The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Knishes

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 51 of 51
Author Message
wanderingjew

  • Total Posts: 7386
  • Joined: 1/18/2001
  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: Knishes Fri, 08/8/08 1:34 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

I think the first knish I had as a kid was ages ago at Yankee Stadium..not typical ballpark food!!!


Growing up on Long Island, I not only thought of Knishes as typical ballpark food, I thought of it as typical food- i thought evereyone ate it everywhere and was shocked to find it it wasn't when I grew older (similar to those who throught breaded pork tenderloins were everywhere as opposed to being basically confined to 3 states)
 
#31
    Twinwillow

    • Total Posts: 4898
    • Joined: 4/15/2006
    • Location: "Big D"
    RE: Knishes Fri, 08/8/08 1:49 PM (permalink)
    Home made, (round, baked style) filled with with mashed potato, chicken fat and onions. Now, that's Jewish comfort food! As far as I know, Yonah Shimmel may be the last place on earth to get them.
     
    #32
      leethebard

      • Total Posts: 6081
      • Joined: 8/16/2007
      • Location: brick, NJ
      RE: Knishes Fri, 08/8/08 3:42 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by wanderingjew

      quote:
      Originally posted by leethebard

      I think the first knish I had as a kid was ages ago at Yankee Stadium..not typical ballpark food!!!


      Growing up on Long Island, I not only thought of Knishes as typical ballpark food, I thought of it as typical food- i thought evereyone ate it everywhere and was shocked to find it it wasn't when I grew older (similar to those who throught breaded pork tenderloins were everywhere as opposed to being basically confined to 3 states)



      Yes,I think Yankee stadium served the round Cohen's...delicious!!!
       
      #33
        stricken_detective

        • Total Posts: 2330
        • Joined: 3/10/2004
        • Location: the 262
        RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 1:32 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by leethebard

        Living here in the New York/New Jersey corridor, we get so much great food of the world!
        A favorite of this Italian is the not-so-Italian Knish--that Jewish Potato delight...sold evrywhere, even at Yankee Stadium.
        My question: On the roadways of America,how often do you come in cntact with this great treat? How many of you have NEVER had one. Just curious.


        I read the whole thread, what is the difference btw this & a pierogie? I know Pierogi are either pan fried or boiled? And the dough, to me, is similar to ravioli dough?

        Is a knish more like a calzone? Baked, not boiled?

        I've never had one, as you can tell.
         
        #34
          leethebard

          • Total Posts: 6081
          • Joined: 8/16/2007
          • Location: brick, NJ
          RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 9:03 AM (permalink)
          here is a link ...at least about Square knishes...no, nothing like a pierogi or ravioli,at all.
          http://www.gabilas.com/
          http://video.about.com/kosherfood/Potato-Knish-Recipe.htm
          There more like a crispy potato and onion pie...Here is a video showing how to make one...they're not exactly like a cohen;s knish...but they are true knishes..take a look.

           
          #35
            stricken_detective

            • Total Posts: 2330
            • Joined: 3/10/2004
            • Location: the 262
            RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 11:43 AM (permalink)
            ^^So kind of like a pasty? Pie crust with meat & potato & onion inside?

            ETA ok the video made perfect sense, thank you for that. They look good, but I've never seen them around here.
             
            #36
              Twinwillow

              • Total Posts: 4898
              • Joined: 4/15/2006
              • Location: "Big D"
              RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 12:12 PM (permalink)
              Kinda like an, egg washed pastry pie crust with various fillings such as, potato with onions, kasha, (buckwheat groats) or, chopped liver. usually about the size of a "fist". Always, baked. Not fried.
               
              #37
                Lexi

                • Total Posts: 248
                • Joined: 5/26/2004
                • Location: Chappaqua, NY
                RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 12:23 PM (permalink)
                I am enjoying a kasha knish right now...for breakfast!
                 
                #38
                  Twinwillow

                  • Total Posts: 4898
                  • Joined: 4/15/2006
                  • Location: "Big D"
                  RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 12:30 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Lexi

                  I am enjoying a kasha knish right now...for breakfast!


                  Way to go............
                   
                  #39
                    ann peeples

                    • Total Posts: 8317
                    • Joined: 5/21/2006
                    • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                    RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 12:30 PM (permalink)
                    Hi, stricken-have had them in many Jewish homes over the years,but have not seen them commercially sold in and around the Milwaukee area.Hope I am wrong and someone will steer me to a place, but havent seen them, either.Milw.foodlover????????Pipe in here...
                     
                    #40
                      Twinwillow

                      • Total Posts: 4898
                      • Joined: 4/15/2006
                      • Location: "Big D"
                      RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 12:45 PM (permalink)
                      Good site for the, "knish curious"

                      http://www.jewishrecipes.org/recipes/knish/index.html
                       
                      #41
                        sizz

                        • Total Posts: 1682
                        • Joined: 2/12/2004
                        • Location: San Jose, CA
                        RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 1:43 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Twinwillow

                        Kinda like an, egg washed pastry pie crust with various fillings such as, potato with onions, kasha, (buckwheat groats) or, chopped liver. usually about the size of a "fist". Always, baked. Not fried.


                        My knish ......is always fried never baked, always square never round, always potato/onion, and nutten else......... and they look like this
                         
                        #42
                          leethebard

                          • Total Posts: 6081
                          • Joined: 8/16/2007
                          • Location: brick, NJ
                          RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 1:49 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by sizz

                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Twinwillow

                          Kinda like an, egg washed pastry pie crust with various fillings such as, potato with onions, kasha, (buckwheat groats) or, chopped liver. usually about the size of a "fist". Always, baked. Not fried.


                          My knish ......is always fried never baked, always square never round, always potato/onion, and nutten else......... and they look like this




                          That looks like a classic!!! Beautiful...nice job...I'm one Italian that loves a knish!!!
                           
                          #43
                            Twinwillow

                            • Total Posts: 4898
                            • Joined: 4/15/2006
                            • Location: "Big D"
                            RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 1:52 PM (permalink)
                            Sorry, sizz. but, with all due respect, that (fast food) knish is a modern adaptation of the original style knish (from the old country) that I described above and were made by my late, Russian-Jewish born grandmother.
                            There is no comparison in taste and texture. But, your right about, potato. They were my favorite too!
                             
                            #44
                              sizz

                              • Total Posts: 1682
                              • Joined: 2/12/2004
                              • Location: San Jose, CA
                              RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 2:07 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Twinwillow

                              Sorry, sizz. but, with all due respect, that (fast food) knish is a modern adaptation of the original style knish (from the old country) that I described above and were made by my late, Russian-Jewish born grandmother.
                              There is no comparison in taste and texture. But, your right about, potato. They were my favorite too!
                              sorry Twinwillow............ with all due respect, what you described above and your Babushka would confirmed is a Russian "piroshki"
                               
                              #45
                                ann peeples

                                • Total Posts: 8317
                                • Joined: 5/21/2006
                                • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                Well, twinwillow, I for one, will try the recipe site you provided.The liver knish recipe looks fantastic.I know where to get good chopped liver.,..Thanks!!!
                                 
                                #46
                                  Twinwillow

                                  • Total Posts: 4898
                                  • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                  • Location: "Big D"
                                  RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                  These are the kind of knishes I'm talking about
                                  http://roadfood.com/Insider/photos/5864.jpg
                                   
                                  #47
                                    Twinwillow

                                    • Total Posts: 4898
                                    • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                    • Location: "Big D"
                                    RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by sizz

                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Twinwillow

                                    Sorry, sizz. but, with all due respect, that (fast food) knish is a modern adaptation of the original style knish (from the old country) that I described above and were made by my late, Russian-Jewish born grandmother.
                                    There is no comparison in taste and texture. But, your right about, potato. They were my favorite too!
                                    sorry Twinwillow............ with all due respect, what you described above and your Babushka would confirmed is a Russian "piroshki"


                                    Yes, in Russian, a "piroshki". In Jewish, a "knish".
                                     
                                    #48
                                      Twinwillow

                                      • Total Posts: 4898
                                      • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                      • Location: "Big D"
                                      RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                      More "knish culture"............

                                      http://www.jewishrecipes.org/jewish-foods/knish.html
                                       
                                      #49
                                        ann peeples

                                        • Total Posts: 8317
                                        • Joined: 5/21/2006
                                        • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                        RE: Knishes Sat, 08/9/08 2:39 PM (permalink)
                                        Twinwillow-same site, but great recipes!!!!
                                         
                                        #50
                                          stricken_detective

                                          • Total Posts: 2330
                                          • Joined: 3/10/2004
                                          • Location: the 262
                                          RE: Knishes Wed, 08/13/08 2:05 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by annpeeples

                                          Hi, stricken-have had them in many Jewish homes over the years,but have not seen them commercially sold in and around the Milwaukee area.Hope I am wrong and someone will steer me to a place, but havent seen them, either.Milw.foodlover????????Pipe in here...
                                          We have a temple out here in Waukesha & the grocery store across the street from them used to have a little section of foods that were pareve, but they have since closed.

                                          Maybe the northside? Mequon? Benji's doesn't have them?
                                           
                                          #51
                                            Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 51 of 51

                                            Jump to:

                                            Current active users

                                            There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                            Icon Legend and Permission

                                            • New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

                                            2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com