Krispy Kreme woes continues

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
2004/08/26 14:41:30 (permalink)

Krispy Kreme woes continues

I see where KK has suffered another big loss this quarter----i know some of you folks have stock--hope this doesnt hurt too much---big plunge in profits and stocks down 17% this am. Seems that Dr Atkins may be dead,but he's still beating up bakers and donut shops!---then of course--a management team that thinks they have the Midas touch,combined with a "grow-grow grow!!!" business model probably didnt help!

40 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/08/26 14:46:34 (permalink)
    Well that's a shame.. but in my opinion they only do one thing really well, and that's the hot glazed original.. the rest of their stuff is rather puny and wayyy too sweet and chemical tasting..
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/08/26 15:00:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    tiki said:
    I see where KK has suffered another big loss this quarter-

Tiki, one reason is the write-off from closing down the Montana Mills bread division, which they claimed was due to reduced sales caused by Atkins devotees.

Hog wash and bull excrement!!!!!

Montana Mills was a local company which started in Rochester, grew, and was bought out by Krispy Kreme a few years ago. They made excellent home-made tasting specialty breads and muffins, and always seemed to so a good business here. In fact, if I was on Atkins and was planning to sneak some carbs, it is exactly the high quality breads of Montana Mills I would want to spend my carb allowance on.

I don't think KK even tried to sell off Montana Mills, although the original owners had expressed interest in re-purchasing part of the chain.

Once again, corporate america screws the little guys - the employees and stock holders.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/08/26 16:26:56 (permalink)
    Krispy Kreme has been doing "funny" things with their franchising since they went public. Opening too many, too quickly in order to pad the revenue steam with franchise fees. Buying franchises back from favored owners etc etc. Or so I've been reading. Quite often it takes more than a good product--or even several good products--to make a good investment. Anyway, when it comes to KK, I think Wall Street is increasingly skeptical and they'll have to prove themselves again.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/08/26 18:17:08 (permalink)
    Yep---like SO MANY resteraunt owners that have a good thing going---they should stick to what they are GOOD at-----any of you ever read Anthony Boudain's "Kitchen Confidential--Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly"/---he mentions that very same thing---kinda like the Peter Principle---so many folks in the food biz seem to rise to their level of incompatancy, get delusions of grandeur and the the whole house of cards collapses after overextending, after comeing from a great mom and pop industry. I imagine Montana Mills would be doing just fine if it had managed to escape the clutches of the corporate bakers! To this day--my all time favorites donut makrs and bakeries are local,small time folks who have managed to learn the secret to life---thats is that there is such thing as ENOUGH! What the hell do you do with your SECOND billion anyway!!!???
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/08/27 15:21:42 (permalink)
    Their problem isn't the Atkins diet, it's pushing out way too many KK's everywhere. In my area there is a large KK stand alone store and the supermarket that is less than a quarter mile away, carries KK as does another supermarket 2 miles away. How much KK can the public handle? I sure don't like it, too sugary. It was a novelty here, now a menace!
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/08/27 18:32:35 (permalink)
    KK donuts are only good when they are warm. A cold KK is like a flat beer.

Supermarket Krispy Kremes do not come close to the ones produced on premises. That was the business model that works.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/08/27 20:04:54 (permalink)
    KK is an icon in my area. They will always be here! Nothing better than a freshly fried, glazed KK original, perhaps except the doughnut holes...
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/08/30 09:56:55 (permalink)
    The hot glazed is not even my favorite. Their sour cream cake donut is awesome. But they stoipped carrying them up here in the Northeast.

They are suffereing the same fate as the old Boston Chicken. They say if you dont grow you die in business, too bad not enough attention is paid to when you grow too fast.
    leslie1787
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/09/18 21:30:52 (permalink)
    KK's do have to be hot off the presses to be good. Sometimes when the HOT DONUTS NOW sign is
    not on, I go in anyway. Yesterday they were making jelly donuts. They have to let them cool before they fill them. So I got some hot and empty. Just shows what an addict I am.
    ukcats1993
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/09/21 11:44:56 (permalink)
    KK's dont even come close to the " Rolling Pin's " donuts made fresh daily in Owensboro Kentucky..
    If you want mass produced fast food donuts buy KK's
    kaylegh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/09/21 13:59:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

Their problem isn't the Atkins diet, it's pushing out way too many KK's everywhere.

In my area of southern massachusetts, we just got introduced to krispy kreme donuts.
    Want to talk about a donut shop being everywhere, come to new england and see all the dunkin donuts on every corner.
    leslie1787
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/09/27 19:20:59 (permalink)
    I love donuts, and ones produced by local bakeries are top notch. No one can match the cinnamon twists or glazed that come from my local baker- Don's Donuts. Theirs have a more complex yeastiness to the bite and the texture is quite wonderful. But KK is something different-not better--different. There is something exciting about seeing the Hot Donuts Now lite come on, like a sign from heaven. There is wonderment in watching that Rube Goldbergesque machine take those flat circles of dough sitting on their little green swings going up and down, up and down getting plumper and plumper. Then they are plunged into the river of hot grease, flipped at the right moment, and then....wow...they disappear under a silken waterfall of pure white icing. I never ever eat one cold. I only go in when the lite is on. I only have one with really cold milk, and I always appreciate and thank the workers for their contribution to my happiness. I have been to many different locations in many states and the KKers are always friendly. Krispy Kreme is a lesson is ingenuity and serendipity. (My favorite painting in my house is entitled "I saw Elvis at the Krispy Kreme", And yes, I have eaten at the KK down from his house.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1687
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/09/27 19:59:53 (permalink)
    On a recent trip to Atlanta Linda and I spent two nights at a hotel 1 block from KK corporate headquarters and there signature retail store.......... nice store and I ate a bunch BUT............ as a doughnut lover and somewhat connoisseur of "fried dough" KK is hardly the best of anything that resembles a doughnut. To small, to light, to sweet.
    I live in Silicon Valley where Cambodian and Viet Nam immigrants have brought with them there French baking skills and Voila!!!! the best doughnuts this country has ever seen.
    KK doughnuts look like punny little crumbs next to San Jose's best Vietnamese doughnut makers.
    Also a good doughnut in San Jose is an old shop thats been around forever " Lou's Doughnuts" ....................... Frank
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/09/27 21:06:03 (permalink)
    KK has yet to open a franchise in the part of Brooklyn where I work, or the part of NJ where I live. So you don't miss what you never had. Not that I would go out of my way for it anyway--the few time that I've tried them, I've been underwhelmed. And since I'm trying to eat healthy now, I'd avoid them. My favorite donut joints--Coffee An' in Westport, Conn. (thank you, Jane and Michael), though it's been years since I've been there and I have no idea if they are still good (the coconut crullers were awesome). Also, we used to go up to Geneva, NY every summer until a few years ago, and there is a Dunkin Donuts up there that was like every other DD in every respect, except that they had daily specials--the buttermilk donuts were really good--old fashioned, cakey rounds with a bit of spice and a light glaze.

Charlie
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1994
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/10/05 14:41:00 (permalink)
    If they are not hot and fresh, who needs them? I see them in truck stops and C stores, but never buy them because when I did they were always stale. In my mind a KK has a shelf life of just a couple of hours. I do sometimes make a 50 mile round trip to buy a dozen, but when I do, I only take them right off the machine. Stay away from those prepackaged mixed dozens.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/10/08 11:12:00 (permalink)
    The SEC has advised KK that the previously described "informal inquiry" into the company will now become a "formal investigation."

Frank
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/10/08 12:02:10 (permalink)
    We bought a box from a school kid last week and they were not good. If I can't get the Hot ones at the Krispy Cream store, I'll never buy them anywhere else. They do not last well at all.
    downtown
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/10/08 12:31:30 (permalink)
    when a KK finally opened here, they had to have police direct traffic the first couple of weeks. people actually lined up and spent the nite in front of that place before it opened. LOL. so after the hoopla died down, I finally got to try one.

ya'll are right, they are not the best, different and good, but not the best. the ones in my local market are better -- the main reason being they double-glaze theirs. dip them in clear glaze, THEN dip them in chocolate. WOWZA.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/10/08 13:19:21 (permalink)
    I've also found when picking up several dozen in the mornings for a company function to go inside instead of through the drive thru. They have boxes stacked up at the drive thru window so that people do not have to wait long in line. If you go inside, they get them direct off of the conveyor belt and but them in your box.
    tmiles
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/11/15 16:28:26 (permalink)
    They were mentioned on CNBC last week in a panel discussion. The panel blamed Atkins.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/11/15 16:35:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

They were mentioned on CNBC last week in a panel discussion. The panel blamed Atkins.

Boy... That overweight Atkins character sure did stir up some problems in the food industry..
    tmiles
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/11/22 11:04:45 (permalink)
    KK was on my home page this morning. They lost money again this quarter, but the spin is that it would really be a profit except for the costs of closed stores. The Beatrice execs who for years would not expand KK have been proven right. The independent KK knew how to hype, but they don't seem to know how to make money with the day to day operations of donut stores. They need to make changes.
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/11/22 12:11:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

KK was on my home page this morning. They lost money again this quarter, but the spin is that it would really be a profit except for the costs of closed stores. The Beatrice execs who for years would not expand KK have been proven right. The independent KK knew how to hype, but they don't seem to know how to make money with the day to day operations of donut stores. They need to make changes.

You'd think they would have learned something from Boston Market, but I guess not.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/11/22 13:29:39 (permalink)
    Serves them right for making such evil "FAT PILLS" !!!

Maybe they are being punished by the "Big Guy" !!!!

I guess I should go and stock up on them before they fold completely !!! Yep ... thats my story and I'm sticking to it !!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/11/22 13:44:42 (permalink)
    In the Sundancers opinion, a hot Krispy Kreme is the best. I never buy them any other way. A cup of hot Mellow Joy and a Krispy Kreme is the best. I wish them the best financially. I have been enjoying them for better than 50 years.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tmiles
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/11/22 14:26:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

In the Sundancers opinion, a hot Krispy Kreme is the best. I never buy them any other way. A cup of hot Mellow Joy and a Krispy Kreme is the best. I wish them the best financially. I have been enjoying them for better than 50 years.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I agree. If they are hot and fresh, they are wonderful. If they are a few hours old, they are just another stale donut. Were I in management there, I would focus on what they are best at, and cut out those off site sales.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/11/27 15:42:36 (permalink)
    never had KK till I moved to tampa,to me they are sugared air w/o much flavor beyond sweet. Add awful coffee and surely,untrained help and thats the KK experience for me Tampa has a REAL donut shoppe on Gunn Hwy(crossstreet is Casey Rd) that has donuts that actually weigh more than .11 of an ounce,friendly ,one family ownership and marvelous crullers,etc.......whats to choose?(actually Publix supermarkets have much better donuts than KK)
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/11/27 16:19:56 (permalink)
    I don't see how "growing too fast" could really be the problem....Dunkin Donuts has more stores here in eastern MA than KK has in the whole country. DD has the area saturated but they continue to open more stores and they all do well.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Krispy Kreme woes continues 2004/12/03 12:10:14 (permalink)
    and now this!!!!
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041203/D86O7PR00.html
    Will KK's problems never cease
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1