Hot!L.A. Confidential

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 15
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/06 16:57:57 (permalink)
Great pic of Mariton and Mr. sex legs himself.  LA is truly a city of the unusual.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10222
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/06 17:03:53 (permalink)
Paul, I love that statement!  And it is even a little more unusual when some certain Roadfooders are in town.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/06 18:40:59 (permalink)
Friday November 23, 2012 (cont.)

This day had been warm, humid and sunny, but once we reached just a few blocks away from our dinner destination, Pann's, the weather made a shockingly sudden change and it quickly became dark and windy in seemingly seconds.  Very strange!

Pann's is another Southern California coffee shop, only with an even cooler vibe than Du-Par's.  Like Michael Stern writes in his review, plus Glenn1234 and Wintahaba pointed out earlier in this thread, it is an excellent example of  Googie architecture.  Great outdoor sign, 

door handle

and neon interior sign.

The seats are all at the long counter

or in attractive red booths.  Pann's is one of the best looking Roadfood restaurants I have ever visited.

The food most people come here for is the fried chicken.  Now, normally when we go out to eat, the three of us will order different items, so we can try as much of the menu as possible.  But, all three of us are big fans of fried chicken, so that's what we all ate.    TTM and Mariton both got two piece plates,

while mine was the four piece half chicken platter. 

This chicken had a very thick, delicious, brittle crust.  Inside meat wasn't particularly juicy, but still had great flavor.  Both of the guys liked our chicken just fine, but Mariton absolutely loved it.  She said it reminded her of the fried chicken her grandmother used to make back in the Philippines.  Not only did she eat both of her pieces, but she ate a good portion of my half chicken, too.  She usually is not a big eater at all, so I was very pleased that she enjoyed it as much as she did.

We did order a nice variety of sides.  The mashed potatoes tasted real and were very good.  The pineapple slaw

was creamy, refreshing, with little chunks of the fruit in it.  Mariton liked her corn and the onion rings had a serious crunch and were some of the widest I have ever seen.  After that, it goes downhill.  The mac & cheese

was truly dreadful and tasted like they used Grade Z cheese.  Neither one of us took any more than one bite of it.  The corn bread muffin was dry and too crumbly.  TTM was okay with his biscuit, but thought it needed real butter.  My garlic toast

was so bad looking, I didn't even bother trying it.

All three of us ordered milkshakes.  Mariton went with oreo cookie,

TTM the mocha, while mine was chocolate banana. 

While they certainly look good, they were so full of ice chips, I gave up less than halfway into mine.  They do have dessert here, but it is more cake than pie, so I passed.  One of the friendly hostesses walked around and handed free smaplesof the pumpkin loaf, which was moist and quite good.  Our service was also very friendly.

As you can see, Pann's was really a mixed bag.  There was so much too like about the place, yet much of the food I can not recommend.  I would go back for the atmosphere and fried chicken, but probably wouldn't venture any further into the menu.

Pann's
6710 LaTijera Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
310-670-1441   
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/12/07 08:00:33
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/06 18:41:06 (permalink)
Buffetbuster
Although  that burger would  probably not drag me into Pie and Burger,  that magnificent Peanut Butter Pie certainly would.....

Looking forward to more!

BTW 

You did fine with the ceasar salad- remember its regionally appropriate!
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 557
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/06 19:43:24 (permalink)

BuffetBuster - 

I think you and I took some of the same photos of Pann's architecture.  Love that fried chicken.  That mac & cheese looked pretty bad, but your garlic toast looked appetizing to me.   I think I had mashed potatoes and corn along with my fired chicken when I was there.  All I ordered was good.     

They must be doing well.   They weren't open 24/7 when Janet and I were there.  I think they went to something like 9 on weekdays and 10 or 11 at the latest on weekends. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2012/12/06 19:45:21
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/06 19:59:13 (permalink)
Glenn1234-
You are 100% right about the hours.  I could have sworn I read somewhere they are open 24 hours, but that is not so.  It is Sun-Th 7a-9p and F + Sat 7a-10p.  Thanks for pointing that error out. 
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4059
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/06 20:00:25 (permalink)
Just wanted to say that I am enjoying the pics and commentary.  Thanks, BB.

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/06 20:13:46 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Glenn1234-
You are 100% right about the hours.  I could have sworn I read somewhere they are open 24 hours, but that is not so.  It is Sun-Th 7a-9p and F + Sat 7a-10p.  Thanks for pointing that error out. 

I was hoping you were right about it being  24/7 now.   I love late night bites. 

Glenn

mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7843
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/06 21:09:21 (permalink)
Excellent report so far and I hope it goes a lot further.

I've also had mixed meal results at Pann's and although I live just a few miles from it, it's been a couple of years or more since my last visit.

Why?  (Didn't you wonder?)

The last time I was there, they were out of the things I wanted.  I finally agreed to the corn chowder and the waiter said that he could probably scrape enough from the bottom of the pot to give me a serving.  Then I watched him do that very thing.

Your description of the macaroni was dead on.  Good thing you didn't order the canned green beans.

I always liked the order of wings from Pann's... but not when they're so overcooked that the coating was burned... and served.

Great place to drive by.

I do enjoy the music there.

Looking forward to more from you!
totillie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 01:35:23 (permalink)
Buffetbuster, the Thousand Oaks Dupar's was indeed adjacent to a motel. [We actually had to live for several weeks at a previous motel incarnation in the early 70's, waiting for our furniture to arrive from R.I. - it was a HoJo's then.]  An even earlier Dupar's version was just around the corner, also motel-adjacent. The motel-adj. space is a 'tapas' place now. Uneven, sadly.

I miss those breakfasts. And there were great patty melts.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 09:37:43 (permalink)

It was a short drive to our next Roadfood stop, the famous Randy's Donuts.  And even if you don't recognize the name, you will almost certainly recognize it for the having the giant donut on the roof. 

The image has appeared in countless movies, tv show and music videos.

TTM had been here before and Mariton isn't much of a donut eater, so we were here mostly for me.  There was a little bit of a line,

which went slowly, but that gave me time to look over the menu list. 

While I was doing that, the other two were walking around and taking photos of this memorable piece of vernacular architecture. 

BTW, I should mention that you will be seeing a fair amount of photos taken by Mariton and I think she has a real nice photographic eye.  Instead of me pointing out which pics are hers, if it is a real good photo, just assume it was hers.

Despite all those racks of donuts in the back, they were all out of several that I tried to order, including devil's food.  They also did not have any chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies left.  So, I had her box up a half dozen of her choice and a couple of oatmeal raisin cookies.  Our box

from Randy's was a bright pink.  The cookies

were nice and soft and surprised me by having small bits of nuts in them.  We took the box with us when we checked into our hotel, The Andaz in West Hollywood, for the next three nights.

I did take pictures of the donuts

the next morning and nibbled on them a little, but they were no longer fresh and most of them ended up getting thrown away.  Which is a real shame, because they sure did smell good when we first bought them.  I plan on revisiting Randy's next time in town.

Randy's Donuts
805 W. Manchester Avenue
Inglewood, CA
310-645-4707      
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 14:04:46 (permalink)

It had been a long day and we were still adjusting to the time change, so I took a solid three hour nap.  TTM called and we decided to head back out for a late night meal.  Mariton was quite comfy just where she was, so it was just the two guys.  We called Waffle

in Hollywood to comfirm they were still open and headed out.  The famous concert venue, the Hollywood Palladium was half a block away, with a long line of people waiting outside to get in.  This meant that parking was a little problematic, but we eventually found a spot nearby, although we only had an hour because of the meter.

Even though it is possible to order food at Waffle that doesn't contain waffles, why would you come to Waffle and not order waffles?  In other words, don't waffle at ordering waffles at Waffle. 

TTM, started with a good looking bowl of chicken vegetable soup. 

Possibly forgetting what day it was, he went with the Thanksgiving waffles for his entree. 

Actually, I was just happy that he didn't try ordering pancakes at a waffle shop.  I know that he did make a change to his order so that there would be no pumpkin and he seemed happy with what he ate.  Maybe he can tell you more.  I do know know that at one point his cranberry sauce spilled in the middle of the table and it made such a big mess, it looked like we had just slaughtered a pig.

There were so many great sounding items on the menu, but I finally settled on the wonderfully named Flight of Wee Waffles. 

No doubt that this is what Cousin Johnny, a.k.a. Captain Combo would have selected.     This is three small waffles with different toppings.  #1 was the herb waffle with goat cheese.  # 2 was a chive waffle with smoked salmon and dill cream.  #3 was a bacon waffle with carmelized onions and a sunny side egg.  Though there was no loser in the bunch, the last one ended up being my favorite.  Afterwards, I was thinking just how good the smoked salmon would have been on the herb waffle or some other combination.  The waffles themselves were all very fresh and at times I could almost taste  a malt flavor to them.  As a side, there was no resisting sweet potato tots,

which were crispy on the outside, sweet and creamy inside.

As you can undoubtedly tell, this is not the usual Roadfood restaurant.  And instead of being some small, cozy place, the interior is actually spacious, with high ceilings. 

There was a stairway next to our booth leading up to a second floor bar.  The wait staff all looked like a bunch of models and our waitress was young, attractive and a lot of fun.  Despite the fact that we were the oldest people here by at least 15 years and didn't exactly fit in, we really enjoyed the place and would return without hesitation. 

Waffle
6255 W. Sunset Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
323-465-6901

We made it back to the car with five minutes to spare.  On the drive back to the hotel, I spotted a 24 hour pho restaurant, a little nugget of information for later on.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/12/07 15:07:42
mar52
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 14:51:24 (permalink)
You're doing great with your choices!

I often go to Randy's because I don't have to get out of the car to get my fix (not fill) of donuts.

I find their donuts ordinary but I like all donuts.

There is always someone taking photos when there.  THAT'S what it's about.

There are several of these Big Donuts around town, but Randy's is the most famous probably because of location. 

If you had been here a few weeks ago you could have watched the Shuttle Endeavour inch its way down Manchester Boulevard past Randy's.

When I was young they were called The Big Donut and the owners went on to build, run and then sell Pup 'n Taco.  Just a little trivia.

Anxious to read about your next meals.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 14:57:16 (permalink)
mar52

There are several of these Big Donuts around town, but Randy's is the most famous probably because of location. 

mar52 -

We had seen another big donut in the L.A. region, but it was no longer operating as a donut shop.  I think it was some sort of car repair.  Besides Randy's, are any of the other "big donuts" still operating as donut shops?

Glenn

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 507
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 14:58:27 (permalink)
Seeing the last photo, I got an instant reminder of that L.A. classic, Nighthawks.  Just like that, so nicely framed and accomplished, but here the height adding a new dimension.

But you three, you BB and TTM and beautiful Mariton, you have raised the bar in a lot of ways here! The humor from all is making me laugh, and spill my beer.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5042
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 15:28:50 (permalink)
buffetbuster

This is three small waffles with different toppings.  #1 was the herb waffle with goat cheese.  # 2 was a chive waffle with smoked salmon and dill cream.  #3 was a bacon waffle with carmelized onions and a sunny side egg.
This is common Pittsburgh fare, right?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 15:32:06 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

buffetbuster

This is three small waffles with different toppings.  #1 was the herb waffle with goat cheese.  # 2 was a chive waffle with smoked salmon and dill cream.  #3 was a bacon waffle with carmelized onions and a sunny side egg.

Naah.....they would just throw some french fries on top of the waffle and call it a day!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 16:54:50 (permalink)
Glenn, here is an interesting article on the Big Donuts.

http://laist.com/2009/06/...dys_donuts.php#photo-1
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 17:28:30 (permalink)

<<...."Naah.....they would just throw some french fries on top of the waffle and call it a day! "...>>

LOL!  Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Primanti Brothers' gimmick, either.

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2012/12/07 18:48:53
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 17:29:35 (permalink)
mar52

Glenn, here is an interesting article on the Big Donuts.

http://laist.com/2009/06/...dys_donuts.php#photo-1

Very interesting.   Much thanks!

Glenn

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4211
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/07 18:13:07 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster This is three small waffles with different toppings.  #1 was the herb waffle with goat cheese.  # 2 was a chive waffle with smoked salmon and dill cream.  #3 was a bacon waffle with carmelized onions and a sunny side egg.

Naah.....they would just throw some french fries on top of the waffle and call it a day!
Don't forget the slaw.

Buddy

P.S. Looking at that photo of the inside of Waffle; it may be ultra modern design, but the overall layout of the place still exudes a traditional California Coffee Shop vibe.

B.
mikeam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 197
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/08 09:10:19 (permalink)
Another great report. Thanks for sharing!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4059
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/08 12:57:29 (permalink)
I thought Pann's Coffee Shop looked familiar:  checked Google; it was the location for the opening and closing scenes of Pulp Fiction.

Again, thanks for the interesting, informative, and wonderfully illustrated report! 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/12/08 14:05:51
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/08 13:55:25 (permalink)
BB, your trip report is only making me even more excited for my january trip to visit my son Sam. I know we are going to the Palm Springs area for a day but i don't think I can persuade my wife to go to the reagan library though i have been in the past and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to even more of your trip report.. And mariton look great these days.
post edited by mr chips - 2012/12/08 17:49:22
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2613
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/08 16:19:01 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

I thought Pann's Coffee Shop looked familiar:  checked Google; it was the location for the opening and closing scenes of Pulp Fiction.

Again, thanks for the interesting, informative, and wonderfully illustrated report! 

Pumpkin,

Thanks for looking that up.  You've got a better eye for detail than me.

I can't wait for buffetbuster's report from Big Kahuna Burger. 

Honey Bunny
post edited by JRPfeff - 2012/12/08 16:24:03
mar52
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/08 16:52:11 (permalink)
Oddly there's rumor that it was not filmed at Pann's at all but at their Hawthorne location. 

Found something about that rumor here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pann%27s
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2613
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/08 17:07:29 (permalink)
Marlene,

You are probably right.  The opening scene does show the front of the Hawthorne Grill.  The interior details are also different from these latest photos, but things could change in 20 years.

Jim
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/09 16:41:59 (permalink)
Saturday November 24, 2012

We had someplace to be at 10:00AM in downtown Los Angeles, so we figured this would be the perfect opportunity to eat at the Original Pantry

They have been in business since 1924 and has been included in many of the Roadfood books.  Knowing how popular they can be, we made sure to get here early, arriving at 8:15, but there was still a long line halfway down the block. 

A good portion of those people were wearing USC apparel, plus others in Notre Dame clothes, in anticipation of the big game at the Coliseum that afternoon.  We killed time chatting with the people around us and finally got seated at 9:15 in the main dining area. 

Had we known, we could have stood in a much shorter line for the counter seats. 

Next time, we will know.  Anyway this sure didn't leave us much time to eat, but we had confidence that the pros here on staff could get us in and out quickly.  Being able to look over the menu boards posted around the inside,

(sorry about the blurry pic, I was in a hurry) we were able to order as soon as we sat down.  Luckily, the food came out in just a few minutes and we dug in with a purpose.

Mariton's breakfast was the very simple home fries and eggs,

but let me tell you, those are some beautiful home fries and eggs!  TTM started his breakfast with a short stack of pancakes

and it was about this time that Mariton and I started planning a pancake intervention for the poor addict.  The wide pancakes were spongy in a good way and we all enjoyed splitting them again.  He also got a plate of bacon and eggs and

when was the last time you saw so much bacon come with a similar dish.  This puts all those places that usually give just a couple of strips of bacon to shame.  Using his excellent, crispy sourdough toast,

TTM started getting creative and made breakfast sandwiches.

My meal started with some wonderful, eggy sour dough french toast,

plus a plate of scrambled eggs and extra-thick ham steak. 

And of course, a side of those crunchy topped home fries

came with it.  Conversation over the meal consisted of constant updates of the time, how good the food was and how impressed we were by what a great breakfast town Los Angeles was turning out to be.

Service was lightning fast and efficient, exactly what we needed on this morning.  Mariton paid at the register, remembering to get out ticket validated for the lot across the street, while the guys hit the bathroom.  We ran out the door at 9:53, which should give us just enough time to get to where we needed to be.  

Original Pantry
877 S. Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA
213-972-9279 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/12/09 16:48:00
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/09 17:16:28 (permalink)

Wow!   The Pantry was on our list, but we didn't get there.  Looks great!!

Glenn

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/09 17:16:52 (permalink)
While we were eating at Pann's, I remember thinking to myself that this looks like the coffee chop in Pulp Fiction.  I made a mental note to myself to look it up later, but completely forgot.  I would be very curious to know if it was at Pann's or not.

JRPfeff-
Trust me,considering how much I love pineapple, if there was such a place as Big Kahuna Burger, we would have eaten there!  Don't you think someone should start such a place or would they owe Mr. Tarantino a boatload of money?

Thanks for the kind remarks mr chips.  I always enjoy your comments.  It sounds like you have a really good trip coming.  Mariton and I did visit the Reagan Museum and maybe our report can help persuade Trudy.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 15
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1