Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive?

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2012/07/22 03:00:48 (permalink)

Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive?

This is the second year that I've read that drivers ed is down and only 67% of 18 y/o have learned to drive or want to. I don't get this demographic. That was the ticket to freedom. I had both of mine road worthy by 16. This isn't about affordability, this is supposed to be about internet, social media, public transportation availability, and choosing to live in the inner city. It doesn't make sense especially if you have to work for a living. I don't know how it's in other big cities, but down here you couldn't depend on reliable mass transportation if you wanted to hold a job. In fact, posession of a valid DL and your own transportation is a core requirement in most of the jobs I ever had even though it had nothing to do with duties. Mom and Dad must be offering a better deal complete with meals I guess.

19 Replies Related Threads

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/22 03:40:49 (permalink)
    It's a long process for teen drivers to get a license without major restrictions in NJ. Much different than the permit to quick road test to license to drive and off you go on your own.

http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/teen-drivers.php

They hit the road...but Mommy has to ride shotgun for a good long time.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/07/22 03:51:58
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/22 08:45:49 (permalink)
    Driver Ed in public high schools has, in many locations, moved from a 'free' class to a limited enrollment, pay-for-enrollment, after school or weekend type of experience.  The charge for this class at our local high school is $400, and only 6 kids at a time can take the class, thus cutting the numbers enrolled by a large percentage from the days of 6 kids each class period of the day and one before and one after school.  Many of todays kids can't find time in their busy schedules to take this elective class. Summer Drivers Ed classes fill rapidly here.
    The second factor is the complexity of the licensing process mentioned by others in their posts.  The old days of "permit at 15 and a half and DL at sixteen are fading fast.  Many states have expanded the amount of supervised driving a kid can do before going solo, and even more before carrying his/her peers as passengers.  'Cinderella Curfews, Higher minimum ages, and horrific insurance costs also affect the numbers, B U T, at least in this area, the social pressure to get that Permit and License is as heavy as ever among the kids who hang with my grand kids.!!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10259
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 04:26:37 (permalink)
    In AZ:
    1. Present two forms of valid identification, including one with your photo.
    2. If 16 to 18, A parent must sign the kids application for a learners permit and License.
    3. Kid must take an eye test, a written test and a driving test in an Arizona-registered and insured vehicle.
    4. Pay the appropriate fee for your age. As of 2010, fees were $25 for those ages 16 to 39.
    5. Pose for your license photo and wait for your Arizona driver's license to be created.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 06:41:18 (permalink)
    I would think that restrictions prior to the 18th birthday are not accounting for the fact that college age kids are having too many challenges getting their license. That may be the inital case hampering some of them before the age of 18, but this appears to be a changing demographic attitude shift, less about car/insurance affordability. It almost seems as the younger vestige of gen Y don't seem to want to take on any responsibility or avoid it as long as possible, especially the boys. The implications of a decline of drivers is apparently enough to have the auto industry worried. 
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 08:27:56 (permalink)
    Maybe unwilling to assist parents account for a large percentage of the percentage of whatever study that claims this the case.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 09:22:44 (permalink)
    I have seen or heard somewhere in the news remarks about lower attendance at National Parks and outdoor recreations area. The editorial point been made was that the younger generation seems to have less desire to physically experience those places, but prefer to do it via the media/films in a less streneous environment...example the IMAX Screen tour of Zion N P , near the entrance to ZION Nat'l Park that draws as many visitors as the Park does.
    I am sorry I do not have a source(s) for this, but have heard it more than once in the past couple of years.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18450
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 11:32:00 (permalink)
    Drivers ed in the school was scrapped here more than ten years ago. Although it was available at the time our daughters took it from aprivate firm. My grandson also had to use a driving school. With a learner permit my grandson had to have 50 hours of driving with a parent or guardian (mostly me) in addition to his driving school instruction before being allowed to get a license.
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 13:17:29 (permalink)
    Don't want to turn this into another subject but if I lived somewhere that I could get by without a car I would be sorely tempted. I have relatives in Queens that are in their 80's and have never owned a car.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 15:07:21 (permalink)
    In this area it's impossible to rely solely on driving. Due to traffic and lack of parking (or the time restrictions that mean being towed)...a combination of both driving and public transportation is a very nice luxury. If one method of transport had to go...it would without a doubt be the drive.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/...public-transit-cities/
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/07/23 15:24:36
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3501
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 15:55:30 (permalink)
    It is WAY  harder to get a license than it used to be. When I took driver's ed, it was offered for free every summer at my high school. A three-week classroom course, a one-day closed course driving section, and one day on the road with an instructor. If you were 15, you got a permit stating you could only drive with an adult over 21 in the car until you got a real license at 16. If you were 16 or older, you waited 30 days and were a fully licensed driver with no restrictions.

Now...yeah. My niece just turned 17, and she still hasn't earned her learner's permit. She's taken something like 20 hours of classroom, a week on a closed course, and a week with an instructor on the road. She is allowed to drive only with one of her actual parents, with no more than one other person under the age of 21 in the car, only between 9am and 6pm. After she plays this game for another couple of months, then she'll be able to drive with any adult over the age of 21 (if her parents provide them with written permission), still no more than one person under the age of 21, and then only during certain hours or to certain events outside of those hours. Not until she is 18 will she get an actual driver's license.

Especially if a kid lives where there is public transportation, or where things are within walking or biking distance, I can see why they would not be interested in jumping through all the hoops to get a license.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18450
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 17:50:20 (permalink)
    When I got my drivers license in Connecticut you had to be 16, and no driving course was required. (Yes, that was just about the time motor vehicles were known as horseless carriages.) You just had to pass a written test and a road test. I was 14 when I got my license, though.

I'd been driving a truck delivering meat for my father's company, and one of the delivery stops was the Connecticut State Police barracks then in Westbrook, where, by the way, they issued drivers licenses in addition to their other duties.

One day, as I was carrying in a hindquarter of beef a trooper asked me how old I was. I told him I was 14 and he said something along the lines of "Oh, shoot!" I'd been delivering there for about a year. He called a sergeant in and they talked while I was hanging the meat in their cooler.

When I headed back out to the truck to get the rest of the delivery they stopped me and told me to look at a representation of a traffic light and tell them what colors I saw. When I did that they brought me over to a desk and wrote up a drivers license, with my date of birth not quite what it really was.

That didn't do a thing for me with my father. He wouldn't let me drive his car till I was 16.

ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 18:57:02 (permalink)
    I actually failed on my 1st two attempts at the road test in California in 1964. You were allowed 3 tries. I was 16 at the time. The thing is I had been driving since I was about 14 on the ranch where I grew up. On topic I'm not sure if I were a city kid I would care that much about the expense of owning a car.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 21:35:33 (permalink)
    The very good part of this vs. when I got my license (1986) is that the guys I knew worked and had a car...but all they did was work to have that car (iROC-Z) and not much else.

The future for them was the summer...T-Tops a tan and Seaside Heights...maybe. Most of them could not afford to get there because of the expenses. So the IROC @ South Beach on Staten Island...or LIberty State Park was as far as they could get.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/23 22:59:05 (permalink)
    My daughter was gung-ho for driving, and then all of a sudden it didn't matter. Then when she was 17, she needed her license so she could drive to school as a high school senior.

Now she's a senior in college. She'd wanted (and didn't get) a car her last couple years, but now she's not interested in one, and thinks it will be a drain on her time and limited resources. She's right, of course.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/24 23:46:07 (permalink)
    My son never came close to getting his license in portland where it was never needed. Portland students ride free on trimet until they graduate. he got his license in southern california in a month.

bartl
    • Total Posts : 1311
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/26 22:24:05 (permalink)
    When I was in high school (class of '74) in New York, driver's ed was $125 dollars. Early 1970's dollars, that is. And, if I got a driver's license, my father's insurance would automatically go up, even if I didn't drive the car a single inch. That, plus bicycle riding skills honed on the streets of Amsterdam and New York's great public transportation system kept me from getting a license until I was 27.

Bart
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/26 22:42:21 (permalink)
    I don't think my Mother intended my to get my license until I was 27. I took my road test in my 10 year old 1976 Chevy Impala. How I parked that monster between the two cone on the first try...is a miracle. I also only needed to pay for 3 parking meters when I parked on the street...and a full tank of gas may have lasted until I reached Jersey City. Maybe.
    BearHit
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/30 10:41:45 (permalink)
    Got mine in Illinois on my 16th birthday  (1978) - no restrictions existed at that time as far as ages and quantity of passengers - we must have ruined it for all the youngsters
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Kids No Longer Want To Learn To Drive? 2012/07/30 12:15:13 (permalink)
    Uh huh. Blasting music from the 8-Track with the fuzzy dice on the mirror.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1