Ketchup/Mustard Containers

Author
MissyAnn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 140
2011/07/14 09:44:48 (permalink)

Ketchup/Mustard Containers

Do you keep refilling your bottles and/or how long do you refill before you throw away?

19 Replies Related Threads

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/14 10:13:32 (permalink)
    Keep an extra set or 2, rotate out the bottles after a couple of refills & wash.    ... Nothing looks worse than dried ketchup or mustard in the top of the bottle.
    billyp
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/14 10:17:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for asking the question Missy Ann.  We are just about to start up operation and I was wondering the same thing.
    Are you using squeeze bottles and if so, what is the best method for filling squeeze bottles?  Do you use wide mouth funnels?

stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/14 11:50:29 (permalink)
    Get q couple condiment pumps like these:

http://www.acemart.com/co...y-imp905/prod5180.html

They make filling your squeeze bottles fast and easy! Plus, if you ever do a festival or event where you want to do self-serve condiments, you'll already have the pumps!
    MissyAnn
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/14 13:05:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. I bought the picnic pack of ketchup, mustard, relish at Sam's and have been reusing them. My husband and I have been using old ketchup bottles for homemade BBQ for ourselves and family and friends. I do have squeeze bottles also but found it nicer to have a better lid.
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/14 14:08:06 (permalink)
    We use the yellow mustard and red ketchup squeeze bottles we bought at Wal-Mart while in NC when we first started. I also have two sizes of clear squeeze bottles... larger size (same size as the mustard/ketchup bottles) is for the Mayo and brown mustard. The small size (Wilton Candy decorating bottle) is for the horseradish sauce because we go thru the least amount of horseradish sauce. Having one smaller than the other means we can set both bottles in one of the 1/9th pans in the cold table. I use funnels to fill our bottles. I used to use the pumps but they don't work too well once the condiment gets really low and the pumps are a PITA to deal with (jugs wont fit on a shelf with the pump attached). I put a small piece of plastic wrap over the full bottles, screw on the lids and keep in the refrigerator until needed.  For the mayo, I place a zip lock storage bag (I use a gallon size) over a quart size jar of mayo and then flip the whole mess over and shake the mayo out into the baggie. I use a flexible spatula to scrape the jar. Seal the baggie and clip a corner off to make a small 1/4" hole. Then I can just squeeze the mayo into the bottles. Any left in the baggie is placed into another large baggie, excess air squeezed from both bags and sealed.  I like the clear bottles best. The red and yellow bottles are hard to see how much is inside and harder to see if you got all the dried condiments out. We also use a clear squeeze bottle like the mayo one for the brown mustard.

I will make up several at a time. As we empty them, they are placed back in the fridge until I have about 4 or 5  at which time I wash, sanitize and dry them. We keep 1 of each bottle on the cart daily. We have a total of 3 mayo, 2 horseradish,  2 brown mustard, 4 ketchup and 5 yellow mustard. All filled is stored in the refrigerator set aside for the cart foods.  I have extra bottles stored in case a bottle is damaged and I need to swap it out. This is what's working for us.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2011/07/14 14:09:57
    MissyAnn
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/14 16:04:36 (permalink)
    Thanks Lorna.  That is what I was going to do with these.  I have a couple sets.
    billyp
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/14 18:13:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the good ideas.  You all are the best!
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/15 18:06:17 (permalink)
    stubby77

Get q couple condiment pumps like these:

http://www.acemart.com/co...y-imp905/prod5180.html

They make filling your squeeze bottles fast and easy! Plus, if you ever do a festival or event where you want to do self-serve condiments, you'll already have the pumps!

just a tip on these pumps : when you put them into your ketchup or mustard containers assuming you have the big containers with the coated ring of paper, dont pull that paper off,, keep it there and just pierce a hole to fit the pump so when you want to you can empty it easier, the pumps will never get all the ketchup out, just hold the tub upside down and squeez the product will only come out of the small hole you peirced not all over the squirt bottle or what ever....
    B and B
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/15 22:39:03 (permalink)
    We use the pump for ketchup and mustard but like Lorna stated, the tops don't pump down and turn around to close, which makes it difficult to put in refrigerators.  And like others have said, they don't pump too well if it gets too low.  We might go back to squeeze bottles and just use the pumps to fill them.  Also don't bother with a relish pump.  Cripes, I spent 17 bucks on one and it doesn't work for #$@*   It either pumps out the juice or clogs up and then sprays out the relish.  At this point we are using Gladware with cutouts for the spoons or forks for the bulky condiments.  Not the nicest display and kind of unsanitary to me but we're new and don't have big bucks to spend on a more elaborate system and I'm kind of fanatic about keeping the utensils clean (too many people handling the utensils for my liking). 
    Have you seen the relish setup at a Costco?  Kinda fancy!  I love the onion cutter, but that's from my perspective as THE onion cutter - not sure how people would like always grinding up their own onions. 
    lornaschinske
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/15 23:29:49 (permalink)
    B and B
      At this point we are using Gladware with cutouts for the spoons or forks for the bulky condiments.  Not the nicest display and kind of unsanitary to me but we're new and don't have big bucks to spend on a more elaborate system and I'm kind of fanatic about keeping the utensils clean (too many people handling the utensils for my liking)...

We use regular tableware (lightweight) metal teaspoons. I bought a whole box of them at a restaurant supply store in Albuquerque.  They are used in the shredded cheese, relish, and onions. For the chili, we use iced tea spoons (lightweight so we can bend the handle). Kraut, pickle chips, sliced tomatoes and lettuce gets ice tongs (the kind with little "claws"). Also those type tongs are good for picking the bread up off the griddle to see if it is toasted enough. We do not let our customers play in the condiments. We put those on ourselves since we do no charge extra for them.  BBQ gets a ladle and the hot dogs gets silicone tipped ice tongs that I bought at a huge liquor store.
    B and B
    Hamburger
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/16 08:57:37 (permalink)
    Lorna, I'm kind of in awe of how much you do yourself!  We don't serve 1/2 of what you do and yet putting on all the relish/condiments to order seems overwhelming to me when it gets busy.  And we have 2 of us working!  Partly its our cart that doesn't have the room to hold all of them (so I can reach them quickly).  Now with our canopy, we can put the condiment table in the shade most of the midday.  My brother does most of the orders and I take money, grab sodas and refill as he needs.  We let the customers put most of their condiments on except for the Chicago style condiments - which we do.   We usually have mini mobs of people and I don't know if they would wait that long for us.  It isn't exactly foot traffic as they are trying to get to their cars and get going as fast as possible.  

lornaschinske
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/16 10:47:34 (permalink)
    We have yet to have anyone complain about our speed. Even at the auctions. So I guess we are pretty fast. It takes longer to grill the bread than it does for us to put the condiments on. Since we have so many condiments to choose from the decision making takes longer. We could not offer all the condiments we do if we allowed the customers to put them on themselves. IE: the shredded lettuce has to be kept wrapped up or the dry dessert air would suck all the moisture out and wilt the lettuce in less than an hour.  I do know that we are WAY faster than the local Sonic. We ate there last week because I wanted a milkshake. Took "forever" and they screwed up the order AGAIN! Easy order... 2 (#2) double cheeseburgers.... PLAIN with tots and two shakes. We got one burger plain and the other had everything. I don't think those burgers were made with beef either. They made me sick just like soy does and they did not taste like beef. I guess I either stick with homemade "Daddy burgers" (David makes a good burger) or go to Cracker Barrel... 70 miles away. Rant over but that just bugs the crap out of me... just give me the food the way I ordered it!

Because our cart is so small, everything is right there at our fingertips. It was designed for a single person to work it. David & I have been in "kitchens" most of our lives (building, installing, remodeling) and I was a Kitchen and Bath Designer "once upon a time"... I love tiny houses (1000 sf and under) and tiny kitchens are a favourite thing to design for me. So when we started laying out the cart, we put the knowledge we had to work for ourselves. It's a snug fit for two to operate at the time (David & I have worked for together since before we were married... 30+ years ago) but doable for long stretches of time (like day long events). On the street we do single person and everything is two steps with the cash drawer/serving counter 3 steps.  For a basic loaded hot dog with TRULY everything (mayo, mustard, ketchup, chili, kraut, onions, relish, shredded cheese, lettuce and tomato slices), from the time we get the bun out to the time we slide it out to the customer, takes about 45 seconds... a minute if we are being slow. We drain off the excess juice from the kraut and relish if needed so that adds a couple of seconds to the fixing. Wrapping in foil adds a few seconds. We are usually building the sandwich as the customer is deciding on condiments. So our only thing is we try to get the mayo/ketchup/mustard/horseradish on first. for the delis we put the bread on the griddle to toast then put the prepackaged meat on next. Then we ask what condiments they want. First we ask if they want cheese because when we flip the meat, we turn the griddle off and put the cheese onto melt while we finish prepping the sandwich. As the customer names then off, we put the squeeze bottle either on the counter where we are prepping the sandwich or on one of the condiment lids, we set the condiment lids slightly off the bin as it is chosen so we remember.  We check the bread while the condiments are being chosen. Pull a sheet of foil and put the toasted bread on the foil, flip the meat, do squeeze bottle stuff first, then the remainder of the toppings, pull the meat (and melted cheese if ordered) and place on the bun, fold bun back up and turn diagonally on the foil, wrap sandwich and give to the customer.  With BBQ, we just toast the bun possibly add onions or pickle chip and wrap. So toasting the bun is the longest thing there. The brats and Kielbasa take the longest to cook (both are now on the griddle) with the brat on a steamed hot dog bun and the split Kielbasa on a toasted Kaiser roll but putting condiments on doesn't take much time. Just takes practice. We just can't make the burner/griddle toast the bread any faster. Not a big deal since the customers are running out of money here. Town is way too small and the folks here are running out of $$. My daughter is now an assistant manager at a dollar store and their deposits have been dropping $200 per week for a month now. My other daughter is working at a coffee shop/cafe and she says they have days like ours... 2 to 5 customers and they stay open longer hours. Our business is getting pretty pathetic. Hopefully with the college students heading back it will pick back up. Right now the whole town is waiting for the college students to come back. We have acquired a lot of summer students as customers over the summer. The school had less than 50 students for the summer so they shut down the cafeteria to save money. The summer students have discovered what a bargain we are (more meat for the money) and have been telling their friends who aren't here about us. We gotta get out of this town, it's just too small. We estimate the normal, non-college population is about 2K.
    B and B
    Hamburger
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/17 11:28:36 (permalink)
    Lorna - still and even more in awe!  :)   I love how you describe the process of the small details that go into the making of a single order!  You are a detail person for sure!  Me ... not so much.  My mother always wanted one of her daughters to be a nurse or in the med field.  NOT ME!  In this age of high tech nursing, I'd kill someone. 
    I was a Correctional Sgt. for 20 yrs in a min. security work release center.  Good job but when new management moved in, most of the old guard moved out.  Resigned to take care of my father till he passed thinking I'd slide into an office position w/ the State for a few remaining years.  Economy tanked and ... well you know full well how bad it is but I'm trying not to worry how much worse it can get. 
    I didn't know anything about the cart biz and couldn't even picture it in my head, but my brother has been in food & liquor industry forever and talked me into it.  Even in this month alone, I've come to realize I've developed a style that I'd like to implement but I need to learn more and so follow his lead - which is not always in sync with him.  We are opposites in many ways but still get along and work well together most of the time.   We get a laugh out of ourselves because when we are loading/setting up or tearing down/putting away - if someone or something breaks our rhythm we get all discombobulated! 
    Thanks for detailing how you operate.  It makes sense to me and I'd like to see how we can incorporate more of it.  We have some thoughts of how to grow and how it might be to work individually. 
    Thanks and good luck with your business. 
    Beth

Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/18 00:52:20 (permalink)
    I would like someone to show me how a small-medium volume cart profits from bulk filling.
    we use to run numbers all the time on everything. It is cheaper to buy ketchup and mustard from the grocery store on sale than bulk. Bought all our condiments reg. size containers and tossed when empty. Started out with bulk filling but could not see the difference. Kroger has sales that run in cycles. Most stores do on certain articles. Knew when the store was to have their sale and I would stop at customer service and order cases of what we needed for what was ahead. Worked for me.
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/18 20:53:29 (permalink)
    curby... they had krogers back then??" />
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/18 21:53:50 (permalink)
    I just use the store bought bottles that  have the label on them so folks know what they are getting. Easy for them, easy for me.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/18 23:38:58 (permalink)
    Buck & Vi's

Buck    I just moved here in '02 from Tampa. Had Publix there.

lornaschinske
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/19 17:06:29 (permalink)
    Curbside Grill

Buck & Vi's

Buck    I just moved here in '02 from Tampa. Had Publix there.

I  miss Publix. Had one in FL and found one in GA. It was worth driving From Cordele to Albany. I love their produce... and the bakery... and the deli!  Their meats/seafood are great too. I miss Publix.

I can't get Chutney in this town!!! Was going to make Country Captain but no chutney in any of the grocery stores. So I bought a mango-pineapple fruit spread. I know, won't be Country Captain but I did get a jar of curry powder. We'll eat it just the same and wait until I can find Chutney. Got plenty of those POS tortillas but can't find room on the shelves for something I have found from FL to VA and VA to TX.  Bet I could get it at PUBLIX!!!
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2011/07/19 17:10:41
    zumguteetz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Ketchup/Mustard Containers 2011/07/20 16:53:51 (permalink)
    I get the large plastic containers of ketchup & mustard and put pump tops on them. We keep pumping until they are almost empty and then put the very last into squeeze bottles for our use and put NEW pump containers out for our customers to use.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1