LL Dent- Sunday brunch in Carle Place, NY

Author
MetsLegacy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2010/01/24 18:47:00 (permalink)

LL Dent- Sunday brunch in Carle Place, NY

My first post here on Roadfood, and pretty excited about it. I've been lurking around here for a while and never found the courage to sign up and post, but I had a phenomenal experience today that I thought I needed to share. Sorry that there aren't any pictures in this report, I went to the restaurant directly from the aquatic center following a swim.

LL Dent
221 Old Country Rd.,
Carle Place, NY 11514
Phone: (516)742-0940

www.lldent.com

I walked into the subtle location not expecting much but having the knowledge that the brunch was all you can eatstyle. The restaurant claims "American Cuisine with a Southern Flair", and that's exactly what it was. The buffet wasn't typical in that everything was behind a glass counter and an extremely charismatic chef who had a ton of personality was serving. The options were many, including biscuits, cornbread, curried chicken, fried catfish and chicken, an omelet station with several choices, a waffle station, breakfast potatoes, baked mac and cheese, okra, rice, beans, grits, potato salad, collard greens, yams, turkey wings, ribs and chocolate chip pancakes.

Well, I really didn't know where to start but I really needed protein seeing as I just came off of an hour of swimming laps nonstop. I started off with a 3 egg white omelet with green peppers, spinach, onions and tomatoes along with a fresh biscuit. This omelet was prepared by the chef(I really regret not getting her name. She helped make the experience memorable.) right behind the glass. She flipped the omelet right in front without using a spatula and made it look easy. As it was cooking, she let me have some other choices and said she would bring the omelet over once it was done. Fine with me!

To start off I tried a Belgium Waffle with whipped cream. The waffle was really good, albeit nothing you can't find anywhere else. Also, I had a plate that consisted of the collard greens, the yams, the mac and cheese and chocolate chip pancakes.  I found the yams to be absolutely spectacular with a touch of brown sugar. The collard greens were also extremely fresh and well made. The chocolate chip pancakes were passable, but nothing extraordinary. The mac and cheese was great. It was baked also, and the cheeses blended together extremely well to create an awesome flavor explosion.

By this time the omelet was out, which wasn't disappointing on a fresh biscuit and a piece of cornbread. Both the cornbread and the biscuit were really good, and the omelet was well prepared and crispy.

Next up I went back up to try the fried chicken and fried catfish. I found the fried chicken to be really well made, but it was a little dry in the middle. It had a really nice batter, though. The fried catfish was easily the best I ever had, and was extremely fresh and moist. I was so tempted to get more but dessert was calling my name by this point.

For dessert they had a variety of homemade items. They had nice sized chocolate chips cookies, double chocolate cake, bread pudding, sweet potato pie, peach cobbler, banana pudding, apple pie and some fruit. I must say that the sweet potato pie can NOT be missed. I ended up having three servings of it. The crust was extremely good and the pie was still warm. The chocolate chip cookies were extremely well made, as well. The edges were crispy and the interior was nice, soft and chewy with a generous amount of chocolate chips that made the cookie very enjoyable.

The bread pudding was very good as well, with them just pouring on a fresh sugary butter sauce on top as I was approaching the table. It was good, but not the best they had. The banana pudding was also well made, although nothing extraordinary.

Possibly the best desert was the double chocolate cake, which was both moist and rich with flavor. I ended up taking two slices of this, as one wasn't going to cut it. Highly recommended.

Overall, the food was extremely worth the price of $18.75. The service was nice and friendly, and the small but intimate location was really pleasant with jazzy music playing in the background. All the food was extremely fresh, and there were plenty of people coming into the restaurant. I left very satisfied.

This was my first report and post, and so I hope I didn't leave anything out. Enjoy it! If you're in the area, I highly recommend checking LL Dent out for the brunch.

8 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15340
    Re:LL Dent- Sunday brunch in Carle Place, NY 2010/01/24 20:02:53 (permalink)
    M L

First of all, Welcome to Roadfood, we're glad to have you join the fun. Thanks for a nice write-up on the 'LL DENT Brunch House'. Based on the zipcode I will hazard the guess that it is on Long Island, but I am not familiar enough with the communities there to narrow the location. It sounds like a good place to go to 'tank up' after a busy morning (or night before!)

We hope you offer feedback on as many forums here as you decide to visit, and keep those reviews coming, we appreciate them very much.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 498
    Re:LL Dent- Sunday brunch in Carle Place, NY 2010/01/24 21:47:47 (permalink)
    I tend to not be a big fan of the buffet, but it sounds like you found a winner, with some nice fresh-cooked items! Looking forward to future posts! Welcome to Roadfood.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:LL Dent- Sunday brunch in Carle Place, NY 2010/01/24 21:52:46 (permalink)
    excellent & detailed report Metslegacy.
     but the secert is to always carry a camera
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    Re:LL Dent- Sunday brunch in Carle Place, NY 2010/01/24 23:27:16 (permalink)
    I liked this report! I particularly appreciated the level of detail you included.
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    Re:LL Dent- Sunday brunch in Carle Place, NY 2010/01/25 00:27:04 (permalink)
    mayor al
    Based on the zipcode I will hazard the guess that it is on Long Island, but I am not familiar enough with the communities there to narrow the location.
    Yes Al, it's on Long Island, opposite the Roosevelt Field (where Lucky Lindy took off on his historic flight) Shopping Mall. Maybe 25 minutes from Manhattan, if you drive like me. Thanks for the review, ML, I hope I get to try the restaurant soon...

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:LL Dent- Sunday brunch in Carle Place, NY 2010/01/25 09:30:03 (permalink)
    You are the man (or woman) if you can eat a plate that has collard greens and chocolate chip pancakes on it at the same time.  Great report--welcome MetsLegacy!
    MetsLegacy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:LL Dent- Sunday brunch in Carle Place, NY 2010/01/25 17:38:16 (permalink)
    sk bob

excellent & detailed report Metslegacy.
     but the secert is to always carry a camera

I realized that as soon as I walked in the door, and I actually usually have a camera on me but it just so happens I was coming right from the pool and hadn't stopped home yet. I try not to take too many things over to the aquatic center. I'll definitely be keeping it handy in my glove compartment from now on.

Thanks for all the responses, I'll definitely continue the reports in the near future :)
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2465
    Re:LL Dent- Sunday brunch in Carle Place, NY 2012/09/27 00:19:12 (permalink)
    MetsLegacy, a belated welcome to Roadfood.  I have very dear friends in Carle Place and I'll definitely be sending this link to them.  Thanks so much for all of the wonderful detail!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1