, I don't get involved in the political correctness of using ketchup on a hot dog. It's a matter of personal choice. Growing up as a Chicago baby boomer, ketchup was disallowed and isn't used on a Chicago style hot dog because it contains sugar, which takes the edge off the highly acidic tomatoes and other Chicago style condiments. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=617730

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 11:08 PM
I will occasionally put just mustard and catsup on my dog.

boyardee65
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 11:10 PM
Thank you CSD for the informative story. I agree about the Chicago style dog not needing any ketchup or anything else that isn't already there. It is a great formula for the perfect dog! Also, I would not put ketchup on a Sabrett or Nathan's dog either. Just a little red onion sauce, mustard, and sometimes a little kraut. All acidic ingredients that help cut the richness of the meat.

J.M.H.O

David O.

PapaJoe8
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Tue, 03/4/08 11:37 PM
CSD is righ on of coars. Nothing else needed on those delicious babys!
Joe

MiamiDon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 6:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

Thank you CSD for the informative story. I agree about the Chicago style dog not needing any ketchup or anything else that isn't already there. It is a great formula for the perfect dog! Also, I would not put ketchup on a Sabrett or Nathan's dog either. Just a little red onion sauce, mustard, and sometimes a little kraut. All acidic ingredients that help cut the richness of the meat.

J.M.H.O

David O.

Well, just to keep the conversation going...

Sabrett's onion sauce contains sugar.

Ketchup contains vinegar. (i.e., acid)

MiamiDon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 6:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Now yall got me thinking... Tartar Sauce! They make turkey and chicken dogs. I kinda like those. And I have seen a cheeseburger dog. Do they make a fish dog?
Joe

Salmon Dog:

ShellysDawgHouse
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 6:39 AM
i also put ketchup sometimes when i have a chili dawg must/chili and yes wiz!!!
But my new favorite is spicy brown, kraut and a new thing i am making a hot mango relish!!! the spiciness of the mustard, the tartness of the kraut and then the sweet and quite spicy mango relish. YUM O NO ketchup here.

MiamiDon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 6:43 AM
quote:

i also put ketchup sometimes when i have a chili dawg must/chili and yes wiz!!!
But my new favorite is spicy brown, kraut and a new thing i am making a hot mango relish!!! the spiciness of the mustard, the tartness of the kraut and then the sweet and quite spicy mango relish. YUM O NO ketchup here.

Good for you, Shelly! Are you using fresh mangos? I have three mango trees in the yard, and in the early summer I do mango everything.

ShellysDawgHouse
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 7:59 AM
no not at this point. but i may try it. but i can say this..... It is sooooo good. and anyone who has "dared" to try it has loved it. it is spicy/sweet and yummy

jimsock9
  • Total Posts : 285
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 8:21 AM

This morning I had 2 Boar's Head beef dogs boiling. So I decided to do my own taste test. I ate some with Plochman's mustard, some with ketchup and some plain. Much to my own surprise, I honestly liked the "plain" best of all.

MiamiDon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 8:39 AM
Is ketchup OK on a puka dog?

leethebard
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 8:43 AM
No, but give me one with the Habenero... hey,wait even Heinz makes a hot spicey ketchup...maybe we're on to something!

Russ Jackson
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 10:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jimsock9

This morning I had 2 Boar's Head beef dogs boiling. So I decided to do my own taste test. I ate some with Plochman's mustard, some with ketchup and some plain. Much to my own surprise, I honestly liked the "plain" best of all.

Only thing worse than Ketchup on a Hot Dog is boiling one...Russ

Next you will be putting them in a Microwave!
What is this world coming to?

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2201
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 10:12 AM
quote:

quote:

Didn't you notice the ""?? When gymsock uses the "", it means he's "joking".

Russ Jackson
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 10:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

quote:

Didn't you notice the ""?? When gymsock uses the "", it means he's "joking".

I wasnt serious either. What someone puts on there Hot Dog is there business. But I reserve the right to critique. I love Ketchup but putting it on a hot dog kind of makes my stomach turn. Heck I actually put Ketchup on a Hamburger and purists think that is a sin...Russ

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 10:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

Why ruin a masterpiece? With this sort of creative cooking the dog becomes irrelevant.

In many places, the hotdog meat is so generic, that the toppings are what makes it a good hotdog. I struggled with that concept when I moved from Central New York to North Carolina. In CNY, there is an abundance of good hotdog producers. Therefore, the hotdog meat is special enough that toppings are not common place. While in NC, they basically sell just regular store brand style of hotdogs and the "all-the-way" hotdog, rules. NC taught me that there's no cooking method to make a generic hotdog palatable, unless you get creative with the toppings. I have gotten over my trepidation with the all-the-way hotdog philosophy. I've combined both ideas to my new perspective: when I can only get store bought style hotdogs, I make a mean chili and coleslaw for the topping. When I can get a higher quality meat, then I stick to mustards.

ChicagoIrish
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 10:45 AM
Being a native Chicagoan, I actually prefer my hotdogs with only mustard, chopped raw onion and celery salt. However, there are occasions when I want something different and get one with ketchup, cheese, and celery salt. I actually think that the celery salt is the best part of a dog you can get in Chicago, at least works for me. Although the quality of the hotdog is also paramount...

ShellysDawgHouse
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 12:54 PM
I have been thinking and maybe not when it comes to ketchup but, i think different dawgs need different topping. I feel some toppings compliment some dawgs but not others. (like some things taste better on a grilled dawg and some better on a dirty water dawg) i am a firm believer in this. I happen to love hebrew National dawgs on the grill and that would be the dawg i love the mustard,kraut and hot mango relish on. i don't nessarially (sp) think i would like it on a dirty water dawg. I think slaw on a dawg would be better on a grilled dawg. but i love a dirty water dawg with must/ketchup/chili and WIZ yes i said it WIZ!!!

jmo

PapaJoe8
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 2:07 PM
Thanks Don, for posting the Puka Dog thing! I did not know they had a veggie dog. I think they need a salt water fish dog of some kind. And a chicken dog. It's that chicken goes w/ fruit thing.
Joe

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 3:40 PM
I can't believe they don't offer a Spam Dog.

joerogo
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 3:56 PM
I think I could make up the wierdest hot dog you can imagine and somehow in 15 minutes MiamiDon would publish a photo.

PapaJoe8
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 4:07 PM
Russ, try boiling a skinless Nathan's in Shiner Bock beer. The last batch I made never made the buns. Oh, it helps to drink a Shiner while their cookingy

Milw, Puka is trying to be unique. Spam dogs are everywhere in Hiwaii, arnt they?

Joe, that's why we need Don around here! And, he says some smart things sometimes.
Joe

MiamiDon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Wed, 03/5/08 9:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by joerogo

I think I could make up the wierdest hot dog you can imagine and somehow in 15 minutes MiamiDon would publish a photo.

Do it, dude!

leethebard
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 7:25 AM
On last night's hotdog paradise show on the travel channel,I was pleased to see that so many Hot dog places actually refuse to have Ketchup on the premisis!!!Let that quality flavor come through!!!!

MilwFoodlovers
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 7:51 AM
Geez Louise, no wonder we'll never see world peace

For the record, I don't put catsup/ketchup or mustard on a dog.

jimsock9
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 8:43 AM
Anyone that has a business that sells hot dogs and doesn't have ketchup available for all the millions and millions of ketchup lovers is a complete moron.

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2201
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 9:02 AM
quote:

Anyone that has a business that sells hot dogs and doesn't have ketchup available for all the millions and millions of ketchup lovers is a complete moron.

Anyone who makes such a blanket statement is also a moron. pb

PapaJoe8
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 9:13 AM
Want world peace, make sure everyone has a hot dog!

I watched the Travel Channel hot dog show last night. One place would not put ketchup on your dog, but they had it. You must put it on yourself though. That seams fair to me. Problem solved! Or.....
Joe

jimsock9
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 9:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

Anyone who makes such a blanket statement is also a moron. pb

Now, now, pb, I merely made a statement about a very bad business decision. No need to insult me. It's not like I said anything about
"low IQ webtv users" or anything.........

NebGuy
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 9:36 AM
quote:

quote:

Do it, dude!

I'm thinking a corn dog. Split and grilled. On a toasted bun. With a lot of jalapenos and minced onions . And a side of salsa for dipping. For breakfast. Hurry up I'm hungry and waiting......

Russ Jackson
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 10:06 AM
quote:

Standards must be set and if a customer would like Ketchup for there Hot Dog I think it would be better to send them down the road and request that they never return. Like No Shirt No Service, No Shoes No Service, No Smoking,and No Loitering. Putting Ketchup on a Hot Dog is actually an offense worse than those. Other patrons should not be subject to watching someone putting ketchup on a Hot Dog let alone eating one with it on it. And what if a child saw this action. The establishment might actually be responsible for counceling after witnessing this action. ...Russ

MiamiDon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 10:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NebGuy

quote:

quote:

Do it, dude!

I'm thinking a corn dog. Split and grilled. On a toasted bun. With a lot of jalapenos and minced onions . And a side of salsa for dipping. For breakfast. Hurry up I'm hungry and waiting......

You win!

(Grilled corn dog on a bun????!!!)

jimsock9
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 10:24 AM
quote:

quote:

Standards must be set and if a customer would like Ketchup for there Hot Dog I think it would be better to send them down the road and request that they never return. Like No Shirt No Service, No Shoes No Service, No Smoking,and No Loitering. Putting Ketchup on a Hot Dog is actually an offense worse than those. Other patrons should not be subject to watching someone putting ketchup on a Hot Dog let alone eating one with it on it. And what if a child saw this action. The establishment might actually be responsible for counceling after witnessing this action. ...Russ

But Russ!? What about if they have a special room in the back...a ketchup room????

PapaJoe8
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 10:29 AM
Russ, that may have been what happened to me as a small child. And... I never got counseling! I am not sure it was invented back when I was a kid? My email is still froze but I am working on it with my ISP. I think someone may have dripped some ketchup on something.
joe

Russ Jackson
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 10:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Russ, that may have been what happened to me as a small child. And... I never got counseling! I am not sure it was invented back when I was a kid? My email is still froze but I am working on it with my ISP. I think someone may have dripped some ketchup on something.
joe

LOL my family will put you in there prayers each night. But that is a pretty large request...Russ

MilwFoodlovers
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 10:48 AM
All this hot dog talk got me salivating. 6:30am I nuked a Usinger skin on frank (it was frozen) and topped it with onions and jalapenos; mmmm good! I have a slight cold so my mentholated cough drops kept me from damaging my co-workers.

Scorereader
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 10:57 AM
quote:

I'm going to agree with porkbeaks on this one. For years, no ketchup was available at Heid's of Liverpool (NY) - a Central New York hotdog institution. They offered but one type of mustard and chili was not an option either. They grilled Syracuse's well known Hofmann brand hotdogs and coneys (white hots). The line at lunch went out the door and wrapped around the building back in those days.

More recently, they got a deep fryer and added fries to the menu, bringing ketchup into the building. Many people thought it was blasphemous that ketchup entered the doors, but Heid's knew it would be a bad move to offer fries without providing ketchup. One might argue that they got the deep fryer in order to have an excuse to bring in the ketchup, but that's doubtful, considering how long those lunch lines were for years and years.

PapaJoe8
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 11:18 AM
Interesting history Score!

Milw, I understand! I have never put ketchup or mayo on a hot dog but... I work up this morning with a strange craving for a dog w/ ketchup and mayo. That will be my lunch. Oh, I think I'll do a dash or two of Louisiana Hot sauce to liven things up.
Joe

joerogo
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 12:12 PM
Hey NebGuy, Thanks for bailing me out, I would eat that one for breakfast also. Sorry Miami.

Joe, Ketchup & Mayo? Anything that color should be outlawed in all 50 states.

boyardee65
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 7:36 PM
quote:

quote:

Boy, aren't we a bunch of haughty, uppity, and snide bunch on this one topic! I think that if a business wants to provide ketchup to their customers they should! Just makes good business sense to me. As for kids putting ketchup on their dogs; I say, have at it! Kids don't have a sophisticated palate as adults do. Don't berate the parents for that, it's just natural. "To each their own" as my grandma used to say.

David O.

Russ Jackson
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 7:49 PM
quote:

quote:

quote:

Boy, aren't we a bunch of haughty, uppity, and snide bunch on this one topic! I think that if a business wants to provide ketchup to their customers they should! Just makes good business sense to me. As for kids putting ketchup on their dogs; I say, have at it! Kids don't have a sophisticated palate as adults do. Don't berate the parents for that, it's just natural. "To each their own" as my grandma used to say.

David O.

Thats the problem with kids today the parents dont take accountability for there actions. It all starts with letting them put ketchup on the Hot Dog the first time. Just like Adam and Eve taking a bite from the snakes apple. And we all know where that led. First Ketchup followed by Alchol, Pot, Cocain,Heroin,Democrat and then become street bum. Please put the packet down walk away for this road leads to demise....LOL...Russ

boyardee65
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 7:52 PM
Seems to me that someone is just a little bit paranoid. You forgot regestering democrat or God forbid, independent!

David O.

PapaJoe8
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 7:53 PM
Update on my lunch. I had John Morrell Jumbo Hot Dog w/ ketchup, mayo, and LA hot sauce. Hey, it was great!!!

I would't do that to a BoarsHead though!
Joe

boyardee65
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 7:54 PM
Seems to me that someone is just a little bit paranoid. You forgot registering Democrat or God forbid, Independent!

David O.

Russ Jackson
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 7:54 PM
quote:

Seems to me that someone is just a little bit paranoid. You forgot regestering democrat or God forbid, independent!

David O.

You are right I added Democrat just before Street Bum...LOL>>>Russ

uncledaveyo
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Thu, 03/6/08 8:24 PM
wow. six pages of this.

let's just all agree ketchup is wrong and close this topic

Scorereader
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Fri, 03/7/08 12:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by uncledaveyo

wow. six pages of this.

let's just all agree ketchup is wrong and close this topic

I'm guessing that some people will never agree to that...hence the six pages.

leethebard
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog - Fri, 03/7/08 5:10 AM
Let's go for seven pages....no ketchup...ok...how about tomato sauce???

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 3 of 7, messages 121 to 180 of 381