Knife Storage/Roll Ups

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2013/05/06 11:55:49 (permalink)

Knife Storage/Roll Ups

I've accumulated a lot of larger knives for specialty situations and butchering that don't see much use. I hate having them loose in a drawer and ridiculous to clutter up another pair of magnetic strips. Most are larger 10"-12" such as cimiters,breaking, slicers, cleavers, etc. I only need to keep a 10" Chef's, Steel, 8" bread, Nakiri, few pettys and paring knives out for daily use. The rest needs somewhere safe outside of cluttering up a drawer.

There's a lot of aftermarket companies that are selling knife rolls at reasonable prices I see on the net over brand name accessory rolls. I don't need a sling or intend to use it for transport, anything screaming professional chef, just to keep stuff together safely. Only requirement is at least 12 gussets and max length of a 12" blade.  I see that there are polyester reinforced with cloth as well as the old standby of canvas. I don't own anything fancy or forged, just an eclectic combination of stamped F.Dick and Forschner and a few Asian pieces. If anyone knows of a specialized roll or storage solution for cleavers, I could one for no more then 4.

It's hard to make a decision on something sight unseen and there isn't much in the way of reviews on generic, non-brandware. Any suggestions on something decent? 

10 Replies Related Threads

fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 242
    Re:Knife Storage/Roll Ups 2013/05/06 18:00:30 (permalink)
    Check out Koobi Kit or the Ultimate Edge knife bag. I believe they're just log enough to handle your knives and have plenty of safe, separate spaces for a variety of tools. Might be just what you're looking for or you could always go with a toolbox. Cheers!
    DawnT
    Re:Knife Storage/Roll Ups 2013/05/06 19:57:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for the post. The Ultimate Edge bags look great and between the two seems to get the lions share of the recommendations. Pricy though, but probably worth it for the build quality.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1989
    Re:Knife Storage/Roll Ups 2013/05/07 00:22:29 (permalink)
    A $20 plastic Stanley tool box from the big box store.
    DawnT
    Re:Knife Storage/Roll Ups 2013/05/07 17:58:16 (permalink)
    That might be a great solution in a professional working enviornment where you're trying to make sure your cutlery doesn't walk off and probably better and safer transportation then a roll up. In my situation, it's no different then cluttering up a drawer with unused knives and then I have to find somewhere to put the toolbox.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re:Knife Storage/Roll Ups 2013/05/07 19:02:55 (permalink)
    Google 

Canvas Wrench roll or just wrench roll

I've used those for years to organize kitchen stuff for catering and mobile use.  Keeps whisks from getting tangled with other things.  Easy to find things when your on site, and also more important easy to scan when your packing up for any open slots, says your missing something real quick. 
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 242
    Re:Knife Storage/Roll Ups 2013/05/07 21:45:51 (permalink)
    Messermeister (and a variety of different but comparable manufactures) makes a few knife rolls that are very similar to the wrench roll in design...same concepts and a great way to keep things individually organized. 

I've had several Koobi kits and they were great.  Perfect organization, fit the long knives and was easy to carry and store.  If I did it again though I would go with the Ultimate Edge-same idea and concept but a bit cheaper.  Hope that helps!!

DawnT
    Re:Knife Storage/Roll Ups 2013/05/07 22:44:09 (permalink)
    Rod, that's where I got the idea one day. I emptied out a wrench set I have. Good proof in concept, unfortunately the graduation of the gussets on mine only allowed for about 4 knives until it became too narrow and the length would be a problem for blades larger then 10".  Most aftermarket wrench and tool rolls are rather limited in length. There are some that appear to have the same size gussets as generic tool rolls, but sight unseen, it would be a gamble and of course length too. In addition, for them to be practical, you'd need edge guards or scabbards. Looking at some of the reviews, the Koobi Kits seem to have issues with the zippers and overall quality where the Ultimate Edge owners seem to be very happy with the quality. I need to take a day and pull everything out and see what I need.

daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:Knife Storage/Roll Ups 2013/05/08 00:56:34 (permalink)
    Know anyone that can sew?buy some canvas layout your placement and have someone sew it up for you.shouldn't cost much is made for what YOU have.
    evanjohnson
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:Knife Storage/Roll Ups 2013/05/13 14:44:26 (permalink)
    Had 2 Koobi kits both blow out at the zippers after about 6 months of daily carry- (but I did carry a fairly heavy kit.) 

Now I've cut back on what I carry and use a Wustof knife roll- very sturdy.
    DawnT
    Re:Knife Storage/Roll Ups 2013/05/13 22:09:56 (permalink)
    @dwd, you would be surprised what it would cost to have something fabricated from canvas. Something as simple as having 8 gussets sewn into the front and back of a Domke camera bag would have cost more then the bag which was over $80 at the time about 10 years ago. Something custom made from leather and or canvas would be far more expensive then buying something made.

That said, I've found several sources for canvas/leather rolls on-line. I haven't made a decision, but a quality 12 knife roll would run about the same or a bit less then the Ultimate Edge bags. The more I search, the lower on the quality scale I find rumblings about the Koobi Kits. For non-carry safe storage, the rolls seem the best solution.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1