Korean dish

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2005/08/26 20:52:12 (permalink)

Korean dish

I'm trying to remember the name of a Korean dish I had that I enjoyed. I remember that it has a sort of "crackling rice" with eggs and veggies, sort of like fried rice but crispy and you can I think make it in a hot pan right at your table. Does anyone know what I mean?
Thanks.

5 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3966
    RE: Korean dish 2005/08/27 14:01:41 (permalink)
    I think you're talking about dolsot bibimbap, which is sizzling veggies on rice. They have a whole list of bibimbap dishes-----there are places here in Los Angeles that specialize only in those types of dishes.
    tigerborn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Korean dish 2005/08/27 14:13:28 (permalink)
    If you want some tried and true Korean food that's a definite change from your standard bulgogi, check out this restaurant in Fort Lee called Gam Mi Ok. It serves authentic country-style Korean food such as dogani muchim (cow collagen spiced with red pepper and onion) and soo yuk (lean beef, tripe and cow collagen in a steaming broth). They serve the dishes with spiced green onions and kaktugi (spicy radish kimchi). It's very healthy because it's high protein and low fat. This is down-home country Korean cooking at its best. Also, try it with soju (Korean potato vodka).
    annabellee
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Korean dish 2005/12/02 18:54:50 (permalink)
    Mmmmmmm, Bibimba!! That stuff is so good!! I always get mine from Gyu Kaku, there's a chain of those in the LA Area. It's actually Japanese run but they're basically copying the Korean method of cooking the meat at the table. And their daikon kimchi is also out of this world!! I know of 3, one in W. LA (I think it's on Pico, right next to West Side Pavillion), one in Beverly Hills (on La Cienega right next to Fogo de Chao), and one in Torrance.

Annabel Lee
    jzwagar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Korean dish 2005/12/02 20:00:23 (permalink)
    NYNM,

While in Korea in the early 70s (compliments of the U.S. Army), I ate everything offered and enjoyed most of it. A fairly regular treat was a dish called Oma Rice. It was fried rice with lots of vegetables, scrambled egg, and a little meat (usually shrimp or pork). It was served on a china plate, covered with a skin-thin layer of egg and delivered to our "hooch" in an insulated box with a bottle of ketchup for 100 won (25 cents)! After dining, we simply put the dirty dishes on the front step where restaurant personnel returned to pick them up. When I returned to the states (at the ripe old age of 19), I craved Oma Rice enough to track down a Korean cookbook and began a lifetime of entertaining myself in the kitchen. Thanks for triggering a great batch of memories!

Jon
    John418
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Korean dish 2005/12/19 09:50:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jzwagar

NYNM,

While in Korea in the early 70s (compliments of the U.S. Army), I ate everything offered and enjoyed most of it. A fairly regular treat was a dish called Oma Rice. It was fried rice with lots of vegetables, scrambled egg, and a little meat (usually shrimp or pork). It was served on a china plate, covered with a skin-thin layer of egg and delivered to our "hooch" in an insulated box with a bottle of ketchup for 100 won (25 cents)! After dining, we simply put the dirty dishes on the front step where restaurant personnel returned to pick them up. When I returned to the states (at the ripe old age of 19), I craved Oma Rice enough to track down a Korean cookbook and began a lifetime of entertaining myself in the kitchen. Thanks for triggering a great batch of memories!

Jon

Hi Jon - Yeah, that stuff is good. Wow, 25 cents for that meal is a bargain! I think it is still farily cheap right now about $3-4. I think I will include this meal on my site. Thanks for the idea!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1