Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed

Author
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 286
2014/07/31 12:57:56 (permalink)

Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed

I found this at Goodwill and almost teared up:

This isn't just some old blender. This is the blender of my youth. We'd make simple shakes out of it with ice cream, milk, and canned or fresh fruit. I remember everything about it: the colors, the logos, the order of the speeds (I didn't know what "frappé" meant and always forgot to look it up), the sound of the motor.

The pitcher is glass and quite heavy, and holding it meant that I was being allowed to pour and would momentarily be consuming a delicious shake. All I have to do to travel through time is feel its heft. And independent of all this, the blender is a gorgeous appliance. Just look at it! I don't know how many shakes I'll make with it now, but I'm pretty sure I'd have bought it even if I didn't cook at all.

And today, this arrived in the mail:

We invariably made use of it on movie nights. My sister and I would just stand there, hypnotized, watching the popcorn come out. There's a plastic dish at the top for butter to be melted by the popper's heat. Like the blender, it's noisy and powerful. This particular model is so powerful, in fact, that it's sought after today as a coffee bean roaster; later models apparently reduced their wattage and overall service quality. I had no idea! Consequently, I had to pay a bit of a premium, even though I've no intention of using it for anything other than its original purpose.

post edited by Ketteract - 2014/07/31 13:04:24

9 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4122
    Re: Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed 2014/07/31 13:35:54 (permalink)
    Up until 10 years ago, I had (and used) my grandmother's pressure cooker. That was a real antique! 
    TooPhat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re: Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed 2014/07/31 16:04:15 (permalink)
    I had that very same blender when my kids were growing up! I loved it. 
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1037
    Re: Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed 2014/07/31 16:16:15 (permalink)
    I have the exact same popper, and almost the same blender.  I once had the same blender until I somehow (?) left a medal spoon in it while trying to make a frozen Margarita.
    badart
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed 2014/07/31 18:31:19 (permalink)
    Man that is too cool. We had one of those exact blenders as well while I was growing up! We always had a large Sunday meal around 1pm with my grandparents and all of us, then Sunday nights my dad would make milkshakes and pop popcorn (though not air popped) and we'd watch the Disney Sunday Night Movie. Thanks for the memories Ketteract!
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re: Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed 2014/07/31 19:40:27 (permalink)
    Ketteract - we have an old Waring blender probably from the late 40's, early 50's that no one in the family wants that I should send you - Every Sunday night we made milkshakes in it, and sandwiches from the leftover Sunday roast.  It would probably break the blades to chop ice. 

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re: Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed 2014/08/01 02:26:23 (permalink)
    I have my grandmothers rolling pin. Still use it.
    It's not a kitchen appliance but my bride has her grandmothers old wooden ironing board. It's over 100 years old and she still uses it every time she irons! Won't use one of those new-fangled ones. 
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed 2014/08/02 22:58:54 (permalink)
    Successful test run with my first homemade milkshake in maybe 20 years!

Crushed 4 ice cubes in the blender, then added a few spoonfuls of ice cream (the Sam's Choice was the only one in the entire freezer made from only milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla beans - you know, what used to be Breyers' selling point before Unilever bought and ruined them), a cup of milk, pineapple, a little extra sugar (since canned pineapple doesn't come in heavy syrup), and blended away.  Delightful, and the blender did its job perfectly.  I'm already making a mental list of all the different fruits I'm going to try with this.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8321
    Re: Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed 2014/08/02 23:01:02 (permalink)
    Ours was avocado.  We still have the glass container.
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Kitchen appliances of my childhood, reclaimed 2014/08/03 11:48:01 (permalink)
    I realized I didn't own an electric can opener, so I rectified that situation this morning.  There's no actual nostalgia associated with this one, but it's damn nice regardless:

This thing means business!  Apparently Oster used the "Imperial" name on some of its products from the '60s to the '70s.  I love it.  Looks like it should be on a car. I was going to describe how it works, then figured I'd let an old ad do it for me:

I used it on a can for lunch, and it is very nifty, even if it's not too space-efficient due to the knife-sharpener mechanism in the back (which I can't imagine I'll ever use).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1