Kohrs custard at the Jersey shore

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
2007/08/31 11:20:24 (permalink)

Kohrs custard at the Jersey shore

As a long time Jersey resident, I grew up with Kohrs custard stands along the various boardwalks. On a recent trip,the other day with my kids, I retried one. It seemed different. My childhood passion was banana custard..and I remember it with pieces of banana in it. Is my memory faulty..or is this custard different?
leethebard

4 Replies Related Threads

nicolem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Kohrs custard at the Jersey shore 2007/08/31 12:44:03 (permalink)
    I haven't really noticed a difference still yummy to me. I tend to not be as attuned to subtle differences as others maybe. I had one on the Point BW about month ago and it was yummy-just plain vanilla. Last time I was in Seaside, I had my favorite mint and vanilla twist-that tasted the same to me. Don't know if they changed it. I am 38 and hae been eating them for as long as I can remember.

Nicole
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: Kohrs custard at the Jersey shore 2007/08/31 13:49:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Nicole. We all use the one in Point P. a lot...Still wish they had banana more often. My son prefers the Dippin' Dots next door. Now there's a whole new ice cream topic!!! Go figure..it's a new world out there.
    leethebard
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Kohrs custard at the Jersey shore 2007/09/01 13:36:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

As a long time Jersey resident, I grew up with Kohrs custard stands along the various boardwalks. On a recent trip,the other day with my kids, I retried one. It seemed different. My childhood passion was banana custard..and I remember it with pieces of banana in it. Is my memory faulty..or is this custard different?

IIRC, there was an article in one of the Jersey papers several years ago that explained why there are two different "Kohrs" companies (a result in a split in the family).

http://www.kohrbros.com/
    http://www.kohrstheoriginal.com/home.php
    phlmaestro2000
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Kohrs custard at the Jersey shore 2007/09/01 14:17:50 (permalink)
    I have only had Kohr's once or twice, and that was from a stand in a suburban Philadelphia mall, so I can't say from personal experience whether it's changed over the years. But a guy I know who is a big custard fan says it's no longer genuine frozen custard. It's got more air pumped into it now and is more like soft-serve ice cream; probably not that unlike what you get at Rita's. It's a little better than Dairy Queen in terms of the density from what I remember, but not comparable to the couple real custard places I've been to.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1