Korean Food

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 984
2006/03/23 21:52:55 (permalink)

Korean Food

I have never eaten Korean food. Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, yes, but never even driven by a Korean restaurant.

I'd like to try to eat at one in Las Vegas next weekend, since I see they have several - any suggestions as far as where to go and what to order?

46 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Korean Food 2006/03/23 21:59:14 (permalink)
    After smelling Korea the very last thing in the world I've wanted to do since is eat Korean food.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Korean Food 2006/03/23 22:33:24 (permalink)
    The most unusual thing about Korean food (in comparison with the other Asian cuisines you mentioned) is the heavy use of beef. Perhaps the best known example is Bulgogi (or bulgoki), a traditional grilled beef dish. Here's a recipe:
    quote:

Ingedients:

Soy sauce (about 1/4 c): Although you can find soy sauce in an American grocery store, it's highly recommended to buy Japanese or Korean-style soy sauce at an Asian market near you.

Sesame oil (about 2 to 3 T)

Kiwi (1), Fuji Apple (1) or Asian Pear (1): Choose only one fruit. (We recommend kiwi.) Kiwi tenderizes the meat and adds a sweet flavor to the meat.

Sugar

Black pepper (3 dashes)

Onions (1)

Garlic (2 -3 cloves/pieces)

Green onions (about 5 - both white and green parts)

Cooking wine (about 2 T): Korean or Japanese cooking rice wine recommended

Vinegar (about 1 T): This is optional and again, Asian vinegar is recommended.

Directions:

It is very important to freeze the meat first, this helps in cutting the meat into thin slices. After freezing, slightly defrost in the microwave - make sure the meat is still frozen, but workable.

Cut the meat into thin slices, as thin as possible - but watch your fingers!

Put the slices into the large mixing bowl and sprinkle sugar over it and mix with hands or chopsticks. Let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the marinade.

Place onion (1) and kiwi (1) into food processor or blender until liquid and pour into small bowl.

Mix soy sauce (1/4 c), sugar (2 or 3 T), black pepper (2 or 3 dashes), sesame oil (2 to 3 T), cooking wine (about 2 T), (optional - vinegar). After mixing, taste it. You want to have a slightly salty, sweet taste. If it's too salty, add a bit more sugar.

Marinate meat for several hours. Then, grill over charcoal.

Serve meat on a bed of rice.

As you can see, this is a pretty safe thing to order and most Korean places should have it. Another thing you really should try (but with some hesitation) is kimchee--napa cabbage preserved with salt, garlic and red pepper and allowed to ferment (traditionally in burried clay jars). I rather like it but it's not to everyone's taste. Still, you can't really say you've had Korean food without trying it. It's usually served as a condiment or small side dish. After eating it, you will reek of garlic.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    RE: Korean Food 2006/03/23 23:15:04 (permalink)
    The best thing, IMHO, about Korean food is its many contrasts; cold and spicy, sweet and hot, savory, garlicky, and lots of different textures in the many relishes that are served at every table.

Be sure to talk to your waitperson and get a good variety of flavors. They blend together very nicely.

As BT suggests, perhaps the most well known dish in the States is Bulgogi. Other well known offerings are Be Bim Bop, and Chop Chae.

While I love Korean food, and even though there are an abundance of Korean restaurants here in Chicago, I just don't get out to them enough.

Enjoy yourself in Vegas.

Buddy
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Korean Food 2006/03/23 23:27:50 (permalink)
    I love the Korean short ribs (KalBi)... especially straight off the grill.. delish!
    jzwagar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Korean Food 2006/03/24 00:00:21 (permalink)
    I spent a year in Korea compliments of the United States Army and even at the age of eighteen, came to appreciate the wide variety of fabulous food in the everyday Korean diet. Do not miss the opportunity to try Bulkogi (barbecued beef), Kal-Bi (barbecued short ribs), Chop-Chae (cellophane noodles with vegetables and sauteed beef, and Kimchi (fermented, pickled cabbage in a garlicky red-pepper sauce). After 30+ years, I still crave the stuff and on a recent trip to Hawaii was able to eat great Korean food four times...ecstacy!
    Enjoy,
    Jon
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4077
    RE: Korean Food 2006/03/24 13:23:42 (permalink)
    I think the most appealing part of a Korean meal is the number of side dishes/appetizers that are automatically included with each meal. It gives you a chance to have many tastes----rather like a tapas bar without having to order different things. In addition to kim chee and korean pickles, I've had cold chili crab, seaweed salad and many other items. Ten sides is not unusual in a good Korean restaurant. Korean also tends to be entertaining when you go to the places where you cook at the table. I highly recommend it, as well as trying a variety of meats there.
    tigerborn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Korean Food 2006/07/25 20:11:06 (permalink)
    Why? What was wrong with it
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

After smelling Korea the very last thing in the world I've wanted to do since is eat Korean food.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Korean Food 2006/07/25 20:49:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    The best thing, IMHO, about Korean food is its many contrasts; cold and spicy, sweet and hot, savory, garlicky, and lots of different textures in the many relishes that are served at every table.

I agree with this completely. One of my favorite Asian cuisines is Korean. I was able to visit Seoul a number of times and one of the highlights was the Lotte Hotel -- it had a restaurant that served the regional specialities of Korea, in addition to the standards.
    snoopy123
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Korean Food 2006/09/16 00:08:43 (permalink)
    For those unfamiliar with Korean food, check this page out: [url]www.chinatownconnection.com/korean-food.htm[/url]

It does a good job of introducing the different types of Korean dishes.
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Korean Food 2006/09/16 00:39:22 (permalink)
    Get the dishes that come in the hot stone bowl with an egg on top! They rock!
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Korean Food 2006/09/16 02:21:00 (permalink)
    There is an excellent historical Korean drama running right now on AZN cable network that focuses heavily on ancient Korean cooking. It's fascinating partially because it's a true story and partially because they show a lot of actual cooking and prep going on. They also talk a lot about each dish, it's ingredients, and its particular health benefits.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Korean Food 2006/09/16 02:27:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

The most unusual thing about Korean food (in comparison with the other Asian cuisines you mentioned) is the heavy use of beef. Perhaps the best known example is Bulgogi (or bulgoki), a traditional grilled beef dish. Here's a recipe:

quote:

Ingedients:

Soy sauce (about 1/4 c): Although you can find soy sauce in an American grocery store, it's highly recommended to buy Japanese or Korean-style soy sauce at an Asian market near you.

Sesame oil (about 2 to 3 T)

Kiwi (1), Fuji Apple (1) or Asian Pear (1): Choose only one fruit. (We recommend kiwi.) Kiwi tenderizes the meat and adds a sweet flavor to the meat.

Sugar

Black pepper (3 dashes)

Onions (1)

Garlic (2 -3 cloves/pieces)

Green onions (about 5 - both white and green parts)

Cooking wine (about 2 T): Korean or Japanese cooking rice wine recommended

Vinegar (about 1 T): This is optional and again, Asian vinegar is recommended.

Directions:

It is very important to freeze the meat first, this helps in cutting the meat into thin slices. After freezing, slightly defrost in the microwave - make sure the meat is still frozen, but workable.

Cut the meat into thin slices, as thin as possible - but watch your fingers!

Put the slices into the large mixing bowl and sprinkle sugar over it and mix with hands or chopsticks. Let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the marinade.

Place onion (1) and kiwi (1) into food processor or blender until liquid and pour into small bowl.

Mix soy sauce (1/4 c), sugar (2 or 3 T), black pepper (2 or 3 dashes), sesame oil (2 to 3 T), cooking wine (about 2 T), (optional - vinegar). After mixing, taste it. You want to have a slightly salty, sweet taste. If it's too salty, add a bit more sugar.

Marinate meat for several hours. Then, grill over charcoal.

Serve meat on a bed of rice.

As you can see, this is a pretty safe thing to order and most Korean places should have it. Another thing you really should try (but with some hesitation) is kimchee--napa cabbage preserved with salt, garlic and red pepper and allowed to ferment (traditionally in burried clay jars). I rather like it but it's not to everyone's taste. Still, you can't really say you've had Korean food without trying it. It's usually served as a condiment or small side dish. After eating it, you will reek of garlic.

Isn't "Bilgoki" Korean for dog?
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Korean Food 2006/09/16 08:23:26 (permalink)
    quote:

No

Why in the world would you post that?

I'm really curious?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Korean Food 2006/09/16 12:34:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

quote:

No

I'm really curious?

Sorry if your offended. It was mean't more "tongue in cheek" than "foot in mouth". The Korean's, if you are not aware, are notorius users of dogs-yes, dogs!
    in their cooking. And that offends me!
    Beer Belly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Korean Food 2006/10/05 11:17:52 (permalink)
    I believe the word you're looking for is "cagogi", in reference to dog. And while it may be common in Korea, I've never thought twice about it when ordering in a Korean restaurant.

My favorite Korean dishes are Kimchi Jigae (kimchi stew )and Cham Pong (a spicy noodle and seafood soup).
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Korean Food 2006/10/06 11:30:10 (permalink)
    Order Bull Gogi, and it is NOT dog, which BTW is rather tasty.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Korean Food 2006/10/06 12:15:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Order Bull Gogi, and it is NOT dog, which BTW is rather tasty.

HHHmmm,, How about Pit Bull Gogi...? Woof..

I jest, as I love Korean food. There is kalbi marinade and kimchee in the fridge.

mark
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Korean Food 2006/10/06 19:11:47 (permalink)
    Twinwillow -

The use of dogs in Korean cuisine is rare. It's not like there's a piece of Fido on every table.

But it's your use of a tired old stereotype to paint an entire culture that is offensive. And since we're talking about eating animals ... some cultures regard cattle as sacred animals. I wonder what they'd say about us?

- Yumbo
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:

quote:

No

I'm really curious?

Sorry if your offended. It was mean't more "tongue in cheek" than "foot in mouth". The Korean's, if you are not aware, are notorius users of dogs-yes, dogs!
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Korean Food 2006/10/06 22:12:31 (permalink)
    I love Kimchi, cabbage kimchi. Its great on a sandwich.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Korean Food 2006/10/06 22:41:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

Twinwillow -

The use of dogs in Korean cuisine is rare. It's not like there's a piece of Fido on every table.

But it's your use of a tired old stereotype to paint an entire culture that is offensive. And since we're talking about eating animals ... some cultures regard cattle as sacred animals. I wonder what they'd say about us?

- Yumbo

quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:

quote:

No

I'm really curious?

I don't want to drag this point on forever. However, my point is, that in our American culture, we raise cattle for food. Dogs, we raise for pets in our homes.
    No, I am not a vegetarian.
    But, what we do in our culture does not work inother cultures. And visa versa.
    No need to get on an international soapbox.
    Thank you for your time.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Korean Food 2006/10/07 15:01:26 (permalink)
    The Koreans raise a particular breed of dog for eating and they are pretty tasty.
    Wendy62
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Korean Food 2006/10/18 19:43:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fabulousoyster

I love Kimchi, cabbage kimchi. Its great on a sandwich.

ANY kind of kimchi, yes! I even love the instant faked kind they used to serve at the King Buffet in Lafayette Indiana, which was obviously made mostly with Durkee Redhot.
    hotdogger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Korean Food 2008/01/17 23:11:35 (permalink)
    quote:

You were in Korea but didn't eat Korean food?
    Enjoy your fast food buddy!
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Korean Food 2008/02/22 11:21:40 (permalink)
    After living in Asia (I was 3 when we first moved there) I LOVE LOVE LOVE Korean food... even my 12 yo sonwho is a pesco-veggie eats korean.. but then again he's been eating sushi since he was 3.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Korean Food 2008/02/22 11:29:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hotdogger

quote:

You were in Korea but didn't eat Korean food?
    Enjoy your fast food buddy!

When I was in Korea the only food available to us was from OD colored cans. There were no restaurants around, and the stench from the huyman waste used to fertilize the fields was so disgusting it was difficult to swallow any food at all. So don't give me any crap about fast food.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Korean Food 2008/02/25 13:40:13 (permalink)
    I've never had any Korean food that I didn't like...the BBQ is of course one of my favorites. Oh and Kimchi of course, any kind, Winter, Summer, Daikon, Cabbage, Cucumber....endless variations and they are all great!

Now so far as dog....hey different strokes for different folks, I will say it is a bit disconcerting the first time you see a hind quarter hanging in the window of a butcher shop......LOL!
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Korean Food 2008/02/25 20:31:26 (permalink)
    I dated a lovely Korean lady for a few years who made her own Kimchee. Her condo smelled like a morgue. I do "buy" it all the time though. I just bought a bag of Kimchee dumplings last weekend. Still probably my least favorite Asian cuisine.
    AllysonChains
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Korean Food 2008/03/07 13:50:29 (permalink)
    Best Korean meal for me is Bulgogi,Fried Mandu,Kimchi,and cold Spinach & Beans Sprouts.
    peanutluv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Korean Food 2008/03/07 14:20:05 (permalink)
    I found this great web site explaining alot of the dishes. http://www.lifeinkorea.com/Food/index.cfm
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1