Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City

Author
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1384
2009/08/18 23:28:08 (permalink)

Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City

Apparently, we're getting two locations of a startup called Kolache Mama here in Gotham.  Their Web site is plenty fancy and they do Twitter, which are two signs that these dough balls aren't going to be made by kindly old Eastern European women.  However, the price does look right (2 for $5) and the combos sound delicious.  I'll definitely give them a try once they open.  Stand by for review.

http://www.kolachemama.com/index.html

14 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/18 23:41:13 (permalink)
    WE HAVE EVERYTHING!! NEW YORK CITY RULES!!  

Sorry, WJ, I just couldn't resist!!!!  Heehee!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/18 23:50:49 (permalink)
    Some of these remind me of pigs in a blanket.

I thought kolaches are pastries/desserts mainly.
    billyboy
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/19 00:00:52 (permalink)
    I think on the RF Austin tour and Buffetbuster's Texas sojourn there were a number of kolache stops that had sweet and savory versions.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/19 07:43:58 (permalink)

You can rest assured that some Texan will complain that the sausage isn't like the stuff back home, much like I complain that I cannot find Italian sausage as good in N.Y.

Most kolaches seem to focus on the meaty, savory fillings. The sausage is a course grind much like a Polish sausage.
    The question is when will runzas make a appearance in the Big City? 

mark
    dexmat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/19 09:13:41 (permalink)
    The meat filled ones would be called[<font] klobasnikie in the old country but they're most commonly called kolaches in Texas, sometimes pigs-in-a-blanket, which is what they are.  They may be made with breakfast links, little smokies, or, in the more authentic places, a half section of a Czech sausage, usually only mildly smoked if at all.  Popular varieties include w/cheese and w/cheese and jalapeno but the authentic version would include sauerkraut.  Savory version also come with ham, egg, potato, and pan sausage and God knows what all the chain Kolache Factory has now come up with - probably pepperoni, salami, bologna, hamburger, cheeseburger, etc.

Although there are some savory ones called kolaches the kolache properly is a sweet filled pastry and there are many variations.  The most popular are possibly poppy seed, prune and apricot.

I've never paid more than $1.25 for a kolache, savory or sweet, in a Texas kolache shop.
    post edited by dexmat - 2009/08/19 09:16:12
    billyboy
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/19 09:41:40 (permalink)
    It's only a matter of time before BPTs, loosemeats, runzas, beef on weck and Chicken Vesuvio make their way to the Big Apple!!!!!!!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/19 10:27:31 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

Some of these remind me of pigs in a blanket.

I thought kolaches are pastries/desserts mainly.

I was thinking... 

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15214
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/19 11:35:24 (permalink)
    When I discussed the varieties of Kolache we found in Texas with my Czech cousins, they thought that the Americanized versions had gotten away from what the original pastry was intended to be. The only 'flavor' we had enjoyed prior to our introduction to Texas-cooking some years ago, were the fruit/poppyseed/cremecheese stuffed Kolache of my Prague-born mother and her family.

DexTex- your evaluation of the difference between the dessert type and the meaty version matches mine.

Our best deal on Kolache -on the road- was in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where we stopped several summers in a row at the Czech Heritage Center and Library. Mom was a big supporter of that organization, so we would visit the community on our summer roadtrips during the 90's. St Ludmilla's Church has a Kolache festival each summer with all the usual church festival activities, including Mass said/sung in Czech. The basement of the Church Hall turns into a major bakery with a crew of stout Iowa-Czech Ladies producing huge quantities of fruity and cream-cheesey Kolache  by the dozen. At $3.00 a dozen for "still-warm-from-the-oven" pastries, we would gorge ourselves before leaving the festival. I do believe that one of our visits we managed to buy 6 dozen of the little devils, 3 Apricots, 2 Cream-cheese, and one Poppyseed. They disappeared within a day or so as we headed West!
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1841
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/19 16:03:22 (permalink)
    I grew up in a Czech/German family, and whatever Kolache Mama is selling, doesn't look even remotely like the kolaches all the old Czech women in the community used to make.

They look like this:

Poppy seed, cherry, apricot, plum, cream cheese, saurkraut...  just about any fruit.  I've never seen a meat kolache.  Mom, grandma, all the church ladies, they never made them.

And Al ~ What a small world.  My Mom helped establish the Cedar Rapids Czech Heritage Center!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15214
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/19 16:55:15 (permalink)
    Toad, we haven't been up there since my Mom passed away in 2004. She left her "Bohemian Folk Dancer Outfit" to the Czech Heritage Center in her Will. I want to stop there when I can and see if her Dress survived the Flood. That place is a treasuretrove for folks looking for their roots
    dexmat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2009/08/20 21:05:51 (permalink)
    WarToad

I grew up in a Czech/German family, and whatever Kolache Mama is selling, doesn't look even remotely like the kolaches all the old Czech women in the community used to make.

They look like this:

Poppy seed, cherry, apricot, plum, cream cheese, saurkraut...  just about any fruit.  I've never seen a meat kolache.  Mom, grandma, all the church ladies, they never made them.

I didn't even bother to look at the link but you are absolutely correct, those don't look like kolaches to me either, not a single one of them.

So what is needed is some competition from a Danish Mama chain offering Reuben Danish, smoked garlic sausage Danish, etc.

Is there a kolache shop in Rochester?  Do they have a Garbage Plate kolache on the menu?

Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2010/02/25 10:30:34 (permalink)
    Kolache Mama is no more.  Out of business.  Departed.  The product was good, the location was awful. 
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2010/02/25 12:55:25 (permalink)
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Kolache finally(?) coming to New York City 2010/02/25 14:43:04 (permalink)
    come to Oklahoma--there all opver the place---we even have a festival for them!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1