Kowloons "Wor Hip Har" Help!!!

Author
Frenchie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/03/18 09:17:42 (permalink)

Kowloons "Wor Hip Har" Help!!!

Help I'am a Bostonian trapped in Virginia, I've Hunted and hunted for this recipe with no results, used to have a local restaurant that served it, they went the way of the buffet, Butterfly Shrimp wrapped in bacon, over onions topped with a spicy tangy tomatoe Brown sauce, I've emailed Kowloons with no answer, I guess you have to speak thier language, any help will be greatly appreciated as I only get home to the Boston area once in awhile and love this dish
Thanks

7 Replies Related Threads

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Kowloons "Wor Hip Har" Help!!! 2006/03/19 09:54:58 (permalink)
    Bacon wrapped shrimp, easy enough. carmelized onions, easy enough. Together?? Never even thought of it but does sound tasty. Brown tomatoe sauce??
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Kowloons "Wor Hip Har" Help!!! 2006/03/19 10:13:34 (permalink)
    I did a rather complex search yesterday for the recipe in most search engines, including MetaCrawler; could not find any recipes for same.
    Frenchie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Kowloons "Wor Hip Har" Help!!! 2006/03/20 07:49:41 (permalink)
    The Brown sauce is a spicy tangy tomato based sauce. it's delicious, I've seen it on many restaurants chinese menu's when researching the net, but we don't have any in my area that offers it. used to have one but it was sold and became a buffet style.
    If anyone knows a chinese chef, maybe they can get me the recipe, I've tried emailing Kowloons in Boston, even wrote a letter to Boston Hearlds Dining Out editor, but have yet gotten a response.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Kowloons "Wor Hip Har" Help!!! 2006/03/20 08:30:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Frenchie

The Brown sauce is a spicy tangy tomato based sauce. it's delicious, I've seen it on many restaurants chinese menu's when researching the net, but we don't have any in my area that offers it. used to have one but it was sold and became a buffet style.
    If anyone knows a chinese chef, maybe they can get me the recipe, I've tried emailing Kowloons in Boston, even wrote a letter to Boston Hearlds Dining Out editor, but have yet gotten a response.
    Try the Phantom Gormet the Andleman family are good friends of the Lee's. They might be able to help out. Chow Jim
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Kowloons "Wor Hip Har" Help!!! 2006/04/12 02:26:50 (permalink)
    CHINESE BROWN SAUCE

2 tsp. cooking oil
    2 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    2 tbsp. sugar
    1 tsp. white pepper
    5 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tbsp. ketchup
    2 tsp. garlic powder
    2 tsp. ginger
    1 1/2 tbsp. cooking wine
    3 tbsp. water

Put oil in saucepan and heat, then add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer 3 minutes. Stir fry chicken and vegetables of your choice. Add brown sauce and heat through.

It doesn't have a large amount of tomato anything in it but was as close as I could find. It is not like the brown sauce served on Beef with Broccoli though. That has oyster sauce in it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: Kowloons "Wor Hip Har" Help!!! 2006/04/12 14:52:39 (permalink)
    Wor Hip Har was a standard item on the menu at a place called the Golden Crown in Port Clinton, Ohio. Unfortunately, they tore the place down a couple of years ago to build condominiums. I've never seen the dish anywhere else.
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Kowloons "Wor Hip Har" Help!!! 2006/04/13 14:49:17 (permalink)
    Bham Babe may be on the right track. Here's the description of item #152 ($15.95) on the Kowloon's online menu.

Wor Hip Har - Jumbo Shrimp Wrapped with Bacon and Pan-fried in Tangy Ketchup Sauce
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1