Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2006/05/15 08:59:22 (permalink)
Tara, when it comes to coney sauce, dont ask... Just enjoy! Remember it's a condiment, not a meal...

booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2006/05/15 10:05:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by markolenski

Any clues on a copy of Kuhns chili.

Mark,

I wish!

http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1546&SearchTerms=danny's
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2006/09/18 13:12:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Stogie

I have to throw my 2 cents in here......

If any of you have ever eaten a Greek style coney dog, you have ingested a huge amount of lard. Here is the most authentic coney dog recipe I have ever collected. It comes from a place in Detroit...sorry, but I am sworn to secrecy. The deceased owner claims any good Greek will load up his coney sauce with lard. This recipe calls for 1 cup of lard per pound of meat..that means 6 cups in Craig's recipe. So, if you have eaten a Greek coney dog in Detroit and loved it...chances are you have eaten something similar to Craig's recipe.

BTW...NOT taking sides!! Just passing on what many folks...including me...think is the best coney sauce on the planet.

Enjoy!!

Original Greek Coney Sauce

1 pound Ground beef
1 cup lard
1 medium Onion(s), diced
1/3 cup Chili powder
2 teaspoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Cumin powder
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Basil, dried
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Oregano, dried

PREPARATION:
To get the right consistency, cover the meat with water and soak, in the fridge, for about 30 minutes. Then take a fork and break up any remaining chunks. Drain the water and go on to browning. You will have some water while browning but it will slowly steam off.
Brown beef, onion and shortening.
Add remaining ingredients.
Simmer for 2 hours. You may have to add some water.
This freezes well.

I made this over the weekend with a few slight modifications and it was good. The modifications were I added Celery Seeds just 'cause I like Celery seeds and I saw them in another sauce recipe. I also added Ice to the water for soaking the meat and lined a colander with 1 layer of Cheese Cloth and drained the meat thru it. Worked like a charm. It was a little dry at trhe end so rather than add water I used a small can of tomato sauce. This one's a keeper!
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2006/09/18 13:38:28 (permalink)
For those who need to, even though it won't be the same, could you sub something for the lard? Olive oil, or???
Joe
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2006/09/18 14:22:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

For those who need to, even though it won't be the same, could you sub something for the lard? Olive oil, or???
Joe

You could use Crisco I guess but I doubt it would be the same. In my latest post, I forgot to mention that when I was done cooking it, I pushed the meat to one side of the pan, (I used a chicken cooker), and propped the pan up on its side to let the excess grease drain down and then sopped it up with a paper towel to remove the excess. If you put it in the fridge or freezer a while the lard should rise to the top and you could remove it then. Since this sauce is only used in small amounts on your hot dogs, I seriously doubt you will have any harmful effects. This stuff isn't to be eaten by the bowl full--That WOULD kill you! My theory is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! The flavor is unique
legend9nine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2006/09/20 22:21:33 (permalink)
Do not fear lard. I grew up on a farm where lard was the main cooking oil. My mother fried chicken, pork chops, and country fried steak in lard. She made pie crusts using it, and also used it for deep frying. What she used, however, was real lard from hogs we had processed at the local locker. Real lard has a very different taste from supermarket lard. On the subject of farm shortenings, she also made butter from fresh cream, but oddly enough we used bacon grease to dress popcorn.

For beef recipes like coney sauce, I would recommend rendered beef suet instead of lard. In any event, you really do need to cook it with lots of lard/suet for taste and moistness. Personally, I prefer to boil the sauce rather than browning the meat, then straining it through cheesecloth. Plenty of oil remains in the meat, but it's more attractive and easier to pile on top of the dog.

Here's how I build a chili dog:

Heat Nathan's Cheese dogs.

Place a bit of sauce on the bottom of the bottom of the bun.

Spread one side of the bun with mustard, and sprinkle in a little chopped onion.

Place the dog in the bun. Add more sauce on top, followed by more onions, and scatter the top with shredded sharp cheddar.

Place under a broiler until the cheese is meleted.

You'll probably need a knife and fork to eat this.

We are fortunate enough to live in the midwest, where Ray's Coney Hot Dog Sauce is available at local groceries.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2006/09/21 01:16:40 (permalink)
Real lard isn't hydrogenated like supermarket lard is. I believe hydrogenation renders (haha) lard harmful.
austindiva
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2007/04/01 21:41:37 (permalink)
Ok, I just made the very first recipe listed above for my hot dogs and it tasted AMAZING!!! It was exactly what I was looking for, an authentic restaurant style hot dog chili (like the kind you find at Pinks/Coney Island/Chicago). I did have to adjust the recipe to cater to a "NORMAL" family sized batch instead of a small army sized batch. Also, the chili did not thicken so I had to add some thickening agents and also added a couple more ingredients for a better taste. The recipe is NOW complete :)

Restaurant Style Hot Dog Chili

1 Cup of Lard (or shortening)
1 Lbs. Ground Chuck, needs to be ground twice or run through food processor (or hand chopped)
1/3 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
1/3 Cup Finely Chopped Green Bell Pepper
1 TSP. each Cinnamon, Curry, and Celery Seed
1/2 TSP. each Ground Cloves and Paprika
1 1/2 TSP. each Chili Powder, Salt, and Pepper
3 TBSP. Corn Starch
1 Quart Water

Brown Lard, Onions, Bell Pepper, and Chopped Meat. After five minutes add spices (except for corn starch) and water. Bring to boil and simmer over medium heat uncovered for an hour. Add corn starch and allow to thicken for another fifteen minutes. Serve over quality cooked hot dogs in the bun.

Tastes best with homemade French fries and fresh lemonade. Enjoy
SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2007/04/03 09:59:08 (permalink)
Austindiva - thanks so much for the recipe. I have been looking for a greate chili dog recipe and this sounds great. Thank you for taking the time to perfect it and downsize the amount it makes. I am definitely going to make it (probably this weekend as I have a long Easter weekend off).
Tlewis
Junior Burger
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2007/11/14 21:08:28 (permalink)
You know folks, this is about as much lard as they you in ten pounds of beans, for the refried beans in most mexican resturants. think about it, I don't like my hot dog sauce to that thin. but it all ways worth a spoon full and then change it what you want it to be (we all do that) good glups to all.
TL.
gfranzen
Junior Burger
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2010/10/11 18:26:57 (permalink)
The recipe at he start of this thread is horrible. We made it and discarded it. Not only is it a sea of grease, it is tasteless.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe 2010/10/11 18:33:56 (permalink)
gfranzen

The recipe at he start of this thread is horrible. We made it and discarded it. Not only is it a sea of grease, it is tasteless.

If you note the comments on here, most of us thought it called for WAY too much lard. The one posted above, #33 is darn good.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1