Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Kosher Food...?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38
Michael_Germany

• Total Posts: 505
Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 7:13 PM (permalink)
Greetings, Forum!

Here, in Germany, there are small chances, to taste "kasher" food. What is so very special about this food...?

Here, in the city of Oldenburg, there was kasher restaurant years ago, closed. No to many guests, the restaurant was closed.

What is so very special about these jewish meals, please let me know...?

Michael

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
    Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 7:27 PM (permalink)
    They are blessed by God.

Otherwise they taste the same.

charlottesailor

• Total Posts: 43
      Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 7:31 PM (permalink)
      To begin with all Kosher meat must be slaughter in a specific way. Only  certain cuts of beef are permitted generally the fore quarters of the cow.  Pork is not permitted at all.  Blood is not permitted so kosher meat is salted for a certain amount of time and then rinsed.  Milk and meat can not be prepared or consumed together, observant Jews use two sets of dishes and cook ware one for milk products and one for meat products.  These are just a few of the many rules.

Now Kosher style is a whole different thing.  That's foods that were traditionally eaten but in a kosher style restaurant are not prepared following all the rules.  Foods like chopped liver, gefilte fish, brisket, knishes can be kosher or just kosher style.

Michael_Germany

Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 7:44 PM (permalink)
        Thanks, Charlotte!

So, innards, except from a pork are always welcome...?

I am asking this, because I like to cook, but I never had the chance to cook jewish, and In would love to do so...

Michael

charlottesailor

Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 7:58 PM (permalink)
          I think most "innards" are.  I know liver is ok, heart is ok,  sweatbreads are ok, off hand I can't think of any organ meats that are not but there maybe some I don't know of. 

You might be surprised to find as you are in Germany that you are already familiar with a lot of the foods as most are derived from European foods.  Things like pickled herring etc.  sometimes the preperation is different because of "the rules" and no pork  

Michael_Germany

Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 8:10 PM (permalink)
            Moin, Charlotte!

Thanks so very much, I loved "Saure Nieren auf Reis", my fav. dish in the 1960s. The jewish stuff is absolutely new to me, I will love, to prepare it...

Kalbsleber mit gebratenen Zwiebeln, + Kartoffelpüree, heaven on earth, innards...

Michael

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
              Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 9:12 PM (permalink)
              Kosher meat is, terrible. Because the animal is drained of blood, the meat is dry and without flavor.
              Poultry on the other hand is, terrific. Because the the birds are brined, the meat is juicy and flavorful.
              I always make it a point of getting a Kosher turkey for Thanksgiving.
              Cakes and most pastries are made with Crisco rather than butter. So, most cakes use nothing but Crisco for frosting. Not, butter. I don't have to explain to you what a mouthful of Crisco must feel like in your mouth.

Michael_Germany

Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 9:35 PM (permalink)
                A cousin of mine, owner of a very big butchery, butchers for many years for muslim customers, perfect meat, very costly meat, a delicacy.

The animals are killed by hand, observed by a muslim priest. What is wrong about this, and what is wrong about the jewish butchery...?

What is your problem?

Michael

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                  Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 10:17 PM (permalink)
                  Michael_Germany

Moin, Charlotte!

Thanks so very much, I loved "Saure Nieren auf Reis", my fav. dish in the 1960s. The jewish stuff is absolutely new to me, I will love, to prepare it...

Kalbsleber mit gebratenen Zwiebeln, + Kartoffelpüree, heaven on earth, innards...

Michael

OK. I can't help it. I have to say it. Kosher food is not Jewish food. Jewish food can be Kosher, but it's not the other way around. If it were, then Italian Jews would not be eating Italian food and American Jews would not be eating American food. German Jews would not be eating German food and Ethiopean Jews would not be eating Ethiopian food.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 10:22 PM (permalink)
                    Michael_Germany

A cousin of mine, owner of a very big butchery, butchers for many years for muslim customers, perfect meat, very costly meat, a delicacy.

The animals are killed by hand, observed by a muslim priest. What is wrong about this, and what is wrong about the jewish butchery...?

What is your problem?

Michael

He does not have a problem. There is no such thing as Jewish butchery. Ritual slaughter for Kosher meat requires nothing more than supervision of a rabbi. Just as Halal slaughter -- not Muslim slaughter -- requires nothing more than supervision of a Muslim cleric. It is after the slaughter that the Halal process and the Kosher process actually begin. The method of slaughtrer is virtually the same for both kosher and halal.

<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Tue, 08/11/09 10:23 PM>

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                      Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 10:54 PM (permalink)
                      If you google "kosher cooking", you will find many recipes for kosher food. If you google "Kosher Meat Slaughter" you will find many articles about this ritual.

Here is the NYC area, many persons who are not Jewish eat this style of food because of local tradition.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                        Re:Kosher Food...? Tue, 08/11/09 11:56 PM (permalink)
                        http://video.about.com/kosherfood/How-to-Make-Kosher-Bagels.htm

How to Make Kosher Bagels

with Rachel Edelman

This seems pretty simple!

mar52

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 12:11 AM (permalink)
                          Fish have to have scales.  No catfish for dinner.

I forget what it is, but there is something with the hooves.  Cows yes, horsies no.

There is Kosher and there is Kosher for Passover.

I'm a Jew Light.  Don't know much of anything.

Why are pickles Kosher?

New Kosher food can be delicious.  My Bubbie's Kosher food was not.

Twinwillow

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 12:23 AM (permalink)
                            mar52

Fish have to have scales.  No catfish for dinner.

I forget what it is, but there is something with the hooves.  Cows yes, horsies no.

There is Kosher and there is Kosher for Passover.

I'm a Jew Light.  Don't know much of anything.

Why are pickles Kosher?

New Kosher food can be delicious.  My Bubbie's Kosher food was not.

About the hooves. I believe it's no animals with split hooves. or, maybe only animals with split hooves.
                            No shellfish either. 
                            I'm a non-practicing Jew. Grew up eating everything. Including milk with every meal. No matter what was served. Never went to Temple and, I never had a Bar-Mitzvah! I did have a bris when I was 3 days old. But, I'm proud to be Jewish. And, happy to be non-practicing.
                            <message edited by Twinwillow on Wed, 08/12/09 12:25 AM>

mar52

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 12:40 AM (permalink)
                              I understand you, Twinwillow completely!

I also call myself a Holiday Jew.  I live for the food!

Never went to Temple, never a Bat Mitzvah and I certainly can't read Hebrew.

My brother is all the things I'm not.

charlottesailor

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 7:01 AM (permalink)
                                The animal must chew it's  cud and have a cloven hoof (split hoof), that's why cows are ok but not horses.  Fish must have scales and swim so no shellfish or catfish, I won't even address the debate over sturgeon (has scales when its young but looses them when they get older.  A;; birds are ok except birds of prey. 

I have to agree with Michael, kosher food is food prepared pursuant to biblical laws and it is not any specific kind of food.  However Kosher Style has the connotation at least here in the US as foods that  Eastern European Jewish immigrants ate or adopted in the countries in which they lived.  Things like gefilite fish, potato kugel (pudding), lokshun kugel (noodle pudding), things that jews descended from non-european countries would have no idea about.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 10:08 AM (permalink)
                                  FYI: Salt water fish such as mackerel, whiting, shark, swordfish, and some cod, have no scales.

IansMom

• Total Posts: 394
                                    Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                    Kosher foods are those that conform to the rules of Jewish religion. These rules form the main aspect of kashrut, Jewish dietary laws.
                                    Reasons for food being non-kosher include the presence of ingredients derived from non-kosher animals or from kosher animals that were not properly slaughtered, a mixture of meat and milk, wine or grape juice (or their derivatives) produced without supervision, the use of produce from Israel that has not been tithed, or even the use of cooking utensils and machinery which had previously been used for non-kosher food.

In Judaism most of the laws of Kashrut pertain to animals. The Torah explicitly states which animals are permitted or forbidden. In regard to birds, the Torah provides no general rule, and instead the Deuteronomic Code and Priestly Code explicitly list the prohibited birds, using names that have uncertain translations; the list seems to mainly consist of birds of prey, fish-eating water-birds, and the bat.
                                    By contrast, for water creatures, Leviticus and Deuteronomy both give the general rule that anything residing in the waters (which Leviticus specifies as being the seas and rivers) is ritually clean if it has both fins and scales, in contrast to anything residing in the waters with neither fins nor scales, which Leviticus calls filthy (Hebrew: sheqets). All flying creeping things were also to be considered ritually unclean, according to both Leviticus and Deuteronomy, but unlike Deuteronomy, Leviticus identifies four exceptions; the exceptions are of uncertain translation, but are clearly locusts and similar creatures, and there is a tradition upheld by Jews from Yemen about which animals constitute the kosher locusts.
                                    With regard to land beasts (Hebrew:Behemoth), Deuteronomy and Leviticus both state that anything which chews the cud and has a cloven hoof would be ritually clean, but those animals which only chew the cud or only have cloven hooves would be unclean. The texts identify four animals in particular as being unclean for this reason - the hare, hyrax, camel, and pig — although the camel both ruminates and has two toes, while the hare and hyrax are coprophages rather than ruminants; the latter issues have been discussed by many, including the recent book on the subject by Rabbi Natan Slifkin Leviticus, but not Deuteronomy, also states that every creeping thing which creeps upon the earth should be considered filthy.

Since the Bible prohibits eating meat from animals dying from natural causes, and all animals killed by beasts, traditional Jewish thought has expressed the view that all meat must come from animals which have been slaughtered according to Jewish law. These strict guidelines require that the animal is killed by a single cut across the throat to a precise depth, severing both carotid arteries, both jugular veins, both vagus nerves, the trachea and the esophagus, no higher than the epiglottis and no lower than where cilia begin inside the trachea, causing the animal to bleed to death. Orthodox Jews argue that this ensures the animal dies instantly without unnecessary suffering, but many animal rights activists view the process as cruel, arguing that the animal may not lose consciousness immediately, and activists have called for it to be banned.[60][61]
                                    To avoid tearing, and to ensure the cut is thorough, such slaughter is usually performed by a trained individual, with a large razor-sharp knife, which is checked before each killing to ensure that it has no irregularities (such as nicks and dents); if irregularities are discovered, or the cut is too shallow, the meat is deemed not kosher, and is sold to the non-Jewish public. Rabbis usually require the slaughterer, known within Judaism as a shochet, to also be a pious Jew of good character, who observes the Shabbat, and believes that the slaughter victims are sacrificing their lives for the good of the slaughterer and their community. In smaller communities the shochet was often the town rabbi, or a rabbi from a local synagogue, but large slaughterhouses usually employ a full-time shochet if they intend to sell kosher meat.
                                    During Passover, there are additional food restrictions in Orthodox Judaism; in this branch of Judaism, leavened products are prohibited during the festival. Jews who are concerned about accidentally consuming leavened food, during passover, typically maintain an entirely separate set of crockery and cutlery for Passover; it is also common for those concerned about such things to rigorously clean their homes, to ensure that even the tiniest of remains of leavened products are removed. Some Jews even have a separate kitchen exclusively for use during Passover.
                                    Products made from the traditional five species of grain, which might have been inadvertently moistened after harvest, and thus begun to ferment (an aspect of the leavening process), are regarded by Orthodox Jews as prohibited during Passover; the five species are conventionally viewed to be wheat, rye, barley, spelt and oats, although the latter two may actually refer to emmer (sometimes confused with spelt, which did not historically grow in the Middle East) and two-rowed barley.[citation needed]
                                    Among the Ashkenazi Jews there is an additional customary practice of avoiding the consumption of kitniyot (literally meaning little things) during Passover; the list of items regarded as kitniyot varies between communities, and can include things such as rice, legumes (including peas, peanuts, and beans), and corn. Due to the prevalence of corn syrup in certain well-known processed foods, such as Coca-Cola, many items common in western countries are regarded as impermissible by Ashkenazic Jews during Passover. [For Passover consumption, some companies produce products similar to their standard versions but with Kosher-for-Passover ingredients. Coca-Cola, for example, produces and distributes kosher for Passover Coke, made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, in the U.S. during Passover since Rabbi Tobias Geffen certified Coca-Cola as kosher

Twinwillow

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                      Well, that should pretty much answer ALL your questions. Thank you, IansMom.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 10:49 AM (permalink)
                                        Twinwillow

Well, that should pretty much answer ALL your questions. Thank you, IansMom.

Except, it's from Wikipedia, which means all of it may be correct, some of it may be correct, or none of it may be correct.

IansMom

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 11:01 AM (permalink)
                                          Michael, it's correct, I looked it over.. as a quasi ortho-conservitive Jew I know my kosher vs not kosher... is this link better?

http://www.chabad.org/generic_cdo/aid/113424/jewish/Kosher.htm

IansMom

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                            And you're welcome Twinwillow

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                              Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                              IansMom

Michael, it's correct, I looked it over.. as a quasi ortho-conservitive Jew I know my kosher vs not kosher... is this link better?

As half Polish Jew on my mother's side, and half Roman Catholic Italian on my dad's side, I also vouch for the piece.

BTW our favorite bagel place in Cincinnati is owned and operated by Roman Catholics and run a Kosher kitchen:
                                              http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/362004/restaurant/Blue-Ash/Marx-Hot-Bagels-Cincinnati

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Wed, 08/12/09 11:24 AM>

IansMom

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 11:20 AM (permalink)
                                                LOL NY... my grandfather on my father's side divorced my grandmother and married a Sicilian.. and I love the bagel place, I'll have to go there the next time I'm in Cinci... not too far from me.

IansMom

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 11:27 AM (permalink)

Michael Hoffman

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                                    IansMom

Oh, I wasn't questioning it. I was just pointing out the Wikipedia problem.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                                      Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 12:49 PM (permalink)
                                                      Michael_Germany
                                                      In the slaughterhouse I toured, they slit the cow's throat and let it bleed to death on the floor. Cruelty to animals is my problem, even though I have no problem killing for meat or other uses.

Twinwillow

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 1:05 PM (permalink)
                                                        The bleeding to death is my problem. Not only is it cruel, but the loss of all blood renders the meat dry and tasteless. Not too long ago I went to a cousins (Kosher) wedding. These people are very wealthy and no amount of money was spared to insure the best of everything.
                                                        The meat served was, (beautiful looking) filet mignon. None of my (non Kosher) cousins in including myself and my gentile wife could eat it. Nor could we eat the (beautiful) fancy desserts. All the cakes were frosted with a Crisco like product and just stuck to the roof of our mouths. Yuk! We all went to a local diner for cheeseburgers after the wedding.

Twinwillow

Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 1:08 PM (permalink)
                                                          Sorry, I didn't mean to allow the bold type for all that was written.
                                                          I only meant "my problem" to be bold italics. 
                                                          <message edited by Twinwillow on Wed, 08/12/09 1:09 PM>

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                                            • Joined: 11/17/2005
                                                            • Location: new york, NY
                                                            Re:Kosher Food...? Wed, 08/12/09 1:36 PM (permalink)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com