The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Ketchup on a hot dog

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 13, messages 121 to 150 of 381
PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 3:37 PM (permalink)
If it will fit on a dog... someone will do it!

I love cold Rotel & Mexican Velveeta dip, on a dog. It will melt just a little bit on the HOT dog, mmmm!
Joe

MiamiDon

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 3:41 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

ketchup and mayo = thousand island dressing. You people are getting sick now. Whats wrong with you people? That Brazillian thing is just wrong. Now stop this talk. Time to lock this thread...Russ

ROFLMAO!

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
      RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 3:47 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

ketchup and mayo = thousand island dressing. You people are getting sick now. Whats wrong with you people? That Brazillian thing is just wrong. Now stop this talk. Time to lock this thread...Russ

ROFLMAO!

LOL ...Russ

MiamiDon

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 3:49 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by ShellysDawgHouse

oh and ketchup.together with the mayo

Here's a Bogota Special:

It's got a ketchup and mayo concoction, bacon and onions underneath, and ham, melted cheese, and the all-purpose Colombian topping, crumbled potato chips.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
          RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 4:49 PM (permalink)
          If I knew how to insert a picture I would show you a couple of "Mealies" from Charlie's Pool Room in Jersey. Sweet & sour Hungarian onion sauce, chopped onions and hot pepper strips.

No ketchup, no mustard, and certainly no mayo. It doesn't get any better than that.

MiamiDon, Great pictures except for the last one with the "ketchup and mayo concoction".

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
            RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 7:01 PM (permalink)
            I agree,the ketchup and mayo would be like putting french dressing on the thing!!!!

PapaJoe8

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 7:06 PM (permalink)
              Now yall got me thinking... Tartar Sauce! They make turkey and chicken dogs. I kinda like those. And I have seen a cheeseburger dog. Do they make a fish dog?
              Joe

Russ Jackson

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 7:06 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

oh and ketchup.together with the mayo

Here's a Bogota Special:

It's got a ketchup and mayo concoction, bacon and onions underneath, and ham, melted cheese, and the all-purpose Colombian topping, crumbled potato chips.

What is in that cup?...Russ

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                  RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 7:31 PM (permalink)
                  I am not about to knock Miami Don's creations. They look very good to me. French dressing? Is that not the most un-secret secret sauce in the world? If people did not love it the major chains would not do it.

Miami Don has a great deal of creativity here and knows what he is doing. Of course since my hot dog tastes are rather pedestrian, I would want mine with corn relish only. I would order the other ones, though and either say hold the dog or put it on the side.

Why ruin a masterpiece? With this sort of creative cooking the dog becomes irrelevant.

PapaJoe8

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 8:40 PM (permalink)
                    I for got about the Hawaiin Puka Dog. It has fruit on it. I don't know how to do a picture, sorry.
                    Joe

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                      RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 9:12 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by BakersBoy

In the end we are purists. Pure to our own tastes. Do I put ketchup on a hotdog? Sure but I also eat them with relish, onions and chili. Come to think of it isn't chili a derivitive of a tomato, pretty much where ketchup comes from.

I also eat corned beef and cabbage, sometimes with vinegar and sometimes with butter on the vegetables. I eat french fries sometimes with ketchup and sometimes with malt vinegar. Pork chop sandwiches sometimes with mayo and fried onions and sometimes with mustard.

You get the idea. There is one rule that I will never, ever break: Pastrami and corned beef sandwichs must be served with mustard. That's just me.

BB
                      Chili is NOT a derivative of any tomato product! Chili is made with beef, chile powder, onions, bell peppers and maybe a can of tomato sauce or a can of tomatoes and beer. Not even close to kethcup.
                      Please don't confuse good chili with bad ketchup! As far as I know, there is no ketchup with beef chunks and neither is there chili made with ketchup as far as I know.

David O.

PapaJoe8

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 9:54 PM (permalink)
                        Whops Boyardee, every pot of chili I slave for hours getting just right has my sweety putting ketchup in it. Hey, at least she eats it. I would draw the line at mayo though!!!
                        Joe

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                          RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 10:26 PM (permalink)
                          As a vendor and business educator, I don't get involved in the political correctness of using ketchup on a hot dog. It's a matter of personal choice. Growing up as a Chicago baby boomer, ketchup was disallowed and isn't used on a Chicago style hot dog because it contains sugar, which takes the edge off the highly acidic tomatoes and other Chicago style condiments. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=617730

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                            RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 11:08 PM (permalink)
                            I will occasionally put just mustard and catsup on my dog.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                              RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 11:10 PM (permalink)
                              Thank you CSD for the informative story. I agree about the Chicago style dog not needing any ketchup or anything else that isn't already there. It is a great formula for the perfect dog! Also, I would not put ketchup on a Sabrett or Nathan's dog either. Just a little red onion sauce, mustard, and sometimes a little kraut. All acidic ingredients that help cut the richness of the meat.

J.M.H.O

David O.

PapaJoe8

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Tue, 03/4/08 11:37 PM (permalink)
                                CSD is righ on of coars. Nothing else needed on those delicious babys!
                                Joe

MiamiDon

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 6:36 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by boyardee65

Thank you CSD for the informative story. I agree about the Chicago style dog not needing any ketchup or anything else that isn't already there. It is a great formula for the perfect dog! Also, I would not put ketchup on a Sabrett or Nathan's dog either. Just a little red onion sauce, mustard, and sometimes a little kraut. All acidic ingredients that help cut the richness of the meat.

J.M.H.O

David O.

Well, just to keep the conversation going...

Sabrett's onion sauce contains sugar.

Ketchup contains vinegar. (i.e., acid)

MiamiDon

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 6:38 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Now yall got me thinking... Tartar Sauce! They make turkey and chicken dogs. I kinda like those. And I have seen a cheeseburger dog. Do they make a fish dog?
                                    Joe

Salmon Dog:

ShellysDawgHouse

• Total Posts: 469
                                      RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 6:39 AM (permalink)
                                      i also put ketchup sometimes when i have a chili dawg must/chili and yes wiz!!!
                                      But my new favorite is spicy brown, kraut and a new thing i am making a hot mango relish!!! the spiciness of the mustard, the tartness of the kraut and then the sweet and quite spicy mango relish. YUM O NO ketchup here.

MiamiDon

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 6:43 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:

i also put ketchup sometimes when i have a chili dawg must/chili and yes wiz!!!
                                        But my new favorite is spicy brown, kraut and a new thing i am making a hot mango relish!!! the spiciness of the mustard, the tartness of the kraut and then the sweet and quite spicy mango relish. YUM O NO ketchup here.

Good for you, Shelly! Are you using fresh mangos? I have three mango trees in the yard, and in the early summer I do mango everything.

ShellysDawgHouse

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 7:59 AM (permalink)
                                          no not at this point. but i may try it. but i can say this..... It is sooooo good. and anyone who has "dared" to try it has loved it. it is spicy/sweet and yummy

jimsock9

• Total Posts: 285
                                            RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 8:21 AM (permalink)

This morning I had 2 Boar's Head beef dogs boiling. So I decided to do my own taste test. I ate some with Plochman's mustard, some with ketchup and some plain. Much to my own surprise, I honestly liked the "plain" best of all.

MiamiDon

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 8:39 AM (permalink)
                                              Is ketchup OK on a puka dog?

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                                                RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 8:43 AM (permalink)
                                                No, but give me one with the Habenero... hey,wait even Heinz makes a hot spicey ketchup...maybe we're on to something!

Russ Jackson

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by jimsock9

This morning I had 2 Boar's Head beef dogs boiling. So I decided to do my own taste test. I ate some with Plochman's mustard, some with ketchup and some plain. Much to my own surprise, I honestly liked the "plain" best of all.

Only thing worse than Ketchup on a Hot Dog is boiling one...Russ

Next you will be putting them in a Microwave!
                                                  What is this world coming to?

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                                    • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                    RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

quote:

Didn't you notice the ""?? When gymsock uses the "", it means he's "joking".

Russ Jackson

RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

quote:

Didn't you notice the ""?? When gymsock uses the "", it means he's "joking".

I wasnt serious either. What someone puts on there Hot Dog is there business. But I reserve the right to critique. I love Ketchup but putting it on a hot dog kind of makes my stomach turn. Heck I actually put Ketchup on a Hamburger and purists think that is a sin...Russ

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                                        RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Greyghost

Why ruin a masterpiece? With this sort of creative cooking the dog becomes irrelevant.

In many places, the hotdog meat is so generic, that the toppings are what makes it a good hotdog. I struggled with that concept when I moved from Central New York to North Carolina. In CNY, there is an abundance of good hotdog producers. Therefore, the hotdog meat is special enough that toppings are not common place. While in NC, they basically sell just regular store brand style of hotdogs and the "all-the-way" hotdog, rules. NC taught me that there's no cooking method to make a generic hotdog palatable, unless you get creative with the toppings. I have gotten over my trepidation with the all-the-way hotdog philosophy. I've combined both ideas to my new perspective: when I can only get store bought style hotdogs, I make a mean chili and coleslaw for the topping. When I can get a higher quality meat, then I stick to mustards.

ChicagoIrish

• Total Posts: 71
                                                          • Location: Chicago, IL
                                                          RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                                          Being a native Chicagoan, I actually prefer my hotdogs with only mustard, chopped raw onion and celery salt. However, there are occasions when I want something different and get one with ketchup, cheese, and celery salt. I actually think that the celery salt is the best part of a dog you can get in Chicago, at least works for me. Although the quality of the hotdog is also paramount...

ShellysDawgHouse

• Location: parlin, NJ
                                                            RE: Ketchup on a hot dog Wed, 03/5/08 12:54 PM (permalink)
                                                            I have been thinking and maybe not when it comes to ketchup but, i think different dawgs need different topping. I feel some toppings compliment some dawgs but not others. (like some things taste better on a grilled dawg and some better on a dirty water dawg) i am a firm believer in this. I happen to love hebrew National dawgs on the grill and that would be the dawg i love the mustard,kraut and hot mango relish on. i don't nessarially (sp) think i would like it on a dirty water dawg. I think slaw on a dawg would be better on a grilled dawg. but i love a dirty water dawg with must/ketchup/chili and WIZ yes i said it WIZ!!!

jmo

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 13, messages 121 to 150 of 381

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com