Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Kosher Food...?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 1:59 PM (permalink)
fabulousoyster

www.askmoses.com

Your search - Is fabulousoyster kidding? - did not match any documents.
No pages were found containing "Is fabulousoyster kidding?".

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
    Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 4:07 PM (permalink)
    Big Ugly Mich

In the slaughterhouse I toured, they slit the cow's throat and let it bleed to death on the floor. Cruelty to animals is my problem, even though I have no problem killing for meat or other uses.

To quote an underutilized source on this site...one Archie Bunker....

Would you prefer if they was pushed outta windows?

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
      Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 4:18 PM (permalink)
      The Travelin Man

Big Ugly Mich

In the slaughterhouse I toured, they slit the cow's throat and let it bleed to death on the floor. Cruelty to animals is my problem, even though I have no problem killing for meat or other uses.

To quote an underutilized source on this site...one Archie Bunker....

Would you prefer if they was pushed outta windows?

Michael_Germany

• Total Posts: 505
        Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 4:35 PM (permalink)
        Greetings, Roadfooders!

Thank you all for the infos and links, some of the jewish/kosher recipes look very tasty...

Kind regards

Michael

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
          Re:Kosher Food...? Sat, 08/15/09 2:30 PM (permalink)
          Big Ugly Mich
          Michael_Germany
          The animals are killed by hand, observed by a muslim priest. What is wrong about this, and what is wrong about the jewish butchery...?

Actually, in kosher slaughter, death is almost instantaneous. If the animal is not dead within about 2 seconds, the meat is not kosher. The shoket (trained butcher) must use a sharp knife, with no nicks (a single nick renders the animal non-kosher), and with a single swipe, must cut through the entire carotid artery and AT LEAST half the windpipe (they usually go for the whole windpipe). The idea is to minimize suffering while maximizing blood drainage, which largely takes place after death.

While virtually all parts of the animal are kosher, there are certain parts, notably a vein that goes through the leg and is extraordinarily difficult to remove entirely, that are not, which is why most kosher butchers don't bother, and just sell the meat from the parts that contain the vein to non-Jews. The prohibition against mixing dairy products and meat, while theoretically just applying to mammals, is applied to poultry for the purpose of playing it safe. Out of commonly eaten meats, pretty much all farm-raised poultry is fine, as is meat from cows, sheep, and, if farm raised, bison and venison. Meat from pigs is explicitly forbidden. Fish need to have scales AND fins, but do not have to be slaughtered in the way other animals need to be.

Pretty much any sign of disease renders an animal non-kosher.

Note that in Judaism, there are strong prohibitions against unnecessary cruelty to animals.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
            Re:Kosher Food...? Sat, 08/15/09 2:36 PM (permalink)
            bartl

Big Ugly Mich
            Michael_Germany
            The animals are killed by hand, observed by a muslim priest. What is wrong about this, and what is wrong about the jewish butchery...?

Actually, in kosher slaughter, death is almost instantaneous. If the animal is not dead within about 2 seconds, the meat is not kosher. The shoket (trained butcher) must use a sharp knife, with no nicks (a single nick renders the animal non-kosher), and with a single swipe, must cut through the entire carotid artery and AT LEAST half the windpipe (they usually go for the whole windpipe). The idea is to minimize suffering while maximizing blood drainage, which largely takes place after death.

While virtually all parts of the animal are kosher, there are certain parts, notably a vein that goes through the leg and is extraordinarily difficult to remove entirely, that are not, which is why most kosher butchers don't bother, and just sell the meat from the parts that contain the vein to non-Jews. The prohibition against mixing dairy products and meat, while theoretically just applying to mammals, is applied to poultry for the purpose of playing it safe. Out of commonly eaten meats, pretty much all farm-raised poultry is fine, as is meat from cows, sheep, and, if farm raised, bison and venison. Meat from pigs is explicitly forbidden. Fish need to have scales AND fins, but do not have to be slaughtered in the way other animals need to be.

Note that in Judaism, there are strong prohibitions against unnecessary cruelty to animals.

Thank you.
            This was the clearest explanation of the process I have read.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
              Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/18/09 2:43 PM (permalink)

abby5874

• Total Posts: 1
                Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 09/7/10 5:00 PM (permalink)
                bartl

Big Ugly Mich
                Michael_Germany

Thanks for sharing, its been so long since this question bubbling in mind. Now I know how their meat in kosher new York being prepare.

<message edited by abby5874 on Fri, 09/10/10 5:18 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com