L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats

Author
BigDaddyCain
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/09/09 01:21:30 (permalink)

L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats

We're visiting Atlantic City, Philadelphia & Manhattan for 8 days, will have car. Want to eat the much heralded east coast Jersey Dog, Philly Cheese Steaks and Corned Beef Sandwich. Any recommendations for quality/quantity establishments will be greatly appreciated..

15 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/09 03:25:54 (permalink)
    Jersey Dog:[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1715&RefID=1668']Charlie's[/url] and [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1362']Rutt's Hut[/url].

Cheese Steak: [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1232']Tony Luke's[/url] and [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=233']Pat's[/url]

Corned Beef: [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=243']Katz's[/url] and [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1570']Pastrami Queen[/url]
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/09 06:41:26 (permalink)
    There are so many great Jersey dogs. In addition to Charlies and Rutt's (my 2 favorites) let me add Syd's in Union (a great charbroiled all beef dog) Jerry's, The Hot Grill (best chili dog) and the Galloping Hill Inn (German style beef and pork)
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7905
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/09 07:38:50 (permalink)
    I'm going to have to add the Second Avenue Deli to the list of great corned beef sandwiches
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/09 07:51:48 (permalink)
    Other East Coast Sandwiches, you must try...

Meatball sub at the White House in Atlantic City.

Roast Pork Italian at Tony Luke's in Philadelphia.

And the Soprano at Tony's in Kingston, PA (Scranton Wilkes-Barre, PA--lunch only).

ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/09 09:24:49 (permalink)
    Bigdaddy: If NY is your last stop, ditch the rental car early....or find a way to rent only for the trips between towns..parking for multiple days in NYC [or Philly for that matter] is...fugeddaboutit...There is not a single great roadfood joint IN NYC thats not acessable by either mass transit or a relatively cheap cab ride..An all you can ride all day Transit pass [called a 'Fun Pass'] is only $5!!
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/09 12:11:02 (permalink)
    If you are in Atlantic City, make sure to allot one visit to my all time roadfood restuarant, The White House Sub Shop. They make a cheesesteak there that I believe is better than Pat's or Tony Luke's.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/09 12:27:39 (permalink)
    I join Wanderingjew regarding 2nd Avenue Deli's corned beef. It is the best, but should be at $15 for a sandwich. Zagat's rates them as the best deli in NYC, and I agree.
    SharonTriv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/10 08:22:13 (permalink)
    I'm going to second stanpnepa's musts of the White House in AC (the bread for the sandwiches comes from an Italian bakery right across the street--stop there after for great cannoli), and Tony Luke's. Also, Nick's Roast Beef at 20th and Jackson (just off Passyunk) in Philadelphia is wonderful. The roast beef sandwich with provolone is outstanding. Be sure to order it "overboard" so you get plenty of au jus. You will be traveling in God's country as far as food goes. Have fun!
    BigDaddyCain
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/11 23:46:42 (permalink)
    Thanks to all the roadies for your responses, it's good to know that there is no eastcoast/westcoast rivalry when it comes to eating. Thanks especially to ConeyIslandLou. Your parking tip has allowed me to free up about $150 in rental car fees. Better believe I'm spending it at somebodys lunch counter.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/12 07:38:08 (permalink)
    When you're in Philly, take some time to stop into The Reading Terminal Market in Center City (that's what we call the downtown area). There are a few counters that you should visit including Bassett's Ice Cream.

If you've read some of my posts regarding cheesesteaks, you'd see that everyone has their favorite cheesesteak places. Some people must go to the tourist stops and some prefer other shops.

Follow Michael Stern's advice and bring along at least one of his and Jane's books: Eat Your Way Across the USA or Roadfood. Each has great suggestions for food stops.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/12 12:46:27 (permalink)
    You must get pizza in NYC. Look at my pizza posts for a bunch of places, mostly in Brooklyn. If you must go to Manhattan, Pizza Box and Golden in the village are good. Patsy's too.

Favorite deli's

Katz's
    Second Ave.
    Carnegie
    Pastrami King

Don't forget a good knish. Knish Nosh on Queens Blvd or Mrs. Stahl's in Brighton Beach. There is also a knish place one block from Katz's on Houston Street in Manhattan.
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/19 18:03:22 (permalink)
    Be sure to get a Philly soft pretzel, available from vendors on almost any street corner in center city. And... like the natives, try it with mustard. When I was growing up, the vendors used to have a giant jar filled with mustard, and the lid had a hole punched in it where the handle of a paint brush stuck out, with the brush part in the mustard, so you slathered it onto your pretzel in true Jackson Pollack-style. Takes me back...

JaneDough
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/19 19:07:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

You must get pizza in NYC. Look at my pizza posts for a bunch of places, mostly in Brooklyn. If you must go to Manhattan, Pizza Box and Golden in the village are good. Patsy's too.

Favorite deli's

Katz's
    Second Ave.
    Carnegie
    Pastrami King

Don't forget a good knish. Knish Nosh on Queens Blvd or Mrs. Stahl's in Brighton Beach. There is also a knish place one block from Katz's on Houston Street in Manhattan.

Although the 2nd Ave. Deli is arguably NY's (and, therefore, maybe the world's) best, Katz's offers more of an amazing NY deli experience along with their fine delicatessen. So if you are only doing one deli, do Katz's.

Also, in the same neighborhood is Russ and Daughters, a great NY "appetizing" store, featuring wonderful smoked fish, etc.

The knish place in question is Yonah Shimmel's.
    GCoan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/19 21:44:08 (permalink)
    I work in Atlantic City. I agree with the recommendation of the White House, but would suggest two things; Try the "regular" which is an Italian cold cut sub which is wonderful with the works. My guess is that it is difficult to get reat italian cold cuts on the left coast, so this may be a revelation. Depending when you've been to Philly (before or after) you should try their cheesteak, which quite frankly is a differend animal than the "philly" cheesteak. Try it with provolone, fried onions and hot peppers.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: L.A. Chowhound looking for NJ, PHILLY, NYC eats 2003/09/20 00:48:45 (permalink)
    The White House makes the best Cheesesteak Sub as far as I'm concerned. Lettuce, tomato, fried onions, mayo, oil, hots, and ketchup for me. In Philly this would be a cheesesteak hoagie, not a traditional Philly cheesesteak, which only has steak, cheese and grilled onions.

The WH "regular" italian is the best submarine sandwich in the world. PERIOD.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1