Knoxville, TN burgers

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13476
2003/05/26 19:28:12 (permalink)

Knoxville, TN burgers

If any of you guys that are Roadfood.com readers are ever in Knoxvill, TN and you want a delicous burger, I suggest Littons on Broadway in Fountain City which is just about five miles north of Knoxville. They are consistant winners for the best burger in Knoxville. In addition their dessert menu is superb.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

42 Replies Related Threads

Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2003/05/27 11:18:52 (permalink)
    I'll second this one, as Litton's is my all-time favorite place for burgers!!
    ToddH
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2003/11/13 13:51:09 (permalink)
    I tried Littons the other day. The fries were good,albeit greasy since they use vegetable oil,would be better with beef tallow and/or lard . The bun was just what I would expect,evenly browned with good heft, and just the right amount of softness. I was dissapointed in the burger, it was good, but it was too dry. The service also wasn't quite what I expected. I dined there at about 3-430pm,Friday evening, and the service was not very good (ie. drink refills). The desserts looked very tempting, but after the burger, I had no room for them. I may give them another try, but compared to Fuddruckers in Pigeon Forge, Fuddruckers has a better burger.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2003/11/13 15:17:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ToddH

I tried Littons the other day. The fries were good,albeit greasy since they use vegetable oil,would be better with beef tallow and/or lard . The bun was just what I would expect,evenly browned with good heft, and just the right amount of softness. I was dissapointed in the burger, it was good, but it was too dry. The service also wasn't quite what I expected. I dined there at about 3-430pm,Friday evening, and the service was not very good (ie. drink refills). The desserts looked very tempting, but after the burger, I had no room for them. I may give them another try, but compared to Fuddruckers in Pigeon Forge, Fuddruckers has a better burger.

Fuddruckers? Uh-oh. I've never been to Littons, but I've got a feeling that advocating a Fuddruckers (chain) burger might cause a bit of a dust-up. Better call the sheriff.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2003/11/13 23:00:51 (permalink)
    Well, Todd, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I had just the opposite. My burger there was tasty (although I agree with you that the patty could have been juicier) and nice. As for the desserts, you should have gotten one to go. One of the best Key Lime pies I've ever had.
    Kodachrome
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2003/12/04 20:23:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddH

Fuddruckers? Uh-oh. I've never been to Littons, but I've got a feeling that advocating a Fuddruckers (chain) burger might cause a bit of a dust-up. Better call the sheriff.

Fuddruckers makes quality 100% black angus burgers.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2003/12/04 20:55:06 (permalink)
    Add me to the crowd of people who enjoy and appreciate Litton's. I've eaten at the Fountain City store half a dozen times and always had a great meal. I like their burger so much that I always get it. I've had real good dessert there too.

Litton's once had a location on Downtown West in West Knoxville. I only ate their once. It was fine, but, for me, the atmosphere didn't compare to the Fountain City store

I'm glad Paul joggled our memory on this Knox County treasure.

Litton's is on Knoxville's northern edge, close to the interstates.

Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2003/12/09 10:16:38 (permalink)
    I've never had a burger at Litton's that wasn't absolutely bursting with juices. Dry? Hard to imagine... I'll refrain from commenting on Fuddrucker's beyond saying that we have Fuddrucker's here in Nashville - and I find them tolerable at best. But I'd kill to have Litton's here...
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2003/12/09 10:42:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

If any of you guys that are Roadfood.com readers are ever in Knoxvill, TN and you want a delicous burger, I suggest Littons on Broadway in Fountain City which is just about five miles north of Knoxville. They are consistant winners for the best burger in Knoxville. In addition their dessert menu is superb.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul, how about an address, directions for Littons from I-81, etc. I'll be up that way soon.
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2003/12/09 10:59:30 (permalink)
    I'll cast my pickle chips for Litton's, too. And this may well be the red velvet cake epicenter.

Fred Sauceman
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2003/12/09 21:57:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sauceman

I'll cast my pickle chips for Litton's, too. And this may well be the red velvet cake epicenter.

Fred, Mr. Sundancer was telling me just today that the Red Velvet Cake was awesome. I'll try that next time I'm in Knoxville. I had the Key Lime Pie, though, and it was heavenly.
    Buckshot
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/02/18 15:30:01 (permalink)
    Littons has great burgers! Another good place is the Old College Inn (may be Old Campus Inn, can't remember) on the strip near UT. I know it isn't Knoxville, but there's two places in Newport that has awesome burgers - The Grease Rack Restaurant and the Fox and Hounds. Ever been to or heard of these places?

Buckshot

sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/02/18 16:10:06 (permalink)
    Buckshot:

Yes, it is indeed Old College Inn, on Cumberland. A bit off topic, but their signature dish is Metts and Beans, which has been served in Knoxville since the 1930s.

I second your recommendation of the Grease Rack in Newport. Fine ribeye there, too.

Fred Sauceman
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/02/18 16:14:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul, how about an address, directions for Littons from I-81, etc. I'll be up that way soon.

Oneiron:

Desserts at Littons are out of sign and burgers are great. I have attached an address and a testimonial.

http://www.we8there.com/rest_detail.php?busid=1070

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/02/18 16:15:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Buckshot

Littons has great burgers! Another good place is the Old College Inn (may be Old Campus Inn, can't remember) on the strip near UT. I know it isn't Knoxville, but there's two places in Newport that has awesome burgers - The Grease Rack Restaurant and the Fox and Hounds. Ever been to or heard of these places?

Buckshot

Buckshot: Where would the Grease Rack be located?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Buckshot
    Hamburger
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/02/18 17:48:48 (permalink)
    Paul,
    Give me a little time to write the directions - it's a little hard to find if ya ain't ever been! The owners, the Woods family were old friends of my family, and I've been going there since the '70s. They still own it. Back in 1981 in my younger and wilder days, I had it leased with an option to buy, but I didn't exercise my option. Hardest dang job I've ever had! Even back then Joyce Woods (the mom) cooked for me and Judy Woods (the daughter) ran the bar. Found out right quick that I'd rather be a patron than a proprietor. They still serve some of the best ribeyes and filets that I've ever eaten. They are still so consistent with what they do! A word of caution - don't go and be in a hurry to eat - service is slooooow!!!

I'll get the directions to you soon>

Buckshot
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/02/18 18:33:30 (permalink)
    Buckshot: I have been through Newport several times. I recently met "Al the Mayor" at Walmart and we went over to Culvers Orchard south of Newport toward Gatlinburg last October. I had a great lunch with Al and Janet.

I have driven toward Hot Springs several times and I am fairly familar with Newport. Use to be a notorious little town and maybe still is.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Buckshot
    Hamburger
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/03/05 18:13:51 (permalink)
    Directions to the Grease Rack from Knoxville:

Take I40 toward Asheville. Take Exit 435 and turn left on US321 (SR32). Go across the Interstate to the first traffic signal. Turn right on Heritage Blvd. (there's a Shoney's on the corner and a Sagebrush right past Shoney's). Go to the end of Heritage Blvd. and turn left on Morrell Springs Road. The Grease Rack is approximately one mile on the left. Tell Judy that Warren Carpenter said hello!

Hope this helps.

Buckshot

PS - There's another good place on the way to Hot Springs in Del Rio. I'll tell you where it is if you're interested. Also, you gotta try the Fox and Hounds in Newport.
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/03/05 19:34:03 (permalink)
    I am a vegetarian now, but I really did enjoy going to Litton's during my meat eating days! I enjoyed the service, even though I wasn't a regular, I got treated like one!
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/03/06 03:29:54 (permalink)
    Littons was the very first place I tried out of the current edition of Roadfood (we happened to be visiting my wife's sister in Knoxville at the time), and I even had the Thunder Road burger that J&M recommended.

Frankly, the burger was mediocre at best, a drippy, greasy mess that tasted like it had been sitting under a heat lamp. I was wildly unimpressed and I'd strike it off the list entirely except that they also had Italian cream cake. Next time, I'll go for the cake and have a burger someplace else. I'd take a Whopper over that.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/09/22 18:40:14 (permalink)
    Litton's has excellent hamburgers and desserts and hard to beat. No one's mentioned Bel Air Grill which I think is a small local chain. They've been voted "Best Cheeseburger" a time or two. I've had a few and thought they were good also.

carl reitz
    carlton pierre
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/10/21 00:02:27 (permalink)
    Hamburger at Litton's yesterday with my father in law. They truly are good!!

carl reitz
    carlton pierre
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/11/02 17:03:14 (permalink)
    Calling any Knoxvillians!! I live in Powell, on the NW side of Knoxvegas. There is a little gas station/convenience store called "Hump"s, on Clinton Hwy, that advertises best hamburger, and always wins the local hot dog contest every year. I've lived here 12 years and have yet to try either one. Anybody ever had one? I may have to do a community service and try one and report.

carl reitz
    carlton pierre
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2004/11/07 22:50:23 (permalink)
    Another place comes to mind for great burgers and that's Sam & Andy's deli on Broadway, just north of I-640. excellent cheeseburgers and fries are really good, also.

carl reitz
    Burger Eater
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2005/01/28 06:28:33 (permalink)
    Which Littons am I supposed to go to? There is a Littons on Essary Dr. and there is a Littons Diner on West Blvd. My girlfriend and I travel a lot and we always try to find the best burgers in town. May sound a little crazy, but the world needs all types.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2005/01/28 06:45:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Burger Eater

Which Littons am I supposed to go to? There is a Littons on Essary Dr. and there is a Littons Diner on West Blvd. My girlfriend and I travel a lot and we always try to find the best burgers in town. May sound a little crazy, but the world needs all types.

Littons in Fountain City across from the duck pond. It is real good. I guarantee it. I guess their address is Essary Drive but it is really on Broadway.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    carlton pierre
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2005/03/04 16:29:54 (permalink)
    I've lived here a dozen years and until today had not tried a little place right near my house. It's called Hump's, and it's alittle gas station on Clinton Hwy. just before you get to the old airplane/former gas station landmark. The owner's name is Humphammer, thus the name. it's a neat little station, one or two tables for the local spit 'n whittle club to sit and discuss what's wrong with the world and how George Bush will fix it. He wins the Best Hotdog contest every year we have in Powell (not known for food of any kind, really).
    Anyway, the hamburger was actually quite good!@@! Very flavorful and juicy and worthy of a photo if I knew how to get it on the website. They also offer fried boloney and griled cheese sandwiches, et al.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2005/03/10 09:40:43 (permalink)
    Any other good burger joints in this town besides Litton's and College Inn?
    subrosa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2006/09/22 13:36:42 (permalink)
    Leo's Pulled Pig in Lenoir City has a one pound burger that is worth the trip. It is only $5.50. Good quality meat with homegrown tomatoes. Very tasty.

Also, Ruby Tueday's Triple Prime is excellent (maybe one of the best burgers anywhere) but at $10.50 too pricey.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Knoxville, TN burgers 2006/09/26 10:38:08 (permalink)
    I like the Ali baba vol burger.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1