Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza

Author
kh15
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/01/18 22:44:46 (permalink)

Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza

Hello, cool place. I really hope someone from Brooklyn, NY can help me. Try not to make this too long. 20 years ago I live in Brooklyn, NY but worked in Manhattan.
Hope I can remember all of this correctly. I remember that the last train I took was the D train from Manhattan to Brooklyn. I got off at the Kings Highway stop. When I would cross over the street after getting off the subway to catch a bus to go about another mile home, I would always grab a slice of pizza. This place was basically right there were I crossed the street. If I remember correctly, it was just on the other side of the road from the steps I came down from the subway.
If it helps, I also remember a Wendy's around there to , but this seems to come to mind as being like upstairs nearer to the subway train area?
Now, it may just be a young kid remembering the best slice of pizza ever because he was hungry, or just young..lol, but it was always great. I would just love to know the name of this place and if it is still there..?
Also, what part of Brooklyn is this area called or known as?
I lived off this pizza! Want to tell others about it if it's still there?
Drazy thing about this being such good pizza is that this area seemed to be a Jewish area? Or at least where I lived was?
Maybe it was further than I thought, as far as the bus ride home, once I got off the train, grabbed my pizza, then caught the bus.
At the corner where the bus left me off, down the road was where I lived. There was a grocery store on one corner and a Jewish House of worship on the other corner.
I would also love to remember the name of this road, and cannot.
I wish I could remember what direction I went on bus...
It was cool, I was young and rented a basement apartment for cheap in a cool brownstone from a Jewish family who sort of took me in..what times those were.
I must have gone either south or west on the highway on the bus.
Anyway, sorry this was so long and thanks for your time.
Great memories.

11 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/01/18 23:33:43 (permalink)
    Glad you wheren't looking for good pizza in GR! :)
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/01/19 01:17:00 (permalink)
    Hey, I grew up near that area. I went to High School at St. Brendan's (now defunct) and this was the subway stop. I don't especially remember the pizza place because it seems like in many parts of Brooklyn every corner had a "pizza parlor". I do remember Mortie's Luncheonette around the corner on W. 17th St where we used to hang out after school and "sneak" cigarettes.

I don't think there was really a name to the area; we just called it Kings Highway, although we meant Kings Highway between Ocean Ave & Coney Island Ave. Although it was a Jewish area, there were also a lot of Italians (Gravesend Neck Road, Ave. X, Sheepshead Bay)
    (I'll bet these names are Music to the Ears of some Roadfooders)
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/01/19 07:19:47 (permalink)
    Best pizza in that area IMHO is Totonno's. Can't remember the street but I can find it if I'm driving. They won the Best of NY several years running.
    kh15
    Junior Burger
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/01/19 10:02:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

Hey, I grew up near that area. I went to High School at St. Brendan's (now defunct) and this was the subway stop. I don't especially remember the pizza place because it seems like in many parts of Brooklyn every corner had a "pizza parlor". I do remember Mortie's Luncheonette around the corner on W. 17th St where we used to hang out after school and "sneak" cigarettes.

I don't think there was really a name to the area; we just called it Kings Highway, although we meant Kings Highway between Ocean Ave & Coney Island Ave. Although it was a Jewish area, there were also a lot of Italians (Gravesend Neck Road, Ave. X, Sheepshead Bay)
    (I'll bet these names are Music to the Ears of some Roadfooders)

Wow! Hi! can't believe I found someone so fast who was able to reply just from my brief memories from about twenty years ago. I just wish I could remember more as I really want to go back to this exact area, not just for the pizza. As go online and look at current subway routes, just to get an idea of stops as I am aware that train #'s and stops have changed. I knew I was being pretty fague, as yes, there was pizza everywhere.
    If I may ask, how long ago did you grow up around this area?If it helps, as I look on a current subway map for stops and see that three diff subways stop at three diff Kings Highway stops, I believe I was on that one that did the Parkside, Prospect, Church, Newkirk, Avenues H,J,M. I skipped a few, but you get the idea.
    What I meant when I was asking what area this is, is that people refer to areas in Brooklyn as Sheepshead Bay, Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, Midwood, etc..
    Maybe this area is like Midwood or Sheepshead Bay, or just known as Kings Highway.
    Anyway, very cool that someone had an idea what I was even trying to remember!
    Thanks!
    johns72604
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/01/19 10:43:14 (permalink)
    You may be referring to Di Fara Pizzeria, which is in Midwood and is some of the most unbelievable pizza I have ever had. It is a half block from being directly under the subway. The pizza is made by the same old man, Dominique DiMarco, that has been making it for over 40 years I believe. He may not have been that old 20 years ago, but he was also no spring chicken. They use 3 kinds of fresh grated and sliced cheese and it's unreal. I was there this past Saturday after reading a good bit about it. It is off the Q train at the Avenue J stop. It is not the same train or stop that you described, but it's in a very Jewish neighborhood. All of the stores were closed on Saturday for the Sabbath. It very well could be the same place.
    kh15
    Junior Burger
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/01/19 10:49:32 (permalink)
    Sounds very cool, but I know for sure that it was on my Kings Highway stop because I would always cross the street after coming down from the subway , walk up to the window and get a slice of pizza as I was waiting for my bus to take me further down Kings Highway home.
    I would for sure though try the spot you mentioned. I am more so just wanting/needing to really get back to that area and even the street I lived on. I wish I could remember more, but this is all very cool. What memories.
    I was only 18 years old. Hopped a bus to New York the day I graduated High school from Seattle.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/01/19 12:39:41 (permalink)

If I may ask, how long ago did you grow up around this area?If it helps, as I look on a current subway map for stops and see that three diff subways stop at three diff Kings Highway stops, I believe I was on that one that did the Parkside, Prospect, Church, Newkirk, Avenues H,J,M. I skipped a few, but you get the idea.
    What I meant when I was asking what area this is, is that people refer to areas in Brooklyn as Sheepshead Bay, Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, Midwood, etc..
    Maybe this area is like Midwood or Sheepshead Bay, or just known as Kings Highway.
    Anyway, very cool that someone had an idea what I was even trying to remember!
    Thanks!

Here http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf is the current MTA map. I don't see a Kings Highway stop on the D, although it surely stops around the area you're talking about. Now according to A9 (the Amazon.com mapping program, a free download and by far the best of the map programs) the area is called "Gravesend". Here: http://maps.a9.com/?ypLoc=Broadway%20and%2046th%2C%20New%20York%2C%20NY
    but it's probably just as easy to download the A9 yourself.

Personally, I'm Manhattan born-and-bred, so this is all the stuff of legend and B movies (e.g., "Warriors", "Murder, Inc", "Saturday Night Fever")to me.

Do you think I might have too much time on my hands this morning?

Hope this helps.
    kh15
    Junior Burger
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/01/19 15:58:56 (permalink)
    20 years ago. It was only for one year. I was just referring to that it used to be the D train for reference to someone who used to live there. Looking at a current online subway map, the B or Q appears now to be this line. The B line appears to be the express one.

Let's even go this route. Does anyone who lives in Brooklyn take the B or Q train home and get off at the Kings Highway stop? Is there a walk up pizza place if you cross the road? Is this area just considered the Kings Highway area, or is this area considered something like Midwood or Sheepshead Bay?

This is fun. Thanks for the time! Keep it coming! LOL!

Oh yeah, to any long time Brooklyn folks. Help me out here, so I feel lke I am not nuts. There used to be a D train that has a Kings Highway stop? Right? LOL!
    rocket88
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/02/01 00:25:08 (permalink)
    Yes, The D train did stop on Kings Highway between E 15 st & E 16 st.
    The pizza place under the station (BMT Line) was Armando's, or wait, was Armando's on E 18 street across from the Avalon Theater? And down the block you had Bella Donna Pizza (extra cheese) and Carvel on E 19th.
    Rainbow's is still there on E 16th, across from where Dubrow's used to be (another fine brooklyn restaurant).
    DanielC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/02/06 19:02:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kh15

Hello, cool place. I really hope someone from Brooklyn, NY can help me. Try not to make this too long. 20 years ago I live in Brooklyn, NY but worked in Manhattan.
    Hope I can remember all of this correctly. I remember that the last train I took was the D train from Manhattan to Brooklyn. I got off at the Kings Highway stop. When I would cross over the street after getting off the subway to catch a bus to go about another mile home, I would always grab a slice of pizza. This place was basically right there were I crossed the street. If I remember correctly, it was just on the other side of the road from the steps I came down from the subway.
    If it helps, I also remember a Wendy's around there to , but this seems to come to mind as being like upstairs nearer to the subway train area?
    Now, it may just be a young kid remembering the best slice of pizza ever because he was hungry, or just young..lol, but it was always great. I would just love to know the name of this place and if it is still there..?
    Drazy thing about this being such good pizza is that this area seemed to be a Jewish area? Or at least where I lived was?
    Maybe it was further than I thought, as far as the bus ride home, once I got off the train, grabbed my pizza, then caught the bus.
    At the corner where the bus left me off, down the road was where I lived. There was a grocery store on one corner and a Jewish House of worship on the other corner.
    It was cool, I was young and rented a basement apartment for cheap in a cool brownstone from a Jewish family who sort of took me in..what times those were.
    Great memories.
    DanielC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Kings Highway Brooklyn NY Pizza 2006/02/06 19:05:17 (permalink)
    The Place you are talking about was Armondos Pizzaria, The best Sicilian pizza in the area at that time.Hope this help
    quote:
    Originally posted by kh15

Great memories.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1