The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Knoxville, TN fried OKRA

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 54
Sundancer7

Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Mon, 07/21/03 9:13 PM (permalink)
Our okra patch is beginning to produce fruit. I realize that many folks do not appreciate okra, but it has been a staple in our family for many years. About 60 as I can count. There are many ways to use okra, but my favorite way is the way my mother has done it. She coats it in oil, dips it in cornmeal and fry's it on the pan. She adds spices such as pepper, salt and a little hot sauce. It sure is good.

Occasionally she adds the okra with some tomatos and lets it cook on the stove. I like it that way particular with some Tennessee fried cornbread.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
    RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Mon, 07/21/03 9:28 PM (permalink)
    While fried okra is good (enjoyed some yesterday), my favorite way to eat okra came, too, from my mom's cooking - good old boiled okra (the slimy kind) with butter melted over it and vinegar poured on it. Eat it with all those good summer vegetables Mayhaw Man was having this weekend. Another good way to eat it is boiled in with a big mess of peas.

BigGlenn

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/22/03 12:55 AM (permalink)
      Fried is the only way to go if you ask me. Add some Black Eyed Peas, Greens, Corn Bread, Sliced Tamaters, Sliced Onions Or Green Onions and a bottle of Pepper Sauce. Ice Tea and leave me alone for hour. Thats All I need! Thank You Very Much.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/22/03 1:40 AM (permalink)
        We like to have some Okra along one edge of the small veggie garden. We grow the Burgundy variety because it has beautiful foliage and flowers that add to the appearance of the garden. It cooks up a dark green and has all the qualities (or lack of them) as the regular variety.

Sundancer7

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/22/03 4:59 AM (permalink)
          We have had bad luck with our Okra this year. Our first planting did not germinate and the second only came up sparsely. I talked with other neighboring gardners and they had a similar experience. The okra Gods were against us this year. We have about six plants now working in the garden. Fortunately they provide enough for Sunday dinner each week.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Liketoeat

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/22/03 9:14 AM (permalink)
            Personally without a garden this year (have just a few tomato plants), but have heard others here in
            Arkansas as well as friends in southern Missiouri say the same things about their okra crops as you report,
            Sundancer, so maybe its a pretty common situation across the south this season. Wonder if the unusually wet and cool spring could be the or at least part of the reason.

Sundancer7

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/22/03 9:25 AM (permalink)
              Okra is not the easiest thing to germinate. I thought water usually helps the process. The plants we do have up are not healthy. Leaves are yellowing.

I also have heard of others having problems with their Okra.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/22/03 9:38 AM (permalink)
                I've yet to find a way I don't like okra! My wife, however, disagrees and eats it only if fried () and, as we don't fry it at home (dunno why), I get it only when we eat out. We have a tacit agreement: I bring okra into the house only when fried, she brings liver into the house only in paté or dirty rice. I may have to renege after reading these posts, though!

Hode

• Total Posts: 153
                  RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/22/03 10:37 AM (permalink)
                  Okra fan here. I don't complain how it is cooked , and enjoy the different ways it can be prepared.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                    RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/22/03 10:49 AM (permalink)
                    Wish I had some fresh okra!

I like to have what we have always called "okra gumbo"- I soften some onions in a little butter, add a package of frozen sliced okra and stewed tomatoes with a little water, salt and pepper, and Tony Zacharies and let it simmer covered.

If I can get fresh okra and tomatoes that makes it all the better.

Rick F.

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/22/03 11:15 PM (permalink)
                      Aaah! Just home after a day in the trenches of Central Louisana. Went to Rotary (no Babbit comments, please! ). On the menu were (eat your hearts out!):
                      Okra w/ tomatoes, onions, and seasonings I will find out about!
                      Red beans
                      Rice
                      Smoked Sausage
                      Cabbage
                      Water corn bread, which is slightly reminiscent of what my great-grandmother from Crockett County, TN, called corn pone, but not as good.

Live in Louisiana is gooood.

Liketoeat

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Thu, 07/24/03 12:20 PM (permalink)
                        Sundancer, was just talking with friends down near Dothan, AL, who were bemoaning the poor okra crops they and everyone in that area are experiencing this year; said sick looking plants, few pods, and the few they have start curling up about the time they start growing with most winding up as small, curled up, not at all good pods. So, for whatever reason, this must just be a bad okra year everywhere.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                          RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Thu, 07/24/03 2:01 PM (permalink)
                          Alright you guys, what do you roll your okra in to fry them? Is cornmeal batter the only way, and what is the best batter?

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                            RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Thu, 07/24/03 2:12 PM (permalink)
                            Oh c'mon Rick...I'll bet you are a booster for "Zenith, City of the Future!" aren' you?

Sounds like a wonderful lunch!

Sundancer7

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Thu, 07/24/03 2:19 PM (permalink)
                              I do not like my okra heavily battered like a lot of appetizer menus serve them. I like the okra oiled and rolled in some cornmeal, seasoned and fried in a light oil until the okra and cornmeal begins to brown. I don't like it rock hard.

Paul E. Smith
                              Knoxville, TN

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 889
                                RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Thu, 07/24/03 10:20 PM (permalink)
                                I agree with Sundancer -- don't batter it, just slice it, add some cornmeal & salt and fry it up. It's better if it's not completely coated. Too many places try to turn it into some god-forsakened chicken nugget-looking creation. Those people have no sense at all -- but it does make it easy to identify who is using frozen okra...

Rick F.

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Thu, 07/24/03 11:06 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by EliseT

Alright you guys, what do you roll your okra in to fry them? Is cornmeal batter the only way, and what is the best batter?
                                  The best batter is Barry Bonds.

Rick F.

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Thu, 07/24/03 11:20 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Lone Star

Oh c'mon Rick...I'll bet you are a booster for "Zenith, City of the Future!" aren' you?

Sounds like a wonderful lunch!
                                    A: Think "Elmer Gantry"! I am a cleric, I'll have you know!

B: It was indeed wonderful. I had to adjust seatbelt, braces, and car seat before leaving the parking lot.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                      RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Fri, 07/25/03 12:51 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
                                      Originally posted by EliseT

The best batter is Barry Bonds.

OK, I walked right into that one, didn't I?

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                                        RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Fri, 07/25/03 7:30 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by pogophiles

-- don't batter it, just slice it, add some cornmeal & salt and fry it up. It's better if it's not completely coated.

That's the way we cook it too, and I have to admit that I like it almost burnt to a crisp !! The crispier the better !

jdg68

• Total Posts: 47
                                          RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Mon, 07/28/03 12:19 AM (permalink)
                                          I agree the okra plants are a little behind this year. Last year my plants were up to about six feet tall. This year they are slow growing, I think due to the wet conditions. I have about 30 or so plants, red velvet, green velvet, clemson spineless. I like it with tomatoes and onions, fried, as an ingredient in stir fry, in soups and stews, every way except...um raw. Shepherd's Garden Seeds (part of White Flower Farms) used to carry a burgundy variety but alas no more as they have cut their vegetable seed collection to almost nothing. Seeds of Change makes a red variety though.

If I have enough I would like to pickle some, anyone else do that?

Rick F.

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Mon, 07/28/03 12:56 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by jdg68Shepherd's Garden Seeds (part of White Flower Farms) used to carry a burgundy variety but alas no more as they have cut their vegetable seed collection to almost nothing.
                                            I found http://www.mainstreetseedandsupply.com/vsokra1.htm. Is this what you were looking for?

Sundancer7

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/29/03 7:33 PM (permalink)
                                              We replanted our Okra a few weeks ago and it seems to be coming along OK. The other plants are very weak and not doing well. I have talked with others who are having the same problems. It must be a a common problem in the USA this year as others have reported sickly plants this year.

Paul E. Smith
                                              knoxville, TN

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3564
                                                RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/29/03 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                                I haven't found it in the markets here, but a Cajun restaurant I go to has some killer pickled okra. They are delicious! I wish I could find some out here on the Left Coast.

Sundancer7

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/29/03 8:35 PM (permalink)
                                                  I bought a Bloody Mary at Uglesich's in New Orleans and it is the best one I have ever had in the USA and I have had a lot.

The reason I mention this is one of the ingredients Mrs. Uglesich puts in the bloody mary's is pickled Okra. I pulled it out and ate it. It was wonderful and I wished I had found out what she uses.

I bought some at Knoxville at Walmart, but it was not the same. If you have been there and had one, please advise the brand so I can buy.

Paul E. Smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

Rick F.

• Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                    RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Tue, 07/29/03 10:32 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by EdSails

I haven't found it in the markets here, but a Cajun restaurant I go to has some killer pickled okra. They are delicious! I wish I could find some out here on the Left Coast.
                                                    If you can't find it out West, here's a link to McIlhenny's where you can order it. I use a variety of McIlhenny's products, and love their okra in Bloody Marys. (Of course, if you drink too many and eat the spicy okra, they become "Blooey Marys.")

http://countrystore.tabasco.com/index_category_more.cfm?tlcatid=2&catid=3&moreid=C68

jdg68

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Thu, 07/31/03 12:38 AM (permalink)
                                                      Rick F., thanks for the link to the site. I've bookmarked it.
                                                      I'm definitely going to pickle some okra this year, probably using
                                                      the same method I use for pickled jalapenos and serranos.

alb

RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Sat, 07/31/04 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                                        The first time I ever had okra I was 9 years old , visiting my uncle's family in Florida. They took me to their friend's house for dinner and she served boiled okra. It was slimy and I couldn't swallow it but I couldn't spit it out. That would've been impolite. So I sat there a long time until it slid down. I didn't have it again until I moved to Texas and somebody served me fried okra and I was immediately converted into an okra fan. I love fried okra! seasoned cornmeal is the best coating, fried until moderately crisp. I could also eat pickled okra until I bust. Hmmm, I think I have some in the cupboard now...

MamaPoo

• Total Posts: 38
                                                          RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Sat, 07/31/04 4:05 PM (permalink)
                                                          I like to roll my sliced okra in self-rising flour. It makes a nice light crispy crust & is not gritty like cornmeal. It's not a heavy coating like the frozen stuff you buy either.

zussers

• Total Posts: 232
                                                            • Location: knoxville, TN
                                                            RE: Knoxville, TN fried OKRA Sat, 07/31/04 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                                            Though I pretty much grew up in Tennessee, the only Okra I have ever had came from the school cafeteria and that was abysmal!! I have been afraid of it ever since! Somehow you guys make it sound so good! Maybe I will try some of the fried! I don't think I could stomach any of the slimey ones!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 54

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com