Knoephla soup

Author
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1852
2008/07/09 11:52:02 (permalink)

Knoephla soup

Recently having moved to ND I continually hear locals raving about this soup. Had it for the first time at a local diner and have to admit, excellent flavor and see it as a good winter warmer. Seems to be a ND, SD, MN thing.

I'm guessing it's basically a chicken stock with a fair amount of cream, potato, egg dumpling, bit of bacon. Googling for recipe's gives a pretty broad range of variations.

Anyone have a family favorite of this regional soup? The dumplings seemed to be just a basic egg noodle rolled think and cut into thumbnail sized squares. Dense, chewy, awesome. Yes?

14 Replies Related Threads

fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/07/09 14:00:50 (permalink)
    This is a very hearty soup. When I make a dumpling soup, I never put in cream or potatoes while most variations of this soup always include this. Cutting the dumplings into diamonds or squares vs. drop dumplings seems to be another characteristic. I must try.
    MTFoodie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/09/10 22:37:19 (permalink)
    I love this soup! I've always wanted to find a recipe for it. When ever I visit my grandparents in ND and we eat at the local diner I have to have this soup. I've had it with bits of chicken in it too. But mostly the potatoes, and knoephlas. When I describe it to people I tell them to think of a creamy chicken noodle soup.
    MTFoodie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/09/10 22:57:40 (permalink)
    Me again I've been doing my own googling and this site is the most promising for the kind of Knoephla soup I've had. http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/foods/recipe/index.html
    It also has a LOTS of other yummy German Russian dishes. It has Kuchen which is also very good. As well as Runzas. *L* A trip to Nebraska isn't complete until you've stopped a Runza Resturant. Making your own is the best but, these will do in a pinch.
    westley
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/09/21 00:15:12 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great soup, with simple ingredients. I googled it and found a recipe from Taste of Home magazine, which is usually pretty reliable. I'll have to try it sometime!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Knoephla-Soup
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18700
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/09/21 10:50:50 (permalink)
    http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/articles/newspapers/news/old_news/gilmour.html
    MTFoodie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/10/11 17:05:43 (permalink)
    Hi everybody it was nasty here in MT this weekend so hearing the weather reports I stocked up on the supplies to try my hand at making Knoephla soup. I kind of used a combination of two of the recipes found on the German Russian Heritage page I posted earlier. Here is picture of the final product of my version of Knoephla soup.

Any feedback is great and if people think it looks good I'll post how I made my version of this recipe.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1852
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/10/12 08:43:48 (permalink)
    Looks great, and looks like what the local Diners serve up.
    Grillmeister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/10/12 10:16:24 (permalink)

I'm really amazed that I've never heard of this since there's a distinct German culture in my home state of Texas. It looks great! I would guess that the southern staple of chicken and dumplings took over the role of knoephla soup when those first "blue northers" would blow in.

The middle to upper plains states need more press since some interesting dishes come from that region. The notorious fried pork sandwich thread was an eye opener for me. It just goes to show that Roadfood is fun AND educational!

flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/10/12 19:33:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WarToad

Recently having moved to ND I continually hear locals raving about this soup. Had it for the first time at a local diner and have to admit, excellent flavor and see it as a good winter warmer. Seems to be a ND, SD, MN thing.

I'm guessing it's basically a chicken stock with a fair amount of cream, potato, egg dumpling, bit of bacon. Googling for recipe's gives a pretty broad range of variations.

Anyone have a family favorite of this regional soup? The dumplings seemed to be just a basic egg noodle rolled think and cut into thumbnail sized squares. Dense, chewy, awesome. Yes?

Wartoad, I am assuming you did not eat your Knoephla soup at Krolls Diner in Minot.We ordered it there, and were served a few dumplings floating in what tasted like canned chicken broth. Krolls Diner is probably one of the worst places I have ever eaten. U.S. 2 trip report Everett WA to Superior WI with full details to follow in a few days.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/10/12 20:27:25 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    I don't Knowphla from nothin'. Where do ya find Knoephlas, anyhow? Why do sunflowers always face east?? Why does lutefish go so well with lefse??? -- I simply liverMUSHT know!
    Semi-Stoupiferously, Ort. Carlton in Hearty Athens, Georgia.
    MTFoodie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/10/12 21:40:05 (permalink)
    Grillmeister~ It would depend on the German culture in Texas. Some of North Dakota has what’s called a German Russian heritage. Where Germans who moved to Russia then moved to the Dakotas brought a mixture of their German Heritage along with their adopted Russian Heritage. This explains the blending found in some dishes found in the Dakota Plains and MN regions.

Ort. Carlton Knoephlas are a simple dough noodle used in German cooking some use egg, flour and other ingredients. Others like the one I made for my soup were just flour, baking powder and water. Though I have to say this, one recipe I looked at in my quest for the soup said they used spatzel dough found in their grocer’s case to make the knoephla noodles. And the farm girl in me wants to argue that sunflowers follow the sun. As for lutefisk and lesfe going together I'll ask some Norwegian friends. Personally I can’t stand lutefisk and I have tried to eat the darn cod dipped in lye. I'll eat lesfe though with butter and cinnamon sugar
    Mikayla
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/12/04 14:13:45 (permalink)
    Hi all! Being born and raised in North Dakota, I have grown up on knoephla soup and I love it. I am currently trying to find a good recipe to make it on my own, as my grandmother's just seems too difficult.

But, I noticed someone commented on Kroll's diner and I would agree that that is not the place to try this soup. However, if you ever get to Bismarck/Mandan area, try Rock'n 50s (in Gateway Mall) because that is my favorite. Also, Fried's in Mandan has a different twist on it and is also pretty good. I recently moved to Grand Forks and cannot find a place in town that serves it, so I usually get a pint or two to bring home with me when I visit Bismarck.

Enjoy!
    OpnMinded
    Junior Burger
    RE: Knoephla soup 2008/12/04 16:05:14 (permalink)
    Hi Everyone,

I was born and raised in ND and am mostly German, but never heard of this soup until I married my VERY German husband and found out it is his favorite soup. I got the recipe from his mom who cooked German foods all her life (learned it from her mother). I, too, thought her version of the recipe was too difficult, so I made up my own version and it turned out even better. (We don't tell her that.) Note that this version doesn't include chicken. I'm not sure why - maybe his mom just forgot to write it down? ha ha I'm sure you can add it if you'd like. Another hint, I always make the dumplings, potatoes, and onion in separate pans and at the same time, so it gets done faster. :-)

Knoephla soup
    Ingredients:
    1/4 cup milk
    2 cups flour
    3 eggs
    1/4 cup oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 medium or large onion (depends on how much you like onions)
    4-5 medium to large potatoes (I recommend red ones)
    1 pint of heavy whipping cream or Half and Half (optional - I don't use either)
    Milk - Put in as much milk as it takes to get the quantity of soup you need. (I only use milk not the creams - sometimes I add a little water, but be careful not to add to much, you'll dilute the flavor.)

Dough:
    1/4 cup milk
    2 cups flour
    3 eggs
    1/4 cup oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    Stir ingredients together just to form a soft dough (add milk if needed). Cut off small pieces and drop into a pan of boiling water. Cook until soft.

Potatoes:
    Peel and cut into small pieces, as many potatoes as you would like in your soup. (Recommend: 4-5 medium to large for a hearty soup)

Onion:
    1 onion (boil in small fry pan with a little water for a more healthy version OR with a little butter or oil)

Soup:
    1) When dumplings (knoephla), potatoes and onion are ready, drain each and combine into one large kettle.
    2) Add cream/half and half (optional).
    3) Add enough milk to make as much soup as needed.
    4) Heat and serve.*

*Add 1/2 tsp margarine or butter and salt and pepper to each serving, if desired.

Enjoy!
    MTinSoCal
    Junior Burger
    RE: Knoephla soup 2009/09/29 02:02:02 (permalink)
    Has anyone heard of a knoephla dish with Polish sausage, onion and boiled potatoes?  It is not a soup.  It all gets fried up together in the end.  I am trying to replicate a recipe my mother used to make in Eastern MT.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1