Krispy Kreme woes continues

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2042
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/12/17 09:08:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wistah

I don't see how "growing too fast" could really be the problem....Dunkin Donuts has more stores here in eastern MA than KK has in the whole country. DD has the area saturated but they continue to open more stores and they all do well.

DD is a coffee store. Recent figures show baked goods at less than 25% of sales. I am a non coffee drinker, but I am a regular buyer of DD coffee for my beloved wife, the coffee expert. In her opinion DD coffeee is the best followed by Starbucks and Honey Dew. She has not had KK coffee recently, but she rejects it. When I go to KK for donuts, I stop at DD on the way home for her coffee.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/12/18 11:16:33 (permalink)
Dunkin Donuts has closed all but one outlet in the Portland, Oregon area. I thought their coffee was quite good but it did lack gourmet cachet and that was probably fatal in this market, Good express0o is available all over the place as are very good and politiclly correct roasts. I don't know but I suspect Dunkin Donuts is popular in the working class area of New England where gourmet coffees have not proven real popular
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 220
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/12/19 16:11:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

Dunkin Donuts has closed all but one outlet in the Portland, Oregon area. I thought their coffee was quite good but it did lack gourmet cachet and that was probably fatal in this market, Good express0o is available all over the place as are very good and politiclly correct roasts. I don't know but I suspect Dunkin Donuts is popular in the working class area of New England where gourmet coffees have not proven real popular

Actually DD is quite popular all over NE and they even seem to have the most saturation in areas where there are Starbucks and indie coffee houses. My neighboring small city for example has five DD's, two Starbucks, and a couple of independents, soon to add a large Honey Dew outlet which is similar to DD. I believe that they could (and will) add even more DD's there as time goes by.

TMiles hit the nail on the head, DD could care less about the donut side of the business, although I never knew that it was that low at 25%. I guess they are really in the "Caffeine" business.....really helps the business plan when you have an addicitve product!!!
joanie41
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/12/19 16:27:52 (permalink)
KK opened a free-standing store here in Columbia to great fanfare awhile back. I went in recently to have a donut and do a little studying. Not only was the service horrible (how difficult is it to give me two donuts on a plate?!) but the clerk was downright surly. With that kind of attitude, they won't last long in a place like this, where there is every chain under the sun, and where poor service is rewarded by customer alienation. Although I hate the congestion in this area, there is such a plethora of choices that there is no reason to go someplace where the service is poor.

I do like KK donuts, but I doubt I'll go back anytime soon.
mwmiller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/12/20 04:04:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles
DD is a coffee store. Recent figures show baked goods at less than 25% of sales. I am a non coffee drinker, but I am a regular buyer of DD coffee for my beloved wife, the coffee expert. In her opinion DD coffeee is the best followed by Starbucks and Honey Dew. She has not had KK coffee recently, but she rejects it. When I go to KK for donuts, I stop at DD on the way home for her coffee.

Indeed, that seems to be verified by their Web site ( http://www.dunkindonuts.com/ ), whose title (as of right now) is "Dunkin' Donuts Coffee | Buy Coffee Beans Online" (my emphasis). Heh. No wonder I haven't seen the commercials with the doughnut-pilfering cook in a long while.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/12/30 23:37:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

I see where KK has suffered another big loss this quarter----i know some of you folks have stock--hope this doesnt hurt too much---big plunge in profits and stocks down 17% this am. Seems that Dr Atkins may be dead,but he's still beating up bakers and donut shops!---then of course--a management team that thinks they have the Midas touch,combined with a "grow-grow grow!!!" business model probably didnt help!

The only K.K. around here is about 18 miles from my house and it has been opened about 9 months, the first 7 months the service was terriffic, but the last 2 months the service has been alful!!! The first 4 or 5 months that they were open the line went from the front of the store to the back of door and somtimes out the side door, too. Now the line is only 8 or 9 people. When the line was so big it took 20 minutes to get waited on, served and out the door. Now that the line is so much shortier it takes 20 to 25 minutes to get waited on, served and out the door. And I go to this store 4 to 5 times a month and the wait and service is always the same

I live between Niles Michigan and Dowagaic, Michigan near the Michigan-Indiana Stateline. The K.K. is located in Misawaka Indiana in a area that is a large regional shopping area, and also near the University of Notre Dame and St, Maru's college. I guees K.K. thinks that being the only K.K. in this large area they don't have to give good service!!!!!!!!! But they are loosing customers and thus loosing profits too!!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2005/01/18 11:14:08 (permalink)
The CEO is OUT OF THERE
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6838585/
dabelz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2005/01/22 01:10:52 (permalink)
KK was another coming which was more interested in their stock value then there product. Another "Best Market" waiting to happen.
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2005/01/22 01:21:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

I don't know but I suspect Dunkin Donuts is popular in the working class area of New England where gourmet coffees have not proven real popular

"The working class area of New England where gourmet coffee have not proven real popular"...okay, so I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that 1) you've never actually been to New England, where people take their coffee very seriously indeed, and 2) the name George Howell doesn't mean anything to you.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2005/01/22 04:15:54 (permalink)
I just had some incredible donuts in Round Rock, TX,courtesy of Bushie and the Sundancer. Dunno what the big deal about KK is--these were awesome.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2005/01/22 05:23:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

I just had some incredible donuts in Round Rock, TX,courtesy of Bushie and the Sundancer. Dunno what the big deal about KK is--these were awesome.

I only wish we had bought a dozen instead of just a few. They were excellent.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1