Kosher Beer for Passover

Author
mousec
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 303
  • Joined: 2003/05/15 06:09:00
  • Location: Algonquin, IL
  • Status: offline
2008/04/17 20:10:11 (permalink)

Kosher Beer for Passover

For those of us that want to wash down that piece of matzo with a beer.

[url][/url]http://www.jewishworldreview.com/kosher/passover_beer.php3
#1

11 Replies Related Threads

    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    • Joined: 2003/04/09 22:48:00
    • Location: Athens, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/17 23:28:16 (permalink)
    Mousec,
    Hey, I'm a Presbyterian, and that stuff sure sounds tasty to me!!
    I'd really like to see them resurrect those four ancient styles mentioned in the article, one by one. I'd try a bottle of each, if only I could obtain it!
    As a homebrewer (rather limited in scope), I've often wondered about the possibility of using matzo meal in lieu of standard barley malt in a beer. Gee, I can't help but wonder what it would taste like....
    Dementedly Fermentedly, Ort. Carlton in Pareve-For-The-Course Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. There is a community of ultra-observant Glat-Kosher-keeping Jews in Metro Atlanta... for sure they'd be interested in trying something like this....
    #2
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 838
    • Joined: 2004/07/17 10:18:00
    • Location: Fredericksburg, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/18 08:26:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

    Mousec,
    Hey, I'm a Presbyterian, and that stuff sure sounds tasty to me!!

    Presbyterians, the only religion that has a drink named after them. That always impressed me.
    #3
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    • Joined: 2003/04/09 22:48:00
    • Location: Athens, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/18 20:53:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kozel
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
    Presbyterians, the only religion that has a drink named after them. That always impressed me.


    Kozel,
    I've never even heard of this lib(er?)ation, much less enjoyed one. Can you tell me what's in it?
    Is it predestined to be tasty?!?!?!?!?
    Do I need to sit under a New Light to consume one?!?!?!?!
    Does it come in Northern and Southern versions?
    It's A Synod To Tell A Lie, Ort. Carlton in Manciful Athens, Georgia.
    #4
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 838
    • Joined: 2004/07/17 10:18:00
    • Location: Fredericksburg, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/19 09:35:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

    quote:
    Originally posted by kozel
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
    Presbyterians, the only religion that has a drink named after them. That always impressed me.


    Kozel,
    I've never even heard of this lib(er?)ation, much less enjoyed one. Can you tell me what's in it?
    Is it predestined to be tasty?!?!?!?!?
    Do I need to sit under a New Light to consume one?!?!?!?!
    Does it come in Northern and Southern versions?
    It's A Synod To Tell A Lie, Ort. Carlton in Manciful Athens, Georgia.

    Sorry, I don't know anything about its origin, but here's a recipe

    http://www.drinknation.com/drink/Presbyterian
    #5
    foobuc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    • Joined: 2006/12/27 20:41:00
    • Location: fanwood, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/19 10:31:23 (permalink)
    Is this the beer that is called He Brew? If not, i do recall seeing it out in the marketplace. It is Kosher but not sure about Kosher for Passover?
    #6
    Robearjr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1102
    • Joined: 2007/06/17 21:48:00
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/19 18:00:01 (permalink)
    I have a bottle of He-Brew that is used for decoration. While it is Kosher, it doesn't say kosher for passover.

    As I think about it, I don't know if any beer could be kosher for passover. Beer has yeast in it, and I think that would make unfit for passover.

    #7
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18646
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/19 18:20:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kozel

    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

    quote:
    Originally posted by kozel
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
    Presbyterians, the only religion that has a drink named after them. That always impressed me.


    Kozel,
    I've never even heard of this lib(er?)ation, much less enjoyed one. Can you tell me what's in it?
    Is it predestined to be tasty?!?!?!?!?
    Do I need to sit under a New Light to consume one?!?!?!?!
    Does it come in Northern and Southern versions?
    It's A Synod To Tell A Lie, Ort. Carlton in Manciful Athens, Georgia.

    Sorry, I don't know anything about its origin, but here's a recipe

    http://www.drinknation.com/drink/Presbyterian

    My mother used to drink Presbyterians, but they were always made with rye, not bourbon. Of course, my mother could never keep her religions straight, so she always ordered Protestants when she wanted a Presbyterian.
    #8
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    • Joined: 2003/05/19 13:23:00
    • Location: Trumbull, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/19 18:32:57 (permalink)
    My mom used to say that whenever you had four Episcopalians, you would always find a fifth
    #9
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 838
    • Joined: 2004/07/17 10:18:00
    • Location: Fredericksburg, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/20 09:12:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    quote:
    Originally posted by kozel

    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

    quote:
    Originally posted by kozel
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
    Presbyterians, the only religion that has a drink named after them. That always impressed me.


    Kozel,
    I've never even heard of this lib(er?)ation, much less enjoyed one. Can you tell me what's in it?
    Is it predestined to be tasty?!?!?!?!?
    Do I need to sit under a New Light to consume one?!?!?!?!
    Does it come in Northern and Southern versions?
    It's A Synod To Tell A Lie, Ort. Carlton in Manciful Athens, Georgia.

    Sorry, I don't know anything about its origin, but here's a recipe

    http://www.drinknation.com/drink/Presbyterian

    My mother used to drink Presbyterians, but they were always made with rye, not bourbon. Of course, my mother could never keep her religions straight, so she always ordered Protestants when she wanted a Presbyterian.

    And the Esquire site has it made with Scotch, go figure.
    #10
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    • Joined: 2006/09/08 17:04:00
    • Location: Dallas, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/20 09:27:36 (permalink)
    probably off topic- but yesterday I ran across a large selection of Italian wines that were marked Kosher for Passover and they were not the typical Passover wines that we all think of when we think of Passover wines. As a kid growing up, I remember the heavy, very sweet grape wines from Manechevitz as being Passover wines. These I happened on yesterday, were certainly not that type of wine. So why not a Kosher beer? The lack of levening refers to bread- not to fermented beverages.
    #11
    Robearjr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1102
    • Joined: 2007/06/17 21:48:00
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Kosher Beer for Passover 2008/04/20 12:10:13 (permalink)
    I've actually heard two reasons why beer can't be kosher for passover.

    First, is the yeast argument. The second is that beer is made from barley, and that barley, along with rye, corn, oats and some other grains are forbidden during passover. So, just how Coke for passover must be made with sugar and not corn syrup, a passover beer could not be made with barley. Now, I guess under this argument a wheat beer could be kosher for open a passover, but I'm not sure if wheat beers are all wheat.

    As for the wines, I've also seen two arguments. First, again is the yeast used. The second is that a Passover wine must be heated or pasturized.

    Now, I don't claim to be an expert on any of this, but i'm not surprised by the fact that there are disagreements on the criteria. When you go through a passover seder you will see quite a few passages that deal with how one rabbie makes one interpretation and how another rabbi makes another interpretation.
    #12
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1