The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

L.A. Confidential

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 14, messages 271 to 300 of 414
iluvcfood

• Total Posts: 395
Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 12:45 PM (permalink)
So besides wrapping paper what other Chatchaka's did you find that you absolutely could not live with out?  LOL

Suzy Gruyere

• Total Posts: 16
    Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 1:18 PM (permalink)
    I don't feel like clicking back through nine pages so if anyone has already pointed out that flautas are usually (but not always) flour tortillas and taquitos are usually (but not always) corn tortillas -- then forgive me for repeating.

I understand your reasoning, but I think you missed a good thing by eating the Santa Maria bbq separate from the offered salsa. It's really nice that way. Maybe next time, having experienced the meat on its own, you will try it.

The last time I ate at the Wheel Inn, the peanut butter pie was tasty but the stuff on top of it was not piped whipped cream, I'm pretty sure it was window caulk. Really gross and rubbery. It was a bummer, I must say.

Finally, I passed Hearst Castle three days before you did, when the weather was unbelievably spectacular, and I'm very sorry you missed the elephant seals because they were REALLY something to see... I am no expert in these matters, but I'm pretty sure the ones I witnessed were engaged in vigorous, glistening and extremely weird sounding elephant seal sexual congress. EXTREMELY WEIRD SOUNDING. And loud.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
      Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 1:47 PM (permalink)
      Suzy Gruyere ,

I love your nom de plume
      Welcome to Roadfood!

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 2:06 PM (permalink)
        Friday November 30, 2012 (cont.)

While we were in the Coachella Valley, we had to sample the unusual regional food that this area is known for and that is dates.  Hadley Fruit Orchards 

is a huge outfit just two miles away from Wheel Inn in Cabazon.  The Hadley family has been in the fruit orchard business since 1889! 

For a fruit orchard, the store is huge. 

They sell a wide array of dates

and food with dates in them,

along with other fruits and nuts. 

The variety of foods they have here is truly something to see.  If you have ever had a hankering for wasabi sunflower seeds,

this is the place to pick them up.  They also sell regular groceries and even have a section for wine. 

I should have checked to see if they have date flavored wine.

Off to the side, they have a little snack bar area

and the big seller is the famous date shake. 

I was tempted to go with the banana/date shake, but since this was Mariton's first date shake, I wanted her to taste the original.  Knowing we were going to hit several date shake places, I went with the small,

because these things really do pack a punch!  The shakes are thick, ultra-sweet with intense date flavor.  I had been wondering what date ice cream was like and today was the day we were going to find out.  While the ice cream

was not as sweet as the shake, it was very cold and hard and it took a while for it to thaw out.

Hadley Fruit Orchards
        48-890 Seminole Drive
        Cabazon, CA
        951-849-5255

It was another 45 minute drive further east to reach our next destination, another date orchard called Oasis Date Gardens

We had to drive through the small town of Thermal to get there and woo-wee, there is not much going on in Thermal.  Inside, there is a table set up for samples

and a pleasant little dining area.

While you can get a pure date shake, the idea of mixing another flavor into it was too intriguing to pass up. 

We did decide to go with the banana/date mix.  Although an interesting idea, we were not inrigued enough by the idea of a date bacon cheeseburger

to order it.  The shake

here a little thinner than at Hadley's and the banana made the shake less sweet and easier to enjoy.  In fact, the banana was the dominant flavor of the shake.

Our favorite thing about Oasis Date Gradens was the lovely picnic area

to the side of the building, where the employees were enjoying their lunch.

Oasis Date Gardens
        59-111 Grapefruit Boulevard
        Thermal, CA
        800-827-8017

We got back on the highway and headed west back towards Palm Springs.         
        <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 12/27/12 2:13 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 2:22 PM (permalink)
          Suzy Gruyere

I understand your reasoning, but I think you missed a good thing by eating the Santa Maria bbq separate from the offered salsa. It's really nice that way. Maybe next time, having experienced the meat on its own, you will try it. 
          Thanks for posting Suzy, always great to hear from you.  I can certainly understand not wanting to flip back through nine (now ten) pages, but at the first Santa Maria bbq joint we visited, we did put the salsa directly on the tri-tip.  I enjoyed it both ways, but preferred it without.  As for the elephant seals, maybe it is better off we didn't get to see them! 

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6223
            Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 4:43 PM (permalink)
            When winter vacationing in Desert Hot Springs, I always went to Hadley's at least once for a date shake.  Yep, they are really sweet but soooooo good!

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 4:54 PM (permalink)

Originally, I was thinking that we were going to skip Shields Date Garden, since we have just visited a couple of other date orchards, plus I have been here twice before.  But once I saw the sign on the highway for Indio, I couldn't help myself.  Besides, Mariton needed to see their movie!

Shields,

in business since 1924, is another classic place that has been in the Roadfood books for many years.  Love the kitschy knight sign

out front!  The inside area is certainly smaller than Hadley's, but the variety of dates and other goodies they sell here is equally as impressive.

The movie they show on a continuous loop has the racy name of "The Romance and Sex Life of the Date". 

Truthfully, the movie is rather tame, as you can imagine and is actually very educational and we learned a lot.  Still, ducking into the dark room, behind the red curtain gives you the sense that you are doing something naughty!

Since we are here, we mind as well get something to eat.  They have a old fashioned lunch counter,

where you place your order.  Having already consumed two date shakes, there would be no third.  I ordered one scoop of date ice cream and the woman acted surprised that all I wanted was one scoop. 

Considering how sweet all the date products have been so far, I am amazed anyone could even think about eating more than one scoop.  Anyway, the date ice cream was fantastic.  Soft and smooth, with the best date flavor of the day, we were really glad we didn't miss out on this.

In the back of Shields is a nice little patio, where they serve regular meals and you can get a great view of the palm trees. 

In the two years since I have been here last, they have greatly expanded the patio to the point where they could easily seat a hundred people or more.

Shields Date Garden
              80-225 US Highway 111
              Indio, CA
              760-347-0996

Enough snacking, we were now ready to get some lunch!   
              <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 12/27/12 5:07 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 4:55 PM (permalink)
                lleechef

When winter vacationing in Desert Hot Springs, I always went to Hadley's at least once for a date shake.  Yep, they are really sweet but soooooo good!
                Lisa, you know I was thinking about you when we were in Palm Springs.  It is easy to see why you like the area so much.

Sundancer7

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 5:01 PM (permalink)
                  BB:  The very next time we race in Pomona, I definately am going to Hadley's for dates and a date shake.  I passed by it before but did not stop.  I regreted it at the time and I regret it now.  Thanks for posting.  I want one now!!!

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 5:02 PM (permalink)
                    Paul, you will not regret it.  But, you may want to get that date/banana mix so that it won't be overwhelmingly sweet.

lleechef

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 5:56 PM (permalink)
                      buffetbuster

lleechef

Lisa, you know I was thinking about you when we were in Palm Springs.  It is easy to see why you like the area so much.

Believe me, it was NOT hard to leave cold, dark, snowy Alaska in January or February and spend two weeks in the Palm Springs area!!!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7597
                        Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 7:01 PM (permalink)
                        Lisa, have you been to Palm Springs in the Summer?

I've owned condos in there since 1978 and we only went in the summer because we rented out the condo during the winter.  The heat in the summer is absolutely stifling. 

For a Date Shake, Shield's is my favorite.  They'll split the shake between two cups if you let them know you'll be sharing them. They make them with their "Date Crystals" which they also sell.  I use them to make date nut squares. 

Sampling the different types of dates is also fun.  Medjool's have always been my favorite.

Hadley's is an easier stop in traveling on I10...  It's right there.  I always felt that the dates were an afterthought for their vanilla shakes.  Bothers me that you can now purchase Hadley's dried fruit at Costco for Christmas.  Takes a little something away from it for me.

All those palm trees you see in the pictures are date palms.  Love seeing the bundles of paper wrapped dates hanging from the trees.

It's always amazed me that a coconut comes from a palm tree and a date also comes from a palm tree. 

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 8:36 PM (permalink)

We had read good things about a couple of burger joints, George's Bar & Grill in Cathedral City and Tyler's Burgers in Palm Springs, but at this point, we both both more than a little burgered out.  So our lunch ended up being at Roadfood reviewed El Gallito

in Cathedral City.  This place is easy to spot as it is one colorful restaurant.  Based on what a prominent role chickens play in the interior decorating,

I am guessing that gallito means rooster.  The wait staff is very friendly and most of the seating is at comfy red vinyl booths.  

Our meal started with the chips and salsa. 

The chips were thick and solid, while the salsa was thin and very hot!  Mariton ate more of this than I could.  Interestingly, they have a policy right on the menu

where they don't serve you the chips and salsa until after you order.  Apparently, they have had customers come in and eat these and then order very little or no food.  I had never seen this policy before.

Mariton was having a hard time deciding what to order, so I suggested the chicken mole,

which is their Friday special.  You get both white and dark meat.  Mariton picked clean the dark meat, but found the white meat dry.  We both loved the reddish brown mole sauce, which was a little sweet and a little bit more hot.  My entree was the El Gallito Especial,

which means you get a portion of both the Chile Verde (obviously, a green sauce) and the Chile Colorado (a red sauce).  In both dishes, the sauces come with some wonderfully tender beef.  The red sauce was clearly hotter, but I enjoyed the complex flavor of the green chile.  Both of our dishes came with tortillas.  We were asked if we wanted corn or flour tortillas.  I asked which one the waitress recommended and she told me that the flour ones were homemade.  Well, that makes it an easy decision.  The tortillas

were still warm and we used them to sop up the extra sauce.  Mariton started the meal just drinking water, but once she saw a Corona go by,

she ordered one for herself.

While we were eating, all the waitresses were sharing a cake, as one of them was having a birthday.  I found it funny that when they were speaking with each other, it was in Spanish, but they all sang Happy Birthday in English!

El Gallito
                          68820 Grove Street
                          Cathedral City, CA
                          760-328-7794

It was finally time for us to head for our destination for the rest of the day, Palm Springs.  
                          <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 12/27/12 8:40 PM>

mar52

• Total Posts: 7597
                            Re:L.A. Confidential Thu, 12/27/12 9:04 PM (permalink)
                            Would you return to El Gallito?  Except for the mole sauces I call their food TV Dinner Food. 

I know it's been reviewed both in the Roadfood books and here but I just don't get the fascination.

Of course.. That's me.

I will admit that the building is cute.

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 4:17 AM (permalink)
                              mar52-
                              I think with the amount of restaurants in the area, the next time through I would go somewhere else.  Probably one of those burger joints.  Although we certainly ate at better Mexican restaurants on the trip, it is sad but true that El Gallito was as good if not better than any we have here in Pittsburgh. 

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
                                Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 10:04 AM (permalink)
                                buffetbuster

Based on what a prominent role chickens play in the interior decorating, I am guessing that gallito means rooster.
                                "El Gallito" means "The Little Rooster".  Gallo is the Spanish word for rooster ("pico de gallo" is "rooster's beak") and when a noun ends in "o" or "a" changing it to "ito" or "ita" is like adding the adjective "little".  I don't know if that's always the case, but after 3 years of high school Spanish over 30 years ago I think I'm at least partially correct.

That's an interesting policy they have regarding the chips and salsa.  I'm a serial offender when it comes to dripping on the menu!

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 12:37 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks so much for the Spanish lesson Senor Olson!  Over 30 years ago and you still remember that?  Pretty impressive.  I knew pico de gallo meant "beak of the rooster", but I didn't make the connection with gallito.

ChiTownDiner

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 12:59 PM (permalink)
                                    That's some set of rules on El Gallito's menu.  With marginal food and a set of customer unfriendly rules, not sure why asnyone patronizes them. 

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 1:08 PM (permalink)

The big touristy thing we wanted to do was ride the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway.   I rode this two years ago and failed to take a jacket with me.  It was so cold at the top that I could barely stand outside to take photos of the view.  From what I was told, there can be as much as a 40 degree difference in temperatures from the base to the top.  This time, I was prepared and Mariton also dressed for the cold.

It is known as the largest rotating aerial tramway in the world.  What that means is that the center of the car stays still,

but the outside part of the floor is constantly rotating, which allows everyone to get the full view.  The inside of the car is surprisingly spacious

and could easily hold 30+ people.  The car climbs over a series of steel truss pylons,

while giving you a great view of the canyon below. 

The ride lasts just a little longer than 10 minutes before it arrives at the top, known as the mountain station. 

At the top of the mountain you will find Mount San Jacinto State Park,

with foot paths into the woods

and you can even ride a burro.  We did do a little bit of walking, just enough to encounter some wildlife. 

Fortunately, it was friendly.

The big reason to take the tramway is for the spectacular views of the city below and the entire valley beyond.  On a clear day, they say you can see as far as 200 miles!  Here are some photos of the view:

In that last photo, all of those white things visible on the valley floor are the wind turbines.

On the way down, the sun was starting to set, making the view even better!

We checked into our hotel, the Hyatt Regency Palm Springs, which is right on the main drag, N. Palm Canyon Drive.  Mariton went shopping in the boutique stores, while I did what I do best, take a long nap. 
                                      <message edited by buffetbuster on Fri, 12/28/12 1:11 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                        Due to our trip through the New Year, looks like this is as far as I will be able to take this report for now.   I hope to finish this by next weekend. 

ScreamingChicken

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                          Great views from the park!  Did you notice any difference in the atmosphere and your breathing when you reached it?

lleechef

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                            bb
                                            I agree with you about El Gallito, nothing special really.  One year we were in Desert Hot Springs from August to April and I worked at Mad French Lady Gourmet Foods (not there anymore) which was right next to El Gallito.  I thought it was just OK.
                                            mar
                                            When we arrived in August that year it was 108 degrees.  Too hot to be tanning in the sun but not bad in the shade.

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 1:33 PM (permalink)
                                              ChiTownDiner

That's some set of rules on El Gallito's menu.  With marginal food and a set of customer unfriendly rules, not sure why asnyone patronizes them. 
                                              Luckily, none of those rules really were a problem for us.  Under different circumstances, I might have a different opinion.  We did like the food better than mar52 and lleechef did, but it still isn't a place that I would go out of my way for again. 

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                                SC-
                                                There was a noticeable difference in the atmosphere from the bottom to the top.  I did have to catch my breath a couple of times, which is something I don't remember having to do since a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park around ten years ago.

lleechef-
                                                108?  I think we will stick to visiting Palm Springs in December.

mr chips

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 2:05 PM (permalink)
                                                  Trudy and I visited Shields Date Garden ,the Wheel inn and Hadley's 3 years ago in the summer. We were warned by nice people it was dangerous to walk around when it was 115 and indeed it was broiling when we bought gas and went to the bank. And the movie at Shields was not air conditioned so I watched it while sweating bullets. 
                                                       Trudy and I are thinking of visiting Palm Springs during our trip to Socal in a couple of weeks. And we may be taking Sam's little brother with us. I want to take the tram but Trudy is afraid of heights so I don't know what will happen. I may just skip El Gallito. it does not sound all that good and the restrictions seem silly to me.
                                                         One thing about Shields that is not obvious from the photos. It is smack in the middle of town across the street from several strip malls. It just is not very rural.
                                                           Excellent report BB and it has certainly helped our planning for the social trip.
                                                  <message edited by mr chips on Mon, 03/18/13 5:39 AM>

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                                                    Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                                    buffetbuster

Due to our trip through the New Year, looks like this is as far as I will be able to take this report for now.   I hope to finish this by next weekend. 

That's ok since it means another trip report on the horizon.  Where to this time?  And don't we still have a Vegas report to look forward to (he asked hopefully)?

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 2:17 PM (permalink)
                                                      Hatteras04-
                                                      We are headed for Charleston, SC for the New Year.  Sorry to tell you that there will not be a trip report for that or the Las Vegas trip.  At this point, I only have time to do them for week long trips.  I do know that several places we visited in Las Vegas will end up in my year in review and Charleston will probably be the same way.  Thanks for asking!

mr chips-
                                                      You are correct that Shields is no longer rural and it seems it has built up even more in the two years since my last visit.  I hope you get out to Palm Springs and the surrounding area during your trip.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                                                        • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                        Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                                        buffetbuster,

Since you can't do reports on every trip, could you list your Roadfood excursions for 2012 (either here or in your end of year post)?  I think we will gasp in awe.

carolina jim

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                                          CJ-
                                                          Yeah, we can do that.  I did make it to 32 states in 2012, which means that The Travelin Man kicked my a** this year.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                            • Joined: 11/20/2000
                                                            • Location: Rogue Valley
                                                            Re:L.A. Confidential Fri, 12/28/12 3:51 PM (permalink)
                                                            We  use a loss of 3 degrees per 1000 ft. when going up in the mountains, which means on a hot day on the valley floor
                                                            it's time to take off to the high country. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 14, messages 271 to 300 of 414

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com