Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42
Craig328

• Total Posts: 89
Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 11:36 AM (permalink)

3 1/2 Lbs. of Lard
6 Lbs. Ground Chuck, needs to be ground twice or run through food processor.
2 Lbs. Finely Chopped Onion
2 TBLS. each Cinnamon, Curry, Whole Cloves and Salt.
2 TBLS. Celery Seed
3 TBLS. Chili Powder
1 TBLS. Paprika
6 Quarts Water

Brown Lard, Onions and Chopped Meat. After Twenty Minutes add spices and water. Bring to boil and allow to thicken, simmer for at least two hours.

Sundancer7

RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 11:44 AM (permalink)
    I do not understand browning lard?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

seafarer john

RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 12:34 PM (permalink)
      3-1/2 pounds of lard???????? How many pigs have to die to make that?

Craig328

RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 1:06 PM (permalink)
        Sorry that should have been brown onions! .. The recipe is the same used by many Coney Island Hot Dog Shops in central and southern NJ. For nearly twenty years my family operated a popular food joint on the NJ Shore. Regarding the lard you can substitute generic vegetable shortening but the flavor isn't the same. We would have to make a new batch of this up at least once a week to keep up with demand. BTW, this freezes really well for later use.

Sundancer7

RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 1:14 PM (permalink)
          Seems like a lot of lard to me

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Craig328

RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 1:22 PM (permalink)
            Agreed it does sound like a tremendous amount but in reality it isn't. My wife recently made a half-batch which we'll be serving later today at a family BBQ. Try the recipe and cut down on the lard and water if you wish. Guarantee it will become a favorite.

Michael Stern

RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 1:24 PM (permalink)
              Was it Diana Vreeland who said, "You can never be too rich or have too much lard?"

Sundancer7

RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 2:54 PM (permalink)
                I would suggest that you do a cholestrol test before doing a whole lot of your chili. It sounds pretty good but 3 1/2 pounds of lard will have you knocking on the pearly gates if your genes ain't good.

I will admit liking a certain amount of grease with my foods, but your recipe ought to get your on ESPN Extreme games.

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

Craig328

RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 3:21 PM (permalink)
                  I served hundreds of gallons of this chili throughout my tenure working at my families business and never suffered a single heart attack.

Sundancer7

RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 3:30 PM (permalink)
                    Craig, your recipe sounds excellent and I am sure your business did well. I was not downing your recipe, but I was amazed at the amount of lard used. I am from East Tennessee and my grandparents from upper East Tennessee lived off a far and the only oil they used was lard. My grandfather lived to be 91 and would have lived longer if he had not had a car wreck and suffered a stroke afterwards.

I did not inherit his genes and my cholestrol tends to be high. I take one of those little pills every day to contain it.

I had never heard of a recipe that used so much lard. Did you remove it once the chile had cooled?

Paul E. Smith
                    knoxville, TN

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                      RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/4/03 3:53 PM (permalink)
                      Sundancer & Seafarer,

I think you guys are missing the point here, This is not a chili you will eat by the bowl full. A ladlefull on top of a hot dog is it(well, maybe 2 if they are really good dogs)! The lard is going to give it the flavor you are looking for against the hotdog. Your not going to make a steady diet of this, you need to get your fill with ribs & BBQ & fried chicken

BR2

• Total Posts: 14
                        RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/11/03 1:08 PM (permalink)
                        3 1/2 lbs of lard??

I don't care how good it tastes, I gotta pass on that one. Just thinking about it makes my arteries wince.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                          RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/11/03 1:49 PM (permalink)
                          According to my calculations, this recipe would make enough to dress a minimum of 150 dogs, probably more like 200. That would make the amount of lard per serving in the range of 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 teaspoons. That's probably less than in one serving of good hand-cut french fries or in the hotdog itself.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                            RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/11/03 2:11 PM (permalink)
                            Thank you for sharing an authentic "roadfood" recipie with us, lard or no lard.

I might try to make a half recipie and freeze, we like to have "chili dogs" about once a month or so, and I'll bet your sauce is way better than anything "store-bought".

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3581
                              RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/11/03 2:29 PM (permalink)
                              Read the review of Pink's on the homepage today. When I go to Pink's it's cuz I want a side order of chili with my grease. Methinks they may even be using more lard than Craigs recipe! However------Pink's chili sure tastes good! And I bet Craig's is good too---I'm gonna try it.

Sundancer7

RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Fri, 07/11/03 5:55 PM (permalink)
                                I agree with BR2, I do not care if the taste is enough to get you through the pearly gates, enough is enough. I am a roadfooder, but I refuse to eat pure lard with a little of flavoring.

To advise anyone to eat that many fat grams is to wish an early death on them.

I do not miss the point!!! Even diluted with just a small amount, it makes McDonalds worst sandwich look like health food.

Paul E. Smith
                                Knoxville, TN

Stogie

• Total Posts: 128
                                  RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Sat, 07/12/03 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                  I have to throw my 2 cents in here......

If any of you have ever eaten a Greek style coney dog, you have ingested a huge amount of lard. Here is the most authentic coney dog recipe I have ever collected. It comes from a place in Detroit...sorry, but I am sworn to secrecy. The deceased owner claims any good Greek will load up his coney sauce with lard. This recipe calls for 1 cup of lard per pound of meat..that means 6 cups in Craig's recipe. So, if you have eaten a Greek coney dog in Detroit and loved it...chances are you have eaten something similar to Craig's recipe.

BTW...NOT taking sides!! Just passing on what many folks...including me...think is the best coney sauce on the planet.

Enjoy!!

Original Greek Coney Sauce

1 pound Ground beef
                                  1 cup lard
                                  1 medium Onion(s), diced
                                  1/3 cup Chili powder
                                  2 teaspoons Paprika
                                  1 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
                                  1 teaspoon Garlic powder
                                  1 teaspoon Cumin powder
                                  1 teaspoon Allspice
                                  1 teaspoon Basil, dried
                                  1 teaspoon Salt
                                  1/2 teaspoon Oregano, dried

PREPARATION:
                                  To get the right consistency, cover the meat with water and soak, in the fridge, for about 30 minutes. Then take a fork and break up any remaining chunks. Drain the water and go on to browning. You will have some water while browning but it will slowly steam off.
                                  Brown beef, onion and shortening.
                                  Add remaining ingredients.
                                  Simmer for 2 hours. You may have to add some water.
                                  This freezes well.

kelehr

• Total Posts: 17
                                    RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Sun, 07/17/05 3:18 AM (permalink)

Originally posted by Craig328

I served hundreds of gallons of this chili throughout my tenure working at my families business and never suffered a single heart attack.
                                    Clear........zzzzzzzzzaaaaapppppppppppppp.[|)]

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Sun, 07/17/05 3:56 AM (permalink)
                                      Alot of the commercial "Greek" style recipes I've obtained / studied - This recipe is on the norm... When I first read it I was looking for the Beef Hearts, but this one did not have it... bummer...
                                      Thanks Craig for sharing your recipe! I bet it sells well!! And welcome to the threads here.. Hope to hear some more of your input here...

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
                                        RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Sun, 07/17/05 10:23 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Stogie

I have to throw my 2 cents in here......

If any of you have ever eaten a Greek style coney dog, you have ingested a huge amount of lard. Here is the most authentic coney dog recipe I have ever collected. It comes from a place in Detroit...sorry, but I am sworn to secrecy. The deceased owner claims any good Greek will load up his coney sauce with lard. This recipe calls for 1 cup of lard per pound of meat..that means 6 cups in Craig's recipe. So, if you have eaten a Greek coney dog in Detroit and loved it...chances are you have eaten something similar to Craig's recipe.

BTW...NOT taking sides!! Just passing on what many folks...including me...think is the best coney sauce on the planet.

Enjoy!!

Original Greek Coney Sauce

1 pound Ground beef
                                        1 cup lard
                                        1 medium Onion(s), diced
                                        1/3 cup Chili powder
                                        2 teaspoons Paprika
                                        1 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
                                        1 teaspoon Garlic powder
                                        1 teaspoon Cumin powder
                                        1 teaspoon Allspice
                                        1 teaspoon Basil, dried
                                        1 teaspoon Salt
                                        1/2 teaspoon Oregano, dried

PREPARATION:
                                        To get the right consistency, cover the meat with water and soak, in the fridge, for about 30 minutes. Then take a fork and break up any remaining chunks. Drain the water and go on to browning. You will have some water while browning but it will slowly steam off.
                                        Brown beef, onion and shortening.
                                        Add remaining ingredients.
                                        Simmer for 2 hours. You may have to add some water.
                                        This freezes well.

Stogie, I've had similar recipe disclosed from a Detroit Coney in Oakland county, the one ingredient missing is the 2 cups of black coffee.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2935
                                          RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Sun, 07/17/05 10:24 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by UncleVic

Thanks Craig for sharing your recipe! I bet it sells well!! And welcome to the threads here.. Hope to hear some more of your input here...

Uh, this thread is 2 years old.... He bin and gone.

Tom

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                            RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Sun, 07/17/05 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Mosca

quote:
                                            Originally posted by UncleVic

Uh, this thread is 2 years old.... He bin and gone.

Tom

Ha. Was waiting for someone to notice that "fact".

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Sun, 07/17/05 2:20 PM (permalink)
                                              Oh well... Look at the content not the dates here... So it's a late welcome...

Bill B.

• Total Posts: 322
                                                RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Tue, 05/2/06 12:03 PM (permalink)
                                                I hear he had a heart attack.

Just call this thread "well aged."

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                                  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                  RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Tue, 05/2/06 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                                  A great thread never dies! I was gona say somethin in my post buy yall beat me to it. All the recipes sound great!

Don't get me wrong, when I have homemade chili I use that but, here is my "fast and easy" chili dog chili. A can of Wolf Brand Chili (Hormel will work) with Velveta cheese (to taste), nuk it, stir it, and spood it over a Shiner Bock boiled dog. Then top w/ what ever you like on your chili dog. I like onions and jalopenas. It usually ends up open faced, and I eat it w/ a fork, since I put way tooo much chili on it. MMMM.
                                                  Joe

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                                    RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Tue, 05/2/06 2:38 PM (permalink)
                                                    I can't believe this stuff adds only 3 T's of chili powder to 6# of ground meat and 6 qts of water and still has the nerve to call itself chili.

Mr Peabody

• Total Posts: 1
                                                      • Location: Sioux Falls, SD
                                                      RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Sun, 05/14/06 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                                      Greetings I too have made gallons of this stuff over the years, and yes the with lard, but we always called it hot dog or coney dog SAUCE!! That is what it is meant to be. A spoonable seasoned meat sauce that really leaves all the lard in the pan. You need that white, rendered lard to put flavor back into the really tasteless meat we have today.

It does not really become a chili sauce til you start adding tomatoes or a tomato sauce or paste. And just between what I do hope are friends here and me, don't knock it til you try it.

Mike

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
                                                        RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Sun, 05/14/06 11:33 PM (permalink)
                                                        People don't use lard in the home much anymore, but they'd be very surprised if they knew how much lard they eat on a daily basis unless they really really pay attention and consciously try and avoid it.
                                                        The chili recipe sounds really good. I've been looking for one and I'm gonna try it.

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
                                                          • Location: Chula Vista, CA
                                                          RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Mon, 05/15/06 1:04 AM (permalink)
                                                          Any clues on a copy of Kuhns chili.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                            • Location: columbus, oh
                                                            RE: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe Mon, 05/15/06 3:13 AM (permalink)
                                                            When I first saw Lard as the first ingredient, it made me kinda ill, but I guess its a personal taste.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com