Knee Surgery

Author
Hot Dog Empire
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
2011/04/19 17:55:08 (permalink)

Knee Surgery

Anyone ever have Knee Surgery? I put it off for several years and today was the day. My dr said that if I waited much longer, it would have to be a replacement - not a tune up.

I got there at 9:30 this morning but didnt get wheeled into the OR until 12:30! All that time sitting there with the IV, stewing about the process. Once in there, they knocked me out and I woke up almost 3 hours later. They ended up doing more than planned, because I waited so long.

So now, I get to spend the next few days on Percaset, reviewing my business plan & menu while searching for info on this forum!

11 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3449
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/19 18:38:02 (permalink)
    Yup, had mine last summer. I was back in the car heading home less than four hours after I got to the hospital. I have no idea what drugs they gave me, but I remember thinking it was a good thing I couldn't walk anyway.

Hope your recovery goes swimmingly!
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/19 19:12:54 (permalink)
    Thanks, I am hoping to be back up and walking around in a few days. They said I should be able to walk unassisted in about 5-7 days and about 80% recovery in 30 days.  I'm capitalizing on the "down time" to finish up my plans for everything. The wife took a week off from work so she can take care of me. She likes to spoil me and I like to let her!

Ive researched this venture to death.....now its time to put it into action!! I cant wait to get out there and slowly build up a business!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/19 20:11:34 (permalink)
    I put the crutches down for good about five days after surgery, but I'd have to say it was a good four months before I was anything approaching 80%. It was about six months later that I was pretty close to 100%. Good luck!
    jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/20 07:09:51 (permalink)
    I've had surgery on both knees.

In 1991, my left knee was scoped and basically what the Dr. did was take the ol roto-rooter type tool and clean the knee out.  I was back at work the next day, with crutches, but I used them sparingly.  Within a week, I was like new.

In 2001, I had a bad fall, resulting in damage to my ACL, MCL, LCL, and PCL in my right knee.  My lower leg was just a big floppy mess.  The surgery consisted of repairing each and actually re-attaching the ACL and PCL with plastic screws.  I went through three-times-weekly physical therapy for a year.

I've got about a five-inch scar that isn't too noticeable if you didn't know I had the surgery.  For two months after the surgery, my wife applied vitamin E oil to the incision twice daily.

Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/20 08:14:26 (permalink)
    Jman, your right knee procedure sounds more painful and reconstructive than mine! Owww....  they removed a lot of junk from mine and filed down some bone growth that was restricting proper movement of the kneecap.

They told me I have degenerative arthritis and I need to find a "desk job" somewhere, as time goes on its going to get worse and probably spread to my other major joints as well. Ive been in construction all my life. From small garages to managing a 32m commercial greenhouse construction project in Maine. Sitting behind a desk is not in my makeup. (im 44) So, I am hoping to reinvent myself with a lunch truck to change the demands on my body as well as make a leap out of construction

I will try the Vitamin E oil thing thing!

BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/20 08:49:57 (permalink)
    i couldnt agree more on the vitamin E oil...... great stuff
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/20 10:58:38 (permalink)
    BackAlleyBurger

i couldnt agree more on the vitamin E oil...... great stuff

I learned about the Vitamin E oil back in the early '80's when I was a supervisor at a plant that made steam irons.  The ladies who worked the test stand were always burning their arms and the vitamin E oil worked great for healing with no scars.

The plant was in eastern Kentucky and the reason the women knew about the vitamin E oil is that some of their husbands used it to promote healing of the combs of their fighting roosters.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/20 16:58:49 (permalink)
    Just be careful if you've got allergies! My mom was using Vitamin E oil for her knee surgery scar, but whatever plant the oil was extracted from made her break out in a horrific rash. She decided it was better to just have a worse scar.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10110
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/21 04:22:04 (permalink)
    Had 2 total knee replacements last year - 6 months apart. Best move I've ever made.
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/21 08:33:19 (permalink)
    felix4067
    She decided it was better to just have a worse scar.

Im not so worried about the scars, as I am helping to promote early healing. Besides, chicks love scars right?!!    I just wish I had a really cool story to go with it on how it happened!!

Ill tell you what though, im not really one to take painkillers but, this thing has me on them steady! They scraped, removed, and ground down stuff.......I waited too long to get it done. (re-injured  an old injury that I had learned to live with) Now they've changed their 80% recovery from 3-4 weeks, to 3-5 months!! UUgghh...im really not one for sitting still either.  Im normally either up and doing something productive, or im sleeping. This sitting around thing is really hard to get used to. Especially with a full leg brace that goes from just below my hip, to my ankle.

Hopefully I can get this food truck thing going soon and start on another career thats easier on my body. I appreciate everyone's patience with my questions. (like with the "which chili?") 

I am starting to think that I am"over thinking" this whole adventure and I just need to move forward with what I have and work out the kinks as they come up. I am really anxious to start as, I do not know of ANYONE within a 15 mile radius of me with a trailer/cart!!

post edited by Hot Dog Empire - 2011/04/21 17:03:45
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Knee Surgery 2011/04/21 16:31:08 (permalink)
    Well, obviously your doctor knows more about your particular case than I do, but just sitting around isn't going to help get you back on your feet. I assume they've got you doing physical therapy? I mean, yeah, if it hurts a lot you won't be able to do as much, but if you don't use it it'll take longer to get back to normal. But don't go by my word...I'm not a doctor, and I make a very impatient patient.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1