Korean BBQ & Other Culinary Misnomers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
southjerseymichigan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:Korean BBQ & Other Culinary Misnomers 2013/09/11 05:14:34 (permalink)
In metropolitan Dearborn (Mich) "coney islands" were grubby places that served "coney dogs."
i hated the name. i don't wanna eat at place honoring a has-been amusement park inhabited by druggies an
National Coney Island was a chain, and it's restaurants, while usually on the grubby side, could be quite nice. Their flagship location in Warren had a nightclub and, to help you find it, a lighthouse on top.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4095
Re:Korean BBQ & Other Culinary Misnomers 2013/09/11 09:24:12 (permalink)
felix4067

I've learned all sorts of things about the word "barbecue" in this thread. Where I come from, you can have a barbecue (party held outdoors where you serve grilled food), you can barbecue (cook food on a grill), and you can call anything barbecue that is coated in barbecue sauce. I was not aware until this thread that the only proper way to call something "barbecue" was to cook it low and slow over fire.

Actually, it's smoked while "cooking low & slow" over indirect heat.

Until some years after I moved South from my Pittsburgh birthplace I had never heard of this.  Sure, I had heard of "smoking" hams, kielbassa, etc. but that was a preservation/flavoring technique, not cooking.  And, it is done in a "smokehouse", not a barbecue pit.  And, that process takes days, not hours.

Like all tasty foods, true 'Cue has crept North to Minneapolis, Detroit, Chicago, & the City.  And from there outward to the burbs.  Just as Tex-Mex exploded North in the '70's (remember Chi Chi's?), now 'Que is becoming really fashionable.

Trouble is, really great 'Que only comes out of small operations (e.g., Franklin's, Wilber's) and not "chains" doing "Que for the masses:  e.g., Dinosaur, Dickey's, Famous Dave's. 

It was the same with Tex-Mex; now Dickey's - which is now 400+ stores nationwide - is fast becoming "The Taco Bell of 'Que".
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 334
Re:Korean BBQ & Other Culinary Misnomers 2013/09/11 09:36:21 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

FriedClamFanatic

Dutch Courage

And, I guess it makes a little sense from my grandfather's tales of his friendship with the then-retired Honus Wagner.

With a name like Johannes Peter "Honus" Wagner ("The Flying Dutchman), I'm pretty sure he was of German (Deutsch) extraction. 
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Korean BBQ & Other Culinary Misnomers 2013/09/11 09:56:29 (permalink)
Treetop Tom

MetroplexJim

FriedClamFanatic

Dutch Courage

And, I guess it makes a little sense from my grandfather's tales of his friendship with the then-retired Honus Wagner.

With a name like Johannes Peter "Honus" Wagner ("The Flying Dutchman"), I'm pretty sure he was of German (Deutsch) extraction. 

That could very well be. 

In Western PA "Dutch" is very often used interchangeably with "German".  And, especially toward the end of his career, being of Deutsch extraction was not exactly popular - especially after the Lusinania and the Zimmerman Telegram!

In my teenage hometown of New Wilmington we have a large Amish population.  We call them "Dutchies"; they call everyone who is not Amish (including Blacks & Asians) "the English"!

In any case, Wagner and Ruth - both "Germanic" - were two of the first three position players inducted into the HOF.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3755
Re:Korean BBQ & Other Culinary Misnomers 2013/09/14 10:09:29 (permalink)
I was invited to a football watch party for my buddy's law school alma mater. They are having it at Buffalo Wild Wings, a place where I have never eaten. I looked online at their menu, and they have something that has always been a curiosity to me - boneless chicken wings.

Does someone actually take the time to de-bone the chicken wing, or are these really what McDonald's would call "McNuggets?"
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Korean BBQ & Other Culinary Misnomers 2013/09/14 10:45:30 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

I was invited to a football watch party for my buddy's law school alma mater. They are having it at Buffalo Wild Wings, a place where I have never eaten. I looked online at their menu, and they have something that has always been a curiosity to me - boneless chicken wings.

Does someone actually take the time to de-bone the chicken wing, or are these really what McDonald's would call "McNuggets?"

Never had them.  And I don't even want to imagine.

But, the one thing I do know about BWW is that a lot of what you're paying for is the "atmosphere".  Those are some expensive wings - kinda like paying the admission to Disneyland just to go to lunch there.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3502
Re:Korean BBQ & Other Culinary Misnomers 2013/09/14 11:56:08 (permalink)
Boneless chicken wings are breaded pieces of breast. Nothing sinister.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1