Kidneys

Author
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 988
2011/10/10 10:29:04 (permalink)

Kidneys

I was watching the Two Fat Ladies the other night on the Cooking Channel.  Jennifer was preparing kidneys.  I haven't seen them in the market for years!  Does anyone still eat them?  I had them a couple of times when I was a kid, but not since.  As I recall they were rather nasty.

10 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Kidneys 2011/10/10 14:41:59 (permalink)
    Not that I am aware of.........
    ChrisOC
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 988
    Re:Kidneys 2011/10/11 15:44:37 (permalink)
    I guess no one wants to talk about kidneys.  People must eat them though, I came up with a ton of recipes on Google.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6724
    Re:Kidneys 2011/10/12 08:30:25 (permalink)
    I often ate veal kidneys when I lived in France.  Unfortunately I have never found them here in the States.  I suppose if I lived in a large city I could find them in a butcher shop somewhere.  I find them delicious!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10199
    Re:Kidneys 2011/10/12 17:41:37 (permalink)
    You need to go to England to readily find them on Menus.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Kidneys 2011/10/13 10:18:51 (permalink)
    My mother owned a cat that would eat only kidneys - or, at least, that's what she believed. Therefore she always had a stock of calf kidneys in her refrigerator and the local butcher kept her well supplied. And, therefore, she sometimes made a sort of rich ragout of kidneys or a steak and kidney pie, both of which were delicious.
    Until about ten years ago our local supermarket usually had kidneys and liver and tripe and even sometimes sweetbreads and brains in the meat coolers. Now, if I want any of those items I have to travel to Kingston where there's a good butcher shop that carries them. However, as my wife won't eat any of the organs ( she did brave it out for a lot of years), it's all academic anyhow and I have to luck out at a restaurant sometimes when I'll find some organs on the menu.

Cheer, John     
    jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1184
    Re:Kidneys 2011/10/13 11:05:06 (permalink)
    I don't eat anything where the recipe starts with instructions to rinse the item in cold water until the ammonia smell is gone.
    Laserwolf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Kidneys 2011/10/14 10:50:21 (permalink)
    Quite a few years ago I saw Kidneys at my local grocery store. The only thing I could think of at the time that would include them is Steak and Kidney Pie. They were so cheap I felt obligated to buy them and gave it a try. It came out alright, but Kidneys really aren't for me. I'm a big fan of foods with a chewy texture, like gizzards, but not of foods that have strong iron or organ flavors like Livers or Kidneys. Also, they are a bit weird to handle with all the connecting tissue and have a bit of a gamey smell to them when raw.

The little darker reddish brown pieces are the kidneys.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5018
    Re:Kidneys 2011/10/14 13:14:24 (permalink)
    jmckee

I don't eat anything where the recipe starts with instructions to rinse the item in cold water until the ammonia smell is gone.

Ah, but once you get them rinsed...well, "urine" for a treat!

(Actually I don't like them but I can't resist the chance to make a bad pun.)

Brad
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    Re:Kidneys 2011/10/14 15:38:07 (permalink)
    I have eaten many a strange thing, but Kidneys are not on my list of things to eat again.

I did have then mixed in with Haggis before and then they weren't that bad, but straight kidneys......

Like laserwolf  said irony and gamey are not my favorite flavors.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Kidneys 2011/10/15 11:18:58 (permalink)
    seafarer john

My mother owned a cat that would eat only kidneys - or, at least, that's what she believed. Therefore she always had a stock of calf kidneys in her refrigerator and the local butcher kept her well supplied. And, therefore, she sometimes made a sort of rich ragout of kidneys or a steak and kidney pie, both of which were delicious.
    Until about ten years ago our local supermarket usually had kidneys and liver and tripe and even sometimes sweetbreads and brains in the meat coolers. Now, if I want any of those items I have to travel to Kingston where there's a good butcher shop that carries them. However, as my wife won't eat any of the organs ( she did brave it out for a lot of years), it's all academic anyhow and I have to luck out at a restaurant sometimes when I'll find some organs on the menu.

Cheer, John     

John.
    Many years ago, when I could find them, I would get kidneys for my kitty.  she loved them.  It has been years since I've seen kidneys.  I could problably get them at my local butcher, but alas now not cat.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1