Korean Food

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
marky
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Joined: 2003/03/20 11:02:00
  • Location: boynton beach, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/03/07 14:31:29 (permalink)
streetfood stand saw meat on a stick asked what it was vendor said woof woof
#31
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18485
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: online
RE: Korean Food 2008/03/07 14:40:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tigerborn

Why? What was wrong with it?
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

After smelling Korea the very last thing in the world I've wanted to do since is eat Korean food.


The fields were fertilized with human waste.
#32
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
  • Joined: 2006/09/08 07:12:00
  • Location: Miami, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/03/07 18:25:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by tigerborn

Why? What was wrong with it?
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

After smelling Korea the very last thing in the world I've wanted to do since is eat Korean food.


The fields were fertilized with human waste.


I have never had the dubious pleasure of experiencing it, but I understand that the use of human excrement for fertilizer is not unusual in east asia.
#33
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18485
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: online
RE: Korean Food 2008/03/07 19:16:09 (permalink)
So I understand. Having to spend each day and each night in close proximity to such fields, however, does cause one to lose one's appetitie. And you don't ever get away from it as the aroma lingers upon one's clothing and equipment.
#34
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/03/08 06:05:00 (permalink)
I will bet that there is a high incidence of hepatitus.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
#35
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
  • Joined: 2001/03/31 23:43:00
  • Location: Milwaukee, WI
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/03/08 09:02:03 (permalink)
I suspect if human waste was used over fifty years ago in a war zone, that wouldn't be the case today. Koreans suffer from a high percentage of Hepatitis B which is spread through blood not Hepatitis A which is from contaminated food and water. http://www.hepb.org/hepb/abc.htm
So feel free to enjoy your bimbimbop, galbi, bulgoki, chopchae, panchan, and kimchee if you have an open mind and enjoy interesting tastes.
#36
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
  • Joined: 2006/09/08 07:12:00
  • Location: Miami, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/03/08 13:57:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I suspect if human waste was used over fifty years ago in a war zone, that wouldn't be the case today. Koreans suffer from a high percentage of Hepatitis B which is spread through blood not Hepatitis A which is from contaminated food and water. http://www.hepb.org/hepb/abc.htm
So feel free to enjoy your bimbimbop, galbi, bulgoki, chopchae, panchan, and kimchee if you have an open mind and enjoy interesting tastes.



The World Health Organization country site for North Korea makes mention of the problem of diseases caused by the use of human excrement for fertilizer, so I suspect that the fact that there was a war on was not the cause of such usage where Michael Hoffman was.

I found no such mention in the country site for South Korea (the Republic of Korea).

#37
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/03/08 14:26:50 (permalink)
Maybe I am wrong but I am presuming Michael was fighting for his country at the time. And maybe thats why that country leaves a bad taste in his mouth...Russ
#38
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18485
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: online
RE: Korean Food 2008/03/08 15:40:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I suspect if human waste was used over fifty years ago in a war zone, that wouldn't be the case today. Koreans suffer from a high percentage of Hepatitis B which is spread through blood not Hepatitis A which is from contaminated food and water. http://www.hepb.org/hepb/abc.htm
So feel free to enjoy your bimbimbop, galbi, bulgoki, chopchae, panchan, and kimchee if you have an open mind and enjoy interesting tastes.



The World Health Organization country site for North Korea makes mention of the problem of diseases caused by the use of human excrement for fertilizer, so I suspect that the fact that there was a war on was not the cause of such usage where Michael Hoffman was.

I found no such mention in the country site for South Korea (the Republic of Korea).



When I was in Korea, and I was in South Korea, human waste was used to fertilize the fields. I have no idea whether it is still used, although my grandson, who recently returned from Korea -- and is being deployed to Iraq next month -- says the agricultural areas still smell badly. I could not possibly care less what the Wold Health Organization says now. In 1952 and 1953 it was nasty enough in Korea to gag a maggot.
#39
SRlove
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2008/05/01 16:37:00
  • Location: Escondido, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/05/05 18:56:23 (permalink)
I say stick with the kalbi ribs. very tasty!!
#40
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
  • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
  • Location: Sardinia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/05/23 16:15:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hotdogger

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

After smelling Korea the very last thing in the world I've wanted to do since is eat Korean food.


You were in Korea but didn't eat Korean food?
Enjoy your fast food buddy!
I guess I should wade into this thread given my experience and background.

I was in Long Binh Vietnam during the Tet Offensive - I worked at USARV HQ and got to Saigon weekly on a press run (we typed stencils for a daily theatre action newsletter and distributed it to various points in Saigon). USARV HQ was a modular airconditioned building and I spent my normal working day in that environment, with a snack bar on site selling hamburgers and hotdogs and french fries etc. We had a barracks a mile away or so with a regular Army mess next door. We normally ate American food 24-7-365. I do not recall eating any Vietnamese food during my tour.

Since I have been back in the States I have eaten at a couple of Vietnamese restaurants and I absolutely love their food and flavors and I really regret never partaking of their cuisine while I was in their country.

As for Korean food I have been to a couple of Korean-Japanese restaurants in Cincinnati and Kettering Ohio. I have found that you really need to read the menu and ask questions before ordering - I think Korean food varies greatly in taste - my first experience was terrible - my second one (recently in Kettering - was much better - I had a spicy beef soup loaded with noodles and meat and vegetables. We also had many little side dishes as mentioned above that were quite tasty - we were also very luck with our waitress - she was part of the family ownership and she was half-Korean and half-American and she spoke fluent English so we were way ahead of the game in understanding the menu and offerings and what we might like (my first experience involved a Korean waitress who spoke very little English and understood us very little and we her).

I should add I have just started cooking with a Korean clay pot - what wonderful flavors you get using it in an oven. The flavors meld better than when you use standard American cookware.

The pot, I should add, was a gift from my Korean daughter-in-law, who is new to our family (my career Navy son got married to her last year and we first got to meet her over the Fourth of July holidays last year, when she presented us with the pot.)
#41
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
  • Joined: 2003/12/11 06:39:00
  • Location: Bucksnort, TN
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/06/20 05:41:04 (permalink)

Ann-yong-hai-say-oh (This is Korean for Hello!)

I lived in Korea for a few months and now in China, and Korean food is one of my favorites, especially eating with other people. If you like Asian food, there should be no reason why you would not like Korean. Korean food is somewhat similar to Japanese food

The most common Korean restaurants are of the Kal-bi or beef variety, where one buys beef or ribmeat and the waitress bbq's it on your table. When the meat is done, you dip it into a (very good but hard to describe) sauce, stick it in a lettuce leaf and eat.

Before your main meal comes, there will be free dishes offered, with many small dishes of different things, the most famous being the Kimshe, which is spicy fermented cabbage. The Koreans also serve sweet pickles, which is something almost impossible to find in China.I am not a fan of tofu (dofu ¶¹¸¯)but the Koreans make it and it is delicious. Koreans in Korea also like seafood, especially squid, seaweed and other things, probably similiar to Japanese style. More than likely if there is a Korean restaurant in your area in Plunkville USA, it will probably be a BBQ place.

The national alcohol is called Soju, which is a clear drink that tastes like watered down vodka, but it kicks like a Korean mule. I don't care for it, but it maybe offered. Do drink the beer, especially if the restaurant has Korean (OB or CASS) or Japanese beer. If you like the tea, they have an interesting one which tastes like wheat (I think it tastes like shredded wheat.)

Try the Korean food. You'll like it.

Senor
#42
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
  • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
  • Location: Sardinia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/06/20 13:19:40 (permalink)
I have not experienced a Korean BBQ restaurant in Cincinnati or Dayton - usually the restaurants we see here are combo Japanese/Korean ones big on sushi bars.
#43
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
  • Joined: 2001/03/31 23:43:00
  • Location: Milwaukee, WI
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/06/20 14:19:09 (permalink)
In Chicago, I couldn't recommend a place more than Woo Chon 5744 N California Ave - At N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60659 773 728-8001.
A pail of charcoal is placed in the center of your table when you order Gal Bi. This place rocks and the prices are fair plus it has that Roadfood look about it. Good panchan too.
#44
Big_Ted
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Joined: 2007/06/10 17:34:00
  • Location: Freeport, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/07/01 08:12:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I suspect if human waste was used over fifty years ago in a war zone, that wouldn't be the case today. Koreans suffer from a high percentage of Hepatitis B which is spread through blood not Hepatitis A which is from contaminated food and water. http://www.hepb.org/hepb/abc.htm
So feel free to enjoy your bimbimbop, galbi, bulgoki, chopchae, panchan, and kimchee if you have an open mind and enjoy interesting tastes.





The World Health Organization country site for North Korea makes mention of the problem of diseases caused by the use of human excrement for fertilizer, so I suspect that the fact that there was a war on was not the cause of such usage where Michael Hoffman was.

I found no such mention in the country site for South Korea (the Republic of Korea).



When I was in Korea, and I was in South Korea, human waste was used to fertilize the fields. I have no idea whether it is still used, although my grandson, who recently returned from Korea -- and is being deployed to Iraq next month -- says the agricultural areas still smell badly. I could not possibly care less what the Wold Health Organization says now. In 1952 and 1953 it was nasty enough in Korea to gag a maggot.


Mr. Hoffman, I lived in Korea for 3 years. I was married to a Korean woman and I lived as close to the life of a Korean as an American could. Thank you, for starters, for the time you served overseas in what could only have been a terrible place to be. My wife's family told me horror stories of that period. Very few American soldiers came back from Korea with good stories. When you were there, the entire country had been ravaged again and again by Japanese and Communist forces. Hardly a single tree was left standing. My wife's family would tell stories of the Japanese soldiers forcing family members to dig up loved ones just to remove jewelry. And then there was a civil war.

I used to be a sort of volunteer tour guide for war vets who went back to Korea on vacation. None of them recognized the country now.

Modern Korea still uses human waste. However, there are a few things they do differently, such as filtering fields, ect. We have the luxury of lots of cows and pigs, with plenty of space to process their waste. Korea has only 30-percent usable land.

I usually look forward to your posts and I hope that someday you can give Korean food a chance. With over 500 different kinds of kimchi (and yes, there is a museum dedicted to kimchi) it's easy to find something you might like. I hope your son returns home safe and sound.
#45
pimple2
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
  • Joined: 2003/07/23 17:05:00
  • Location: ithaca, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/07/04 15:47:39 (permalink)
I thought the purpose of these threads were to discuss food, and to answer the questions of the Original Poster. I do Not know what the posting etiquette is for Roadfood, but i for one would strongly request the moderators immediately to remove those posts that are

--> totally off-topic
--> exercise the poster's gratuitious prejudice against another culture or country and have absolutely zero relevance to the OP
--> give gratuitous offence to others

We are not here to be subjected to idiocy or viciousness of a few, whatever their presumed "status" in the Roadfood community. Or is the Roadood community signaling tait acceptance and approval of the types of comments mde by MichaelHoffann and TwinWillows? Is there no procedure where readers who find posts extraordnarily hurtful, peronally degrading, can report such posts and request that posts of such nature not be allowed? We are not takng censorship. We are saying that we are a group devoted to talking about food issues, not airing our personal racial and cultural prejdices so proudly and arogantly under some flag of self-righteous nationalism and pseudo-patriotism that seems to have become a haven for filth & scoundrels these days. If you have them, fine, leave your filth at home, don't bring your ignorance and idiocy here and vitiate the atmosphere with your opinions. No one wants to know them. Those who do should create another website called Redneckfood, or if they disagree with what I have to say, clearly say that this philsophy governs the adminisrtion nd mores of the ROADFOOD website.

We want to hear,learn and exchange ideas about food.Not ignorance about geography, politics, cultures, et al. You have no idea what a shocking picture you presnt of Aericato anyone who reads this website--- no idea at all. ndit is not asis this country exists in isolation fom the rest of the world. You cannot imagine the legacy you are leaving your descendants. We all shall be gone in a few years, but spare a thought for them, if you can.
#46
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
  • Joined: 2004/05/01 01:44:00
  • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Korean Food 2008/07/04 16:06:31 (permalink)
My favorite is the galbi beef ribs..(Korean short ribs)
Used to have a few favorite places when I lived in L.A...
they would arrive on a sizzling plate ...
my favorite place is in Gardena, CA, across from the hospital...
(I was the only non-Asian in there the last few times; that's always a good sign)
#47
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1