Krystal Burgers

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/09/25 04:10:10 (permalink)
Hello All,
I don't know how Krystal's are now, but back in the early 1990's, living in Tuscaloosa, Al., they were a treat for me and my young family. The wife was completing her education at University of Al. and we were living on a mac an cheese budget. The burgers were a treat, but the krystal pups and fries were a utter delight. My two little ones thought it was special since the times were tough for us moneywise.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
atomiclauren
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/10/06 17:23:05 (permalink)
i don't know if any more krystal's are slated to open in houston (there is one out in the 'burbs apparently) but i did find them here in a vending machine of all places..." />
socatalian
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/10/13 12:12:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by Rearden

"Krystal........White Castle.........Neither one can hold a candle to the best mini-burger ever: Royal Castle! A pile of Royal Castle hamburgers and a birch beer served in a frosted mug.......it doesn't get any better than that. I sure do miss the Royal Castles!"

Why? Aren't they still in business? I can't seem to find a website for them.

;)

No, they are gone. Search the archives. The WC/RC/Krystal's debate has been the subject of (several) prior threads.

Actually there is one still left operating in Miami at NW 125th Street and US441 - it's a grungy little operation in a marginal neighborhood but the burgers and birch beer are still the same as i remember back in the 60's. A few years ago i found a second one in Liberty City/Miami along NW 27th Avenue around 79th Street - not sure if this one is still operating now.
Blue Circle
Junior Burger
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/10/16 11:29:36 (permalink)
Hey I heard the Blue Circle is set to reopen in Knoxville spring of 2006. Does anyone know more?
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/10/16 12:28:22 (permalink)
quote:

Kyrstal in my area just went under.

They were so much better than most other offerings. WB still there, though...

Thanks for pronouncing it correctly. Krystal- not Krystal's.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/10/16 12:37:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:

You eat Krystal's. You buy them at Krystal... As for me, , the nearest Krystal is now 55+ miles away.
wilewil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/10/17 15:29:12 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

You eat Krystal's. You buy them at Krystal... As for me, , the nearest Krystal is now 55+ miles away.

It could be much, much worse. The closest Krystal to the Washington area is Burlington NC (282 or so miles according to the Krystal website).

If you consider White Castle a substitute there is one somewhat closer in Tom's River NJ (still well over 100 miles).

It's tough living in the "Great Slider Gap".
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/10/17 19:56:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wilewil

quote:

quote:

quote:

It could be much, much worse. The closest Krystal to the Washington area is Burlington NC (282 or so miles according to the Krystal website).

If you consider White Castle a substitute there is one somewhat closer in Tom's River NJ (still well over 100 miles).

It's tough living in the "Great Slider Gap".

Headed up to Atlanta Thursday. Krystal's on way up; purchasing Vienna Beef @ Super Target in Stone Mtn. on way back Friday. Never had Vienna Beef products before; hope I am not dissapointed, etc.
Buckshot
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/10/19 21:00:07 (permalink)
Blue Circle!! Boy howdy, I sure hope you're right concerning the reopening in Knoxville! I grew up eating Blue Circle hamburgers in Morristown, Knoxville, etc... Still have a Blue Circle coffee mug, drinking glass, match book, some advertisements, etc.

Buckshot
playin2win
Junior Burger
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/11/11 21:10:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sevfiv

i don't know if any more krystal's are slated to open in houston (there is one out in the 'burbs apparently) but i did find them here in a vending machine of all places..." />

There will be at least Ten More Krystal Burgers Opened in Texas that I know of . the next one is scheduled for opening in LufKin ... They say that if Krystal is making money in Texas they will continue to open new ones in the future.

winning@poker Playin2Win
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/11/22 18:38:59 (permalink)
They used to have one in Cocoa Beach, now Titusville is the closest I think on the space coast, but there are some in Orlando the last I heard of, rather have Royal Castle burgers.
Dont know how long ago they went under, but it was a staple of mine getting out of Jr high in the late 60's and then high school in the early 70;s..
Boy, Krsytal does come close, but you just couldnt beat the royal castle birch beer...
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/11/25 09:01:42 (permalink)
I'm situated within the Krystal Belt, and I think it's my favorite fast-food franchise. Neat no-nonsense operation, those little burgers satisfy a craving I get regularly, and I like their breakfast-in-a-cup. Major points for featuring grits!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/11/25 17:51:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek

I'm situated within the Krystal Belt, and I think it's my favorite fast-food franchise. Neat no-nonsense operation, those little burgers satisfy a craving I get regularly, and I like their breakfast-in-a-cup. Major points for featuring grits!

Grits, grits, grits.. I love grits!!!!!, and now that I live in New England, I have to make my own, cuz hardly any place has them on the menu here.. except for Dennys in Westbrooke, Maine...and that 20 miles away...
And NO krystal burgers to be found at all......
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/11/25 23:56:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek

Grits, grits, grits.. I love grits!!!!!, and now that I live in New England, I have to make my own, cuz hardly any place has them on the menu here.. except for Dennys in Westbrooke, Maine...and that 20 miles away...
And NO krystal burgers to be found at all......

I love grits too...hard to fine here in Mass...and Yes, New England is truly a "slider-free" zone...the closest White Castle is in New York. As far as fast food goes, we really only have the bland standards here - McD's, BK, Wendys, Taco Hell..

The only thing that even remotely comes close to a slider experience is the White Hut in Springfield MA.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/11/27 12:42:53 (permalink)
I have found that Krystal and/or WC is one of those things that if you had the choice you wouldn't want one or six except about once a month. Now that they are gone from my area, I have that insane craving, again. Go figure.

BTW. I have never seen a FFR do grits right.

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Krystal Burgers 2005/11/29 19:59:24 (permalink)
quote:

I have found that Krystal and/or WC is one of those things that if you had the choice you wouldn't want one or six except about once a month. Now that they are gone from my area, I have that insane craving, again. Go figure.

BTW. I have never seen a FFR do grits right.

I knwo what you mean.. When I lived near those lil burgers, I rarely ate them, and now I go crazy looking at the ones in the freezer case in the grocery store... and the prices are absurd!
Leemart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Krystal Burgers 2007/06/07 18:47:02 (permalink)
quote:

"Krystal........White Castle.........Neither one can hold a candle to the best mini-burger ever: Royal Castle! A pile of Royal Castle hamburgers and a birch beer served in a frosted mug.......it doesn't get any better than that. I sure do miss the Royal Castles!"

;)
Leemart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Krystal Burgers 2007/06/07 18:54:58 (permalink)
quote:

;)

Actually the Royal Castle legacy lives on in Miami FL, where the company started sometime around 1938. One of the early (1939) stores sufferred a fire in recent years, but is scheduled to reopen soon, while another has been operating successfully. This is all that is left of a chain that stretched across the southeastern US and to my mind, was superior to the White Castles or Krystals. Three burgers and a birch beer in a frosted mug for all of $.35 was my treat every Saturday before attending the kid's movie program at the Rosetta Theater in Little River, a suburb of Miami.
Stump1000
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Krystal Burgers 2007/07/22 11:38:46 (permalink)
When I was growing up I remember eating Krystals, and they were great!!

But now, we have a Krystal at the end of our road. The food is always nasty, the bread is always hard. They are never fresh like they used to be
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18422
RE: Krystal Burgers 2007/07/22 12:48:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Leemart

quote:

;)

Actually the Royal Castle legacy lives on in Miami FL, where the company started sometime around 1938. One of the early (1939) stores sufferred a fire in recent years, but is scheduled to reopen soon, while another has been operating successfully. This is all that is left of a chain that stretched across the southeastern US and to my mind, was superior to the White Castles or Krystals. Three burgers and a birch beer in a frosted mug for all of $.35 was my treat every Saturday before attending the kid's movie program at the Rosetta Theater in Little River, a suburb of Miami.

Royal Castle reached way beyond the Southeast. Royal Castles were very big in the midwest -- at least in Ohio, and that last two I know of in Ohio were right off Interstate 71 at Sunbury and at Lodi. The first Royal Castle I ever saw, and enjoyed, was on Biscayne Boulevard in Miami back in 1951 or 1952.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Krystal Burgers 2007/07/22 17:37:59 (permalink)
I grew up eating Royal Castles in Miami.
(Westchester area near the Palmetto X-Way and Coral Way).....
There was one right across the street from my Junior High School, and while most all the kids were hitting the candy aisle at the gas station, I was putting down some RC burgers..
Oh, and I so remember the heavy frosted glass mugs of birch beer.
Birch Beer is still one of my favorites......I loved watching them cook right there at the counter. I can smell those onions!

I had some Krystals last week, and IMHO, they weren't as good as I had them when I lived in Florida a couple years ago.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13493
RE: Krystal Burgers 2007/07/22 17:51:54 (permalink)
I use to be able to consume six Krystal cheese burgers. I cannot do that anymore. Unfortunately one is the limit and even with that, I have do do Pepcid.

I have not had the issue with hard bread. What I have got is a very fresh product. It is just the after effects that causes me problems.

They probably are not on my list any more but it will not dimish the memories I had years ago with something I enjoyed so much.

Regretfully, Adios Krystal, hello Pepcid and other products that help my life like blood pressure pills.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Krystal Burgers 2007/07/29 09:17:02 (permalink)
I can still do about 5 @ a time on the way up to Atlanta every other month or so. The last ones I had were pretty mediocre quality, though. I do like the new cheese choice options, however. Pepperjack for me...
Doozie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Krystal Burgers 2007/11/09 22:28:18 (permalink)
One opened near me in Salem Va this past year, and after a rip-roaring start, it has all but died. Right off the interstate, they may get some of that business, but the locals aren't impressed, and I can't say I am either. Mushy, mustardy little burgers that leave a nasty taste in your mouth. And for what you get, expensive. Maybe they were once good, but now...
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Krystal Burgers 2007/11/20 05:23:21 (permalink)
Sometimes I wonder if it isn't the area that you're in that makes a difference? I have eaten at Krystal in Tennessee and have always had good food. Same with Sonic.. delicious in Tennessee. I do remember Royal Castle in N. Miami Bch area on Collins Ave. We would walk across the street from our motel and grab a sack for lunch. They were good.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Krystal Burgers 2008/03/19 22:19:30 (permalink)
Krystal is testing a new concept in Chattanooga, TN. They look very much like Sonics with the parking/car hop thing going on. They apparently have TV's to watch while you eat in your car.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Krystal Burgers 2008/10/29 11:03:08 (permalink)
After reading the Sliders/White-Castle/Krystal discussion in another thread, I searched and found that there are no White Castles in Florida, but there is a Krystal on West International Speedway Boulevard near to the hotel where I will be staying this weekend.

I certainly can find the time to squeeze a visit in on my schedule (strictly for research purposes ).

Are there any special order secrets, like the "secret" menu at In-N-Out?
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Krystal Burgers 2008/12/07 23:20:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

After reading the Sliders/White-Castle/Krystal discussion in another thread, I searched and found that there are no White Castles in Florida, but there is a Krystal on West International Speedway Boulevard near to the hotel where I will be staying this weekend.

I certainly can find the time to squeeze a visit in on my schedule (strictly for research purposes ).

Are there any special order secrets, like the "secret" menu at In-N-Out?

Don, I just had to comment, as I drove 20 miles to pick some Krystal's up today.
If you didnt go, one secret is.. If you dont like mustard, then tell them, as that is the only condiment that they put on them.
Mustard, onion, pickles......
Royal Castle is still much better, but Krystals somehow relieve the need at times....
DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
RE: Krystal Burgers 2008/12/08 01:48:05 (permalink)
Miami had a few White Castles years ago. I can remember one close to Central Plaza around Flagler and LeJune and one on 27th ave not far from the Dade Co. Auditorium. Those closed around 65-66.

Krystal's that I've had in TN and GA have never approached what I remember from Royal Castle's taste even with catsup added.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Krystal Burgers 2008/12/09 08:48:28 (permalink)
I order extra mustard and onions.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1