Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent

Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4207
2009/07/31 18:07:10 (permalink)

Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent

There will be a Korean street festival August 8th and 9th on Bryn Mawr Avenue in Chicago.  Mrs. Roadhouse and I will be available for the 9th if anyone is interested in making an afternoon of it.  We can plan on dinner later in the evening (Mykonos in Niles?  It's on the way home for all the Milwaukee people.), or just do the fest and leave it at that.  The festival runs from 11am to 9pm on that Sunday.

Any interest?

Buddy

16 Replies Related Threads

X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 942
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/07/31 18:15:43 (permalink)
    I'd LOVE to, but Aug 9 is my sister's bday, so I have party plans.
    Bummer.
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/07/31 22:57:00 (permalink)
     We'll be at the festival. Not sure about after.
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/07/31 23:45:29 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

There will be a Korean street festival August 8th and 9th on Bryn Mawr Avenue in Chicago.  Mrs. Roadhouse and I will be available for the 9th if anyone is interested in making an afternoon of it.  We can plan on dinner later in the evening (Mykonos in Niles?  It's on the way home for all the Milwaukee people.), or just do the fest and leave it at that.  The festival runs from 11am to 9pm on that Sunday.

Any interest?

Buddy

Hi Buddy, Your mention of Mykonos brings back many fond memories. For years, when faced with long layovers at Ohare ( grew up in Deerfield) I would take a cab to Mykonos and have a nice lunch before continuing on. One thing I do miss most places is Chicago style Greek food.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/01 00:11:29 (permalink)
    You live in a beautiful part of the country SL, with lots of great food, but I bet you haven't heard anyone yell, "OPAA!" in a long time.

Buddy
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/01 00:34:52 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

You live in a beautiful part of the country SL, with lots of great food, but I bet you haven't heard anyone yell, "OPAA!" in a long time.

Buddy

Exactly Buddy. Exactly!

No Sf is a great food area with wonderful Asian, Mexican, etc. But Greek food and Chicago style deli food are certainly missing. And I am sure Burt could make a trillion dollars here if he chose!

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/01 00:41:37 (permalink)
    You couldn't get him out there for a hundred trillion dollars, man!  He is firmly entrenched in his little corner of the world and quite happy there.  Of course, you could come here every now and again.  Get your pizza fix, get your Greek fix, couple Italian beefs and a real Hot Dog, maybe.

Buddy
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/01 02:06:15 (permalink)
    jeepguy,

We'd be happy to have you join the group, but at this point we have no idea how big our group will be, or if there will even be a group.  Add to that my unfamiliarity with specific landmarks on that stretch of road and I'm not even sure where we'll meet.  If you have any knowledge of Bryn Mawr around the 3200 block, and can suggest a good meeting place it would be welcomed.

Buddy
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/04 14:33:40 (permalink)
    Korea Fest is this weekend and we haven't gotten a huge response, so I thought I would bump this thread a little to encourage some interest.

Where are you Milwaukee and Chicago people?  Two city blocks of Korean food, fun, and culture!  Followed by the potential for a nice group dinner later in the evening!  How are we missing this?

Buddy
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/06 23:19:51 (permalink)
    Just read that the Ginza Holiday, a Japanese festival is going on the same day.  The fest has a very low admission fee and offers some great entertainment including some fantastic taiko drum groups performing at various times.  They make some outstanding teriyaki chicken dinners along with many other Japanese specialties.

We could make it a full day by going to the Korean Fest early, and finishing up at the Ginza Holiday.

Anybody out there?

Buddy
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/07 00:02:12 (permalink)
    I'm not a big fan of ethnic cuisines ( Maw never fixed anything but domestic dishes way back when ), but what the heck, sounds like it might be fun. Buddy, count me in for Sunday.    
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/08 12:55:29 (permalink)
    Buddy, I see that the Korean Fest is located on Bryn Mawr between Kedzie and Kimball. Have you decided on when and where we're going to meet? 

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/08 15:13:12 (permalink)
    Barring weather complications (rain, excessive heat /humidity) we plan to be at the northeast corner of Kimball and Bryn Mawr between 2-2:15pm.  I will post the final plans, based on weather, as early as possible on Sunday.

Hope to see you Bob, and anyone else who wishes to join us!

Buddy

P.S. We'll most likely finish the day at the Ginza Holiday, also going on this weekend, at the Midwest Buddhist Temple in Old Town.  Great teriyaki chicken dinners, and plenty more to make it worthwhile!

B.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/09 14:07:49 (permalink)
    Sorry for holding out until the last minute.  We were really hoping the heat would break, or not develop at all.  Unfortunately, this weather makes it difficult for Mrs. Roadhouse to be outside, so I will be flying solo down to Korea Fest.  I'll be at the northeast corner of Kimball and Bryn Mawr no later than 2:30pm.  We'll see how we hold up and determine if we'll continue on to the Ginza Holiday (which is held partially indoors).

See ya when I see ya,

Buddy
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 648
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/11 16:51:20 (permalink)

This sounds like fun; wish I could've gone!
    Big Ugly Mich
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1302
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/11 17:00:10 (permalink)
    smokestack lightning No Sf is a great food area with wonderful Asian, Mexican, etc. But Greek food and Chicago style deli food are certainly missing. And I am sure Burt could make a trillion dollars here if he chose!
    I thought Chicago style was hot dogs and pizza.  Sorry I missed the fest, though, but as a native of Milwaukee, the City of Festivals, I have an excuse.

post edited by Big Ugly Mich - 2009/08/11 17:06:14
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Korea Fest for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent 2009/08/11 19:27:06 (permalink)
    Pizza, Hot Dogs, and Italian Beef sandwiches are the stand out regional foods of our town, but we have an abundance of ethnic choices throughout the metro area as well.  Mexican, Italian, and Chinese are obvious examples, but we have seen huge increases recently in representatives from across South America, Asia, Africa, and Eastern Europe.  In fact, I think if you laid out a map of the world and pointed to any nation on Earth, I could find at least one restaurant here in town serving that nation's native cuisine.  If I couldn't find an exact match, I could come within three countries (I'm thinking mainly of the myriad of countries in Africa; pretty much everything else is readily available).

Buddy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1