Helpful ReplyKohlrabi?

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5148
2014/08/16 08:42:26 (permalink)

Kohlrabi?

Mrs. Chicken and I have been gifted with a kohlrabi, a vegetable completely unknown to us.  A little online research revealed that it's also known as a "German turnip" and one description says the flavor is a little spicy and kind of like a cross between a radish and a turnip.  At this point I'm tempted to relinquish my share and let her do with it as she wishes, but I thought I'd at least check here first.  I do like to cook with fire so I'm wondering if it could be sliced, oiled, seasoned, and grilled, or maybe even buried whole in live coals.

Or should I just build a trebuchet and launch it into the stratosphere?
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
Re: Kohlrabi? 2014/08/16 09:46:37 (permalink)
I slice it up about 1/4" thick and add salt , the same way I eat Radishes. The trebuchet also sounds like a good idea.

post edited by Uncle Groucho - 2014/08/16 09:48:13
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1733
Re: Kohlrabi? 2014/08/16 09:47:59 (permalink)
One year in a fit of being "back to the Earth" we put in a row of kohlrabi.  Prolific!  To be honest, it's not bad sliced or diced or julienned in a stir-fry. There's lots of other recipes on the net that look interesting.

I would not make a steady diet of it...but not bad once in a while

Or..paint them white and have a summertime April Fools joke playing baseball
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 410
Re: Kohlrabi? 2014/08/16 12:57:03 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Mrs. Chicken and I have been gifted with a kohlrabi, a vegetable completely unknown to us.  A little online research revealed that it's also known as a "German turnip" and one description says the flavor is a little spicy and kind of like a cross between a radish and a turnip.  At this point I'm tempted to relinquish my share and let her do with it as she wishes, but I thought I'd at least check here first.  I do like to cook with fire so I'm wondering if it could be sliced, oiled, seasoned, and grilled, or maybe even buried whole in live coals.

Or should I just build a trebuchet and launch it into the stratosphere?

You should send it back to it's home planet. It looks like some form of alien baby!

WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re: Kohlrabi? 2014/08/18 10:03:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TNBear 2014/08/23 09:44:09
I have 2 rows of kohlrabi in my garden.  Primarily it's shredded and dresssed as slaw or sliced thin as part of a salad, cut into planks for a vege tray and dip.  Summers end I usually have enough for a jar or three of pickles.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
Re: Kohlrabi? 2014/08/18 23:28:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TNBear 2014/08/23 09:44:25
As mentioned a couple of times above  sliced/diced chilled it can be enjoyed raw as a veggie snack like jicama or radish, I enjoy the smaller--picked young-- 'skinned and cut into bite sized pieces'.  Also good added onto beef kabobs with onion and mushroom and beef.  Marinate the Kohlrabi in your favorite sauce before sticking it on the skewers and grilling..I like a teriyaki flavor It lends some chewy body to the softer veggies.  I do like Kohlrabi, while I will pass on most Turnips. It lends itself to grilling  or stirfrying very well.

marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 368
Re: Kohlrabi? 2014/08/20 08:10:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TNBear 2014/08/23 09:44:43
my hungarian dad grew it in our backyard when i was a kid, everybody called it the sputnik plant.. it certainly does look very strange if you've never seen them, especially a whole row of them growing.

they are delicious raw. we never ate them any other way, usually they would get sliced thinly along with thinly sliced cucumber, mixed together with salt to extract a lot of water, then seasoned with various herbs and spices along with some sour cream....
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 804
Re: Kohlrabi? 2014/08/20 12:04:17 (permalink)
Kohlrabi, the next Kale?
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
Re: Kohlrabi? 2014/08/20 13:02:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TNBear 2014/08/23 09:46:02
My childhood garden favorite, and much sought after in my adult years....  My mother had a fantastic garden - - and I earned Popsicle money by endless hours of pulling weeds in the garden...  But I carried a penknife and a salt shaker in my pocket, and kohlrabi was a wonderful snack treat....  I would pull a ripe one from the ground - - clean it by rubbing it clean of soil on my shorts or shirt and I would peel it and slice hunks off of it to eat - - sprinkled with salt...  During those days, I developed a taste for raw veggies, and it wasn't until I was a grown-up that I would eat cooked broccoli, cauliflower, lima beans and many other veggies - - but my mom would sneak some of them into soups, stews and other diabolical locations...  

I hadn't seen them in years, and found some in a grocery in Hawaii - - I gathered up 4 or 5 of them and about died when I had to pay $10 for the lot at the checkout...  You gotta believe that I cherished every last sliver of my bounty....

I love them still - - mostly sliced raw with salt or a dip (hot or cold).....  I have shredded some to add to slaw or other salads, and I try to get to the local farmer's market early to grab a sack full of them....  My daughter went to a county fair a couple of weeks ago and sent me photos of cabbage-head sized kohlrabis, that were supposedly as tender as the baseball sized ones...  We are going to search for the seeds of the big ones for next years' garden....

A Facebook friend who lives in Berlin, Germany has a large section of his garden allotment filled with kohlrabi - - both green and a purple skinned variety and he is supposed to send me a recipe for creamed Kohlrabi (but he is moving to Frankfort and the recipe is in a box somewhere...)  I can't wait, but the season is waneing....  I will share it when I get it....

Kohlrabis are wonderful.....

marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 368
Re: Kohlrabi? 2014/08/22 06:07:51 (permalink)
kohlrabi is basically a turnip that forgot how to grow underground..... the taste is similar, but different...
ATruckInTucson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Kohlrabi? 2014/08/22 13:47:13 (permalink)
kohlrabi coleslaw! peel, julienne, dress lightly (vegenaise, lemon juice, garlic, s&p, pinch of sugar.)

you can eat the greens too!
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1