The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Key Lime pie outside of Florida?

athensgreece

• Total Posts: 7
Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Fri, 05/4/07 11:44 AM (permalink)
Hi all
This is my first post on this great forum.
My husband and I are going to be traveling around the southwest (Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Tennessee) in July and August. I've never eaten Key Lime pie but have always dreamed about it. Unfortunately we're not going to Florida, but was wondering whether anyone could recommend a place to eat the real thing somewhere along our travels.
thanks for your help.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
    RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Fri, 05/4/07 12:38 PM (permalink)
    Welcome!!! I can't speak to the area that you are visiting as far as Key Lime Pie goes. When I have been there I don't remember seeing the pie for sale. A google search will show you a lot of good places in Key West, and some of them ship. You have several other options. One is to make it yourself. It is easy, if you can find the right kind of limes ("Key" vice "Persian"). You can also go to the frozen section at your supermarket. I like www.mariepies.com/product.php?cat=Thaw and Serve Pies&prod=Key Lime Pie The thaw and serv product, though not as good as the real thing in Key West, is far superior to some of the junk I have seen in restaurants around here. (for some reason I can't link directly to the Key Lime product. My link gets you to the Marie site, but you will have to move to the "product" section yourself). Have a fun trip!!! BTW, if you dp a search of the "Restaurants" section of this site, you will find some kool places where you are going.

Tony Bad

RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Fri, 05/4/07 12:48 PM (permalink)
      If your travels take you through NY City, look into this http://www.stevesauthentic.com/

Can't say where it ranks in the scale of pies, but they are mighty good!

KOK

• Total Posts: 333
        RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Fri, 05/4/07 12:49 PM (permalink)
        Trader Joe's has a pretty good Key lime pie in the freezer case.

If your'e ever in the Washington, DC area, Ray's the Steaks in Arlington, Va, and Ray's the Classics in Silver Spring, Md has one of the best Key lime pies I've ever had.

Thanks,

Kevin

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
          RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Sat, 05/5/07 1:33 AM (permalink)
          While I can't name any specific place for you to try, I would urge you to order Key Lime Pie whenever you see it on the menu. A good Key Lime Pie will be kept cold, but tastes best when it comes to room temperature. The crust should be made of crushed graham crackers, but you will find many made with a pastry crust. The filling should be a dull yellowish green in color. Don't order any that look bright green.

If you have several opportunities, you hopefully will find a good one to remember. Some of the better steakhouses serve Key Lime Pie. But stop in at the grocery store WHOLE FOODS MARKET, theirs is pretty good. They even have individual tarts. I know they have stores in many Texas cities.

athensgreece

RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Sat, 05/5/07 4:43 AM (permalink)
            Thanks, great suggestions. We will actually be making a stop in NY so we'll see if we can get hold of Steve's pies. And I'll check out Whole foods grocery.
            I'll be posting back in the regional forum once our itinerary is clearer for some more suggestions about where to eat.
            Thanks for your help.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
              RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Sat, 05/5/07 1:21 PM (permalink)
              By all means post your itinerary so we can get more specific with recommendations, although there is already a wealth of information on this site.

I'm just curious, why Key Lime pie as the thing you most want to try?

And on a personal note, I'll be cruising in the Med in October with a call at Pireaus. I'd love to get some information from a "local". If you are so inclined, please click on my name and contact me via e-mail. Thanks.

jewelrygirl

• Total Posts: 9
                RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Sat, 05/5/07 1:35 PM (permalink)
                If you want a GREAT piece of Key Lime Pie, and you visit Dallas, you must stop at one of the two "Houstons" Restaurants...Their Key Lime Pie is WONDERFUL!!!

athensgreece

RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Sat, 05/5/07 3:44 PM (permalink)
                  For starters, I'm intrigued by the lime/condensed milk combination. And then Key lime pie is just one of those things I've read about lots but have never come across where I've lived.

But it's definitely not the only thing I'll be looking to eat while I'll be in America! Reading this forum is a revelation - I'm discovering a ton of dishes I'd never heard of. Can't wait to try them all...

Signman - more than happy to give you info about Piraeus. I'll send you a message.

angeltearsmc

• Total Posts: 319
                    RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Sat, 05/5/07 4:34 PM (permalink)
                    If you come through northeast Tennessee, Cootie Brown's in Johnson City (and Kingsport) has an amazing key lime pie, of the non-meringue persuasion.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                      RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Tue, 05/8/07 7:53 AM (permalink)
                      I'll second the suggestion for trying the Marie Callender frozen key lime pie --- for a good quick pie you can get at the grocery it's pretty good.

Andrea

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                        RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Tue, 05/8/07 8:02 AM (permalink)
                        a REAL Key Lime Pie should not even have a hint of green in the filling. I use real Key Limes, only Eagle Brand condensed milk, and 4 jumbo yolks per pie. It's very simple....beat all the above, pour into shell and put in 350 oven for about 5 minutes (to set only). Remove and let cool. I much prefer real whipped cream versus meringue. I think it's best served at room temperature.

BTB

• Total Posts: 207
                          RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Tue, 05/8/07 9:06 AM (permalink)
                          I absolutely love good key lime pie. Unfortunately even in central Florida it is hard to find a good version of it. I disagree with the statement above that the "crust should be made of crushed graham crackers." True key lime pie comes with a flaky pastry crust, not graham crackers.

All the good key lime pie places in Key West that I know of do not use graham crackers, but it somehow got to be used in many recipes for some reason, and I guess some like it that way. I definitely prefer it with the flaky pastry crust. The frozen versions of it are always easier to do with graham cracker, of course, as it handles the freezing process better than pastry crust. And, of course, the filling should never have a green color to it.

Jim Ross

• Total Posts: 314
                            RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Tue, 05/8/07 2:42 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by signman

.... I would urge you to order Key Lime Pie whenever you see it on the menu......

I have kind of mixed feelings about signman's advice if you have never had Key Lime Pie at all. I love key lime pie, and if it's on the menu I usually order it. But many times I've been disappointed. There aren't a lot of places that do them right unfortuantely. Many places outside of southern Florida sell a lime flavored cheesecake and call it key lime pie...NOT the same. If you don't know what a really good key lime pie tastes like you might come away thinking it's overblown and not order it again. I know for years I didn't think they were anything special and passed them over until I had a really good one on a trip to Florida. Now I always order them on the chance that I might find a good one.

Doesn't sound like you'll get there, but my favorite place for Key Lime Pie is Tark's Crab Shack in Dania Beach Florida.

Enjoy your visit

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                              RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Tue, 05/8/07 3:23 PM (permalink)
                              Here is a link to Nellie & Joe's key lime juice. It's readily available here in NJ, but if it isn't by you you can order it online. I've used it many times with wonderful results. Come to think of it - the weather is getting warmer and a key lime pie would be a perfect end to the day! Sue

http://keylimejuice.com/

athensgreece

RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Wed, 05/9/07 9:07 AM (permalink)
                                Thanks all. I want to try a really good one before I attempt to make it myself, so I know what it should taste like. You've given me lots of ideas for how to get hold of some throughout our travels.

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
                                  RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Sat, 05/12/07 2:04 AM (permalink)
                                  Chances are the farther you get from Florida, the harder it will be to find it, and if you do, it might not be as fresh or authentic as the ones in the Keys.

It's one of my favorite pies and I will always order it if I see it on the menu.
                                  On our trip to Key West a few years ago, I made sure I ordered it at every restaurant. We also visited both Blond Giraffes. Had it frozen and dipped in chocolate, and also both with and without meringue topping. My mother-in-law in Miami made one for me before our trip to Key West. Conclusion: mom's won hands down. It was simple, tart, and tasty. Blond Giraffe's was too sweet.

Costco makes a very good key lime cheesecake that is sweet and tart, very addicting. Unfortunately, it is seasonal and only available a few weeks during the year.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                    RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Sat, 05/12/07 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                    The Red Lobster Restaurant has a wonderful key lime pie.

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
                                      RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Fri, 05/25/07 4:22 AM (permalink)
                                      I went to Costco today, and their Key Lime pie was out! It is a seasonal item, available only for a short time. I just had to buy it. Seems no one has a passion for key lime pies in my housw so guess I might have to eat the whole thing myself.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                        RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Thu, 05/31/07 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                        This is the recipe that I used when I lived in Fla.
                                        We had a Key Lime tree in our back yard.
                                        I almost cried when we closed on the sale of the house and had to throw all the frozen juice away.
                                        From Joes Stone Crab in Miami Beach.
                                        (Note, when it says Limes, they mean Key Limes)

http://www.joesstonecrab.com/recipes/keylime.html

KOK

• Total Posts: 333
                                          RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Fri, 06/1/07 2:56 PM (permalink)
                                          Can anyone give an opinion on The Atlanta Cheesecake Company Key Lime Pie? They have it at BJ's Wholesale but the two employees I asked if it was Key Lime pie or Key Lime cheesecake sort of shook their heads and didn't know (I was waiting for a bit of drool to come out of their mouths due to their vacant looks).

Does anyone know if it's pie or if it's cheesecake? Is it any good?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

bss717

• Total Posts: 27
                                            RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Fri, 06/1/07 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                            If you make it to Knoxville, TN - best key lime pie I ever had is from the Orangery restaurant.

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
                                              RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Mon, 06/4/07 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                              Dinosaur BBQ in New York City (125th Street) has tremendous key lime pie, tyhe best I've ever had. (Oh, and awesome ribs, too!) - Rusty

Quanman

• Total Posts: 1
                                                RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Sun, 07/15/07 2:15 PM (permalink)
                                                I have travled alot and have had Key Lime Pie in Florida and a few other places down south. But I have got to admit that the best Key Lime Pie that I have ever eaten is Fred's Famous Pies in Cincinnati. This is a small Gourmet Pie shop in a suburb outside of Cincinnati called Milford

TxTee

• Total Posts: 8
                                                  RE: Key Lime pie outside of Florida? Wed, 08/8/07 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                                  A good key lime pie requires a "time out" between bites to let the tongue recover. I've only had it that good on the Keys in Fla.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com