Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
i_crave_mountain_dew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2005/12/14 10:41:48 (permalink)

Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts

Personally im a Krispy kreme fan mainly because of the fillings and the free hot fresh donuts they give you upon entry! Does anybody know any killer munchposts around the U.S???

74 Replies Related Threads

tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2018
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 12:40:57 (permalink)
    I like the KKs better, but I don't buy enough donuts for it to matter. I am not a coffee drinker, but I buy a lot for my wife, and she thinks that DD is the best by far. When I do buy donuts, it is usually at DD because I am there for the coffee anyway. I need to drive a good distance to get to a KK,,,,,,,,,the local shipped in KKs are horrid. If I am in the mood for a drive, and crave donuts, I generally go to Butler's in Westport Mass. There are several threads about Butler's Donuts on this site. BTW, I crave Mountain Dew too, but had to give it up.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7919
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 12:49:25 (permalink)
    Basically, they both suck.
    i_crave_mountain_dew
    Junior Burger
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 12:55:00 (permalink)
    what!!!!! HERECY!!!! kill the non-believer!

where do u eat ur donuts!?!
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 12:58:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Basically, they both suck.

Please, Tell us what You really think, don't hold back!!!!!!!!!!!
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 12:59:08 (permalink)
    If you like KK, enjoy them while they're around. Their stock has been in freefall for ages. DD, on the other hand, was just sold for $2.4 billion. The DD joints are springing up like sugary crocuses, all over the place.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:06:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i_crave_mountain_dew

what!!!!! HERECY!!!! kill the non-believer!

where do u eat ur donuts!?!

www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=62

garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:08:21 (permalink)
    quote:

Personally im a Krispy kreme fan mainly because of the fillings and the free hot fresh donuts they give you upon entry! Does anybody know any killer munchposts around the U.S???

Yes, I do! Sweetwater's of Kalamaoo and Battle Creek Michigan.

I just made Topic about Sweetwater's on "other Desserts"
    TFitz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:25:53 (permalink)
    I agree with wanderingjew. In Baltimore there are still a few "old school" bakeries left. My favorite is Fenwick, a German bakery. As with all things roadfood I would prefer to give my money to a person not a corporation.
    i_crave_mountain_dew
    Junior Burger
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:33:15 (permalink)
    oohh theres no doubt that old skool small owner run donut joints are usually a hell of a lot better! i think that krispy kremes are far superior to dunkin donuts, hw cum the stocks falling so much?
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:44:42 (permalink)
    If I had to pick between the corporates, Krispy Kreme would be the winner. If I had to pick a mom and pop joint, Marges Donut Den in Wyoming (MI) is my choice. Unfortunatly, Krispy Kreme is only about a 3 or 4 mile drive, where Marges is a 12 or 15 mile drive... :(

renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:46:10 (permalink)
    they are doing poorly because they got greedy. too much expansion, too fast. They saw outsourcing their product into supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations, etc as a way to get more money. I and a lot of others saw it as degrading their product.

They stuck to donuts which is nice to see. They did not go the DD route of making donuts a peripheral part of their business. But they forgot to keep the donuts something special. They made their product common, and forced it on the populace.

So many people's first taste of a KK now is not freshly baked, but has been sitting around for hours in a gas station. Not the way to enjoy a KK. If that was my experience, I would not get a second one either.

In short, KK did not protect their brand better. They forgot what made them special and are in the process of ruining themselves.
    i_crave_mountain_dew
    Junior Burger
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:46:40 (permalink)
    for me its the oter way round i have quite a few small fantastic little donut joints nearby but when getthe KK craving i have to drive for about two or three hours!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:47:23 (permalink)
    Oh, my preference for donuts are Butlers in Westport, MA.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:51:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scallion1

If you like KK, enjoy them while they're around. Their stock has been in freefall for ages. DD, on the other hand, was just sold for $2.4 billion. The DD joints are springing up like sugary crocuses, all over the place.

I got the following off from the Dount Donuts website.

Dunkin' Donuts is not a publicly traded company, rather it is a wholly owned subsidiary. The parent company of Dunkin' Donuts Incorporated is Allied Domecq and their stock (ALLD) is traded on the London Stock Exchange.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1099
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 14:24:41 (permalink)
    Shouldn't this thread be in the fast food forum and not taking up valuable space where we can debate whether or not to toast a pop tart?
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 14:33:00 (permalink)
    quote:

for me its the oter way round i have quite a few small fantastic little donut joints nearby but when getthe KK craving i have to drive for about two or three hours!

if ur reely in the Tampa area, wy do ti take u solonf to git to a kk? or due u just driv slooow?

http://www.local.com/results.aspx?keyword=krispy+kreme&location=tampa%2C+fl&Submit.x=46&Submit.y=9
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 14:48:38 (permalink)
    I agree with renfrew. After years of no KK in my area, we got two, one in each of two major towns outside of Rochester. After about two years, they closed the location in Greece, due to their not needing that excess manufacturing capacity. They siad they can supply all the locations who sell their donuts from the Henrietta store and the Greece store (the one near me) didn't have enought foot/car traffic.

I love the KK glazed donuts when they are fresh, and have trouble inhaling anything less than four at a sitting. Yes, they are so light, it seems like I inhale rather than swallow them. Once they have been sitting on the shelf for a while, they're not that great. Also, I never cared for KK's other donuts. For regular donuts, I prefer DD or Tim Hortons.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 15:15:37 (permalink)
    Best I ever had...Allie's in N.Kingstown Rhode Island. We get KK's at work...and they're quite tasty "hot". My favorites are the sprinkled and filled with the sweet (non-Boston) cream.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 16:02:38 (permalink)
    Dunkin Donuts makes a better doughnut. Maybe not a better glazed, but erverything else is better at Dunkin' Donut, beginning with the coffee and continuing with the apple fritters, blueberry, chocolate, headlights, eclairs, boston creams, etc etc.

KK is a gimick that has taken on by storm. but as they continue selling the crap in grocers and gas stations, people will start associating them with crappy donuts.

I lived in the Piedmont Triad, and I'm happy for the Winton-Salem company, but IMO, Dunkin Donuts are better all around.

But all these bakeries make better donuts (all in Syracuse, NY - and I'm not even mentioning DC and Balto Bakeries): Harrison's, Glory Bee, Community Bakery, Patrician Snowflake, Geddes Bakery, Wegman's, and Bella Bakery.

So, I'm not putting Dunkin' Donuts on a huge pedestal either, but the KK donut becomes a piece of lead in my stomach.

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 16:52:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

Oh, my preference for donuts are Butlers in Westport, MA.

Once you have been to Butler's, all others pale in comparison!!

I don't get to Butler's often, but I don't bother with other donuts between my visits...it just isn't worth it.

My kingdom for a Long John!!! (wish I had a kingdom!)
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 16:58:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

quote:

Dunkin' Donuts is not a publicly traded company, rather it is a wholly owned subsidiary. The parent company of Dunkin' Donuts Incorporated is Allied Domecq and their stock (ALLD) is traded on the London Stock Exchange.

I never said DD was a publicly traded company.

It's a subsidiary of Allied Domecq, which, in turn, was bought by Pernod Ricard. The new owners are private equity groups.

If you're interested, here's the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/13/business/13doughnuts.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1134597456-aeM8nOFYiIAYb++6nRFsfw
    prius
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 17:11:16 (permalink)
    You cannot beat a fresh KKD...how could anyone believe these soft pillows of light dough melting on your tastebuds could "suck"?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 21:26:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

Shouldn't this thread be in the fast food forum and not taking up valuable space where we can debate whether or not to toast a pop tart?

lmao!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 21:29:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by prius

You cannot beat a fresh KKD...how could anyone believe these soft pillows of light dough melting on your tastebuds could "suck"?

i know they are dear to many but as for---sorry--just too darn sweet! I must admit to being partial to real oldfashioned Yankee apple cider cake donuts!!----w/ NO topping or glaze at all!
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 21:45:34 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

quote:

I never said DD was a publicly traded company.

It's a subsidiary of Allied Domecq, which, in turn, was bought by Pernod Ricard. The new owners are private equity groups.

If you're interested, here's the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/13/business/13doughnuts.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1134597456-aeM8nOFYiIAYb++6nRFsfw

Your first post was very, very misleading, you first mention K.K.'s stock price falling, then you mentioned that K.K.'s stock has been falling for years....I agree with all You said is true...

Then You mention Dunkin Doughnuts was recently sold for 2.4 billions, I asummed You meant their Stock, because You were talking about K'K's stock. That's why I thought You meant Donut Donut's stock.

Now help me here, Was Dunkin Donuts sold for 2.4 billion or was Dunkin Donuts Parent Company sold for 2.4 billion?

Also the majority of Allied Domecq Assets and Profits are from the 15 or 20 different Liqours they own and not Dunkin Donuts?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 21:55:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by prius

The donuts produced by this corporate cookie cutter CHAIN tastes like boiled granulated sugar. There is a local chain here in Southern New England called honey dew donuts. They put out a half decent product. As I said before, I would rather have a three day old Honey Dew Donut than the globs of wet sugar from Krispy Kreme
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 23:07:32 (permalink)
    I have to agree with wanderingjew here. I have never understood the fascination for Krispy Kremes. And yes, I have tasted them fresh out of the "oven." Wanderingjew's description of them being "globs of wet sugar" hit the mark precisely for me. After eating one bite of these sugar bombs, I always feel as if I need an emergency injection of insulin, and I am not a diabetic. I also cannot discern any other flavoring than pure sugar in their product...and this is regardless of the kind of doughnut I eat there.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 00:29:19 (permalink)
    quote:

LOL
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 01:02:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

quote:

LOL

Fast food is Gourmet compared to Pop Tarts!!!" />" />
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1