Hot!Kitchen gadgets

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2087
Re:Kitchen gadgets 2014/05/20 21:26:40 (permalink)
I didn't know waht 'Pommes Darphin' were, so I looked up the recipe.   .... Instead of the small 'matchstick' style, I use a small grader.   Then squeeze the excess 'milky' water out and cook to a rectangular shape (abt 3/8" thick) with salt, pepper & butter (may be a little bacon fat).    I can't get the cake to hold together without squeezing out the water.
Is this still a 'Pommes Darphin' or just a Waffle House style hash browns?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18387
Re:Kitchen gadgets 2014/05/20 21:34:45 (permalink)
Hash house hash browns. Pommes Darphin are done with duck fat, are circular not square, and are done on the stovetop and then the oven.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3967
Re:Kitchen gadgets 2014/05/20 23:53:13 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

We're having duck and pommes darphin? Oh Happy Day!

Kewl....I'll bring the Moet Chandon!
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 724
Re:Kitchen gadgets 2014/05/21 01:34:46 (permalink)
Lawdy...I used to work for them (Moet Chandon) at the Domaine Chandon cellars in Yountville, CA)

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 724
Re:Kitchen gadgets 2014/05/21 01:51:39 (permalink)
mar52
Back Rhodes, I understand!
I gave away a home version of a commercial crepe maker due to breaker tripping.  Maddening!

Seems that my upstairs computer room is on the same breaker as the kitchen.  Can you imagine the screams I heard when the computer went off?  Also happened every time the refrigerator cycled when I was using the microwave.  (A new refrigerator solved that one)

Some day I'll add a new breaker for the computer room.  When they built these places they had no idea we'd be using all of these electric devices....at the same time or at all.

Newer construction, at times isn't any better...I remember doing electrician work, and getting calls of dead circuits...one place had all the bathroom (3 of them) on ONE GFI, located in the garage, and they were all using hair dryers at he same time, which popped the GFI breaker, it was a really bad design, but how many homeowners really know the power circuits in their house..? Marginal engineering in a tract house that was barely legal enough to pass inspection but in practical terms problemati=c, and so were the other 249 homes in that subdivision.

Older, (and I mean REAL old) buildings of the 1920's through the 1940's are even more problematic, due to old "knob & tube wiring'...they didn't have Romex in those days...the copper conductors were insulated with tar & woven cloth, and ceramic stand-off were used for routing, Junctions were sometimes soldered and black friction tape was the insulator. These old circuits also usually had the fuse on the "neutral wire", not the "hot wire", making them still live even if a fuse blew. The insulation of this type of old wiring will sometimes get brittle and start to disintegrate..!  Also older wiring did not have (taste) bitter agents to discourage rodents from chewing, whereas modern Romex has a bittering agent added to the plastic sheath formula. This old type wiring might have either cartridge or screw in type fuses.

We're also using more appliances at the same time than what was used when these buildings were constructed. 

I hope your wiring, and main panel in your building can take the addition of another circuit for your computer. It's best to add a new run of romex straight from your (breaker or fuse) panel directly to your computer with e new, dedicated outlet
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2087
Re:Kitchen gadgets 2014/05/21 03:20:57 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Hash house hash browns. Pommes Darphin are done with duck fat, are circular not square, and are done on the stovetop and then the oven.

Thanks for the clarification.  The 2 recipes that I read didn't indicate the requirement for 'duck fat' or the oven step.     ... Matter of fact, one recipe stated 'a flavorless oil (like vegetable oil)'.   Goes to show one can't trust these online recipes.

The only reason I do these as rectangle is because I don't have a ring for use on my 2 burner flat top.   i seem to breakup the cake when turning if I use a pan (no room to get the spatula under the cake).

I have 2 ducks now, so maybe in 6 months or so I will have 'duck fat' or just 'fat' ducks. 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1