The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Key Largo: Mrs. Mac's Kitchen, Fish House Encore, Hobo's and Buzzard's Roost.

Prof

• Total Posts: 41
Key Largo: Mrs. Mac's Kitchen, Fish House Encore, Hobo's and Buzzard's Roost. Fri, 09/16/11 11:59 AM (permalink)

We spent a week scuba diving and eating around Key Largo and thought we would share our restaurant experiences.

We ate at Mrs. Mac's Kitchen three times: a breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had a conventional breakfast of eggs, toast, crispy bacon, all cooked perfectly to order. The unconventional addition was Mrs. Mac's hashbrown casserole which seemed to be made of roughly mashed hashbrown potatoes, finely diced onion and medium cheddar cheese. Excellent breakfast fare.

For lunch I had Hogfish Enrique which was maybe the best meal I had this week. It was a panko breaded, generous filet of hogfish, mounded with diced, fresh tomatoes, green onions, melted cheddar cheese and drizzled with a clear, spicey reduction, I think of white wine and just a light squeeze of lemon in the same pan. The side was black beans and rice. I like spicy food and this was perfect for my palate. My companions had the fried fish platter which contained french fried potato coins, shrimp, scallops and dolphin filet. Some regretted they had the fish fried instead of broiled or sauteed because the fish was so fresh. A word about fish choice. The restaurants all offer mahi mahi but charge extra for grouper, hogfish and yellowtail and don't always tell you.

Dinner was actually the first meal we had at Mrs Mac's and we both ordered sauteed hogfish which was perfectly done and finished with a white wine, lemon reduction.  Be sure to save room for the Key Lime Freeze for dessert.  It tastes like Key Lime Pie Milkshake and is huge, enough  for two people.

We also favored the Fish House Encore. It seems to be the more elegant twin of the Fish House next door and which was closed for September. The Encore has al fresco seating in a fountained court yard but September is too hot for us Northerners to sit outside. We ate in the dining room once and the bar area once. Eat in the bar for live entertainment. Our first meal consisted of a sample from the sushi bar. I had two unagi sashimi. Lisa had rainbow roll also well prepared. We shared a bowl of conch chowder. It was prepared New England style with chunky potato pieces and vegetables in a spicy, light, creamy broth. Lisa had pan sauteed hogfish. It was perfectly cooked and had what we believed was a light soy sauce glaze. It was so good, Lisa ordered it the second time we were there. I had a green salad with pan seared chunks of fresh tuna for an entree at one meal. For a second meal I had the Key Largo Encore, which was panko breaded hogfish topped with diced red and yellow peppers and parmesan cheese. We would gladly order any of these meals again.

Hobo's Restaurant can always be relied on for good, basic food at a reasonable price. We had a very good smoked fish dip for appetizer. It was Mexican food night so I had fish tacos with mahi mahi, cabbage and salsa. Lisa had seafood chimichanga. Plenty of beans and rice on the side.

I posted a less favorable review of Buzzards Roost under that restaurant's title on the map page.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com