King and Friedan and change.

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2006/02/08 02:59:55 (permalink)

King and Friedan and change.

The passing of Coretta Scott King and Bette Friedan was a marker for me. I thought a lot about change, how so much is different from when these women entered public life over half a century ago. In talking to my son, he still remains incredulous that there was ever a time when blacks and whites could not drink from the same water fountain or a time when women were considered less able and intelligent than men. These women were a great force for change in America and I thank them for the good things they helped accomplish.

10 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: King and Friedan and change. 2006/02/08 13:00:08 (permalink)
    I agree, thank you to two powerful, graceful and inspiring women and the many more that supported change.
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1563
    RE: King and Friedan and change. 2006/02/08 16:29:46 (permalink)
    It's too bad that Corretta Scott King's funeral was marred by political banter. Reminded me of Wellstone's funeral in Minnesota. There is a time and a place for everything.

Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: King and Friedan and change. 2006/02/09 14:45:32 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    When I think of Coretta Scott King, I think of a beautiful lady of grace and reserved strength. But, I must also say that there was
    a love there that she shared with her family and friends. She bore the burden of her husband's legacy beyond the call of duty.
    Bette Friedan was a lady I loved to watch and listen to. So good and human, and able to make an ignorant society see a wisdom that
    should have been clear. Her intelligence didn't belittle, but guided.
    Both ladies were of a mold that cared more for content than stardom.
    The messages, they gave or were caretakers for, have changed the world. I hope they will be more than a line in the history books that
    will be written in the future. But I doubt it.
    Take Care, and allow a moment of respect and dignity for these ladies,
    Fieldthistle
    saps
    RE: King and Friedan and change. 2006/02/09 16:57:10 (permalink)

This is less about the post and moreso about the fact that I posted it.

This has nothing to do with party affiliations. If it were reversed and it was a liberal who was getting slammed at a funeral, I'd have the same reaction. A funeral is a time to mourn and honor the dead, not to take potshots at others, especially those who are in attendance. There are plenty of other forums for that.

Moreover, you've got some goofy minister bringing up "weapons of mass destruction". That makes a lot of sense in that venue.

No, I didn't follow Coretta Scott King as much as you have, but that's not the point. Everyone attending is a guest, and they should be treated as such. You don't need individuals using it as a forum to disrespect others. I didn't follow King's career as closely as you did, but she didn't seem like that type of lady.

Any individual who sees that behavior as correct is seriously lacking in good judgment.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: King and Friedan and change. 2006/02/09 17:37:14 (permalink)
    Folks, these comments are not appropiate. I would appreciate it if you cool it. If you do not, I will kill the site.

I have numerous friends of color and Mrs. King death affected numerous of us that want racial harmonity.

I will watch this site and if it continues as it is going, I will delete it.

Your political thoughts are more appropiate at some other site. I will assure you that if some of you want to contuinue, we will revue your post and the thread will be locked or deleted.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: King and Friedan and change. 2006/02/09 18:38:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

This has nothing to do with party affiliations. If it were reversed and it was a liberal who was getting slammed at a funeral, I'd have the same reaction. A funeral is a time to mourn and honor the dead, not to take potshots at others, especially those who are in attendance. There are plenty of other forums for that.

Ditto.

And, don't tell anyone I said this, but I actually liked Bill Clinton's talk.

For most of the blowhards who spoke, it really wasn't about Coretta King, it was just another chance to get in front of a camera. Disgusting.

Not to detract from Coretta King, but let us not forget that it was actually her late husband, Martin Luther King, that was the positive force for change. Coretta chose to try to carry his legacy, but the original message got lost somewhere along the way. It was Dr. King's vision that we all someday be united.

He was a great man. Most of the speakers at her funeral aren't good enough to lick the shoes of a real man like Martin Luther King.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: King and Friedan and change. 2006/02/09 22:40:39 (permalink)
    Surprisingly enough, as a very strong liberal, I wonder how nice it is to attack someone at a funeral. Mr. Bush, the younger, was there in his symbolic role as national leader and should have been accorded respect in that role. I agree with most of Mr. Lowery's comments, I just would not have said them at that time or in that place. It would have been just as inappropriate to talk about some of the more lurid aspects of Dr. King's life and how they affected his widow. Funerals are a time to say goodbye and remember the departed
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: King and Friedan and change. 2006/02/10 03:53:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

Surprisingly enough, as a very strong liberal, I wonder how nice it is to attack someone at a funeral. Mr. Bush, the younger, was there in his symbolic role as national leader and should have been accorded respect in that role. I agree with most of Mr. Lowery's comments, I just would not have said them at that time or in that place. It would have been just as inappropriate to talk about some of the more lurid aspects of Dr. King's life and how they affected his widow. Funerals are a time to say goodbye and remember the departed

Amen! I'm no fan of the President but I thought it very bad taste for speakers, including former presidents, to use this occasion to jab at him and I cringed at the clips of the funeral I saw. Sadly, I don't think Dr. King's family have lived up to the standard he set (intrafamily squabbling etc) with the single exception of his wife who did, I think, do her best--and an impressive job at that--at carrying on his work.

As for Betty Friedan, I can't say I was all that familiar with a lot of her work or her thoughts. I do recall when I was in school the girls--interestingly, ONLY the girls--were asked to read her book The Feminine Mystique. But since her death I've learned quite a bit more about her and I've found out she was a much more impressive person than I ever realized.
    saps
    RE: King and Friedan and change. 2006/02/10 17:13:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Ditto.

And, don't tell anyone I said this, but I actually liked Bill Clinton's talk.

For most of the blowhards who spoke, it really wasn't about Coretta King, it was just another chance to get in front of a camera. Disgusting.

Not to detract from Coretta King, but let us not forget that it was actually her late husband, Martin Luther King, that was the positive force for change. Coretta chose to try to carry his legacy, but the original message got lost somewhere along the way. It was Dr. King's vision that we all someday be united.

He was a great man. Most of the speakers at her funeral aren't good enough to lick the shoes of a real man like Martin Luther King.

I'm no Clinton fan myself, but he is one of the best speakers this country has had, one of our most charismatic presidents, and he carried himself in a presidential manner. He was as smooth as they come. He could sell ice in the winter.

Bush Jr. doesn't really have any of these qualities, which, in these days, is pretty critical.

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: King and Friedan and change. 2006/02/10 18:11:00 (permalink)
    quote:

Bush Jr. doesn't really have any of these qualities, which, in these days, is pretty critical.

Yep. I'm told by people who've met him that he's charming as h*ll when he's speaking "off the cuff". However, when he is scripted, he comes off about as exciting as Algore.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1