The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

LOL, driving down Main Street in Old Forge PA

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
LOL, driving down Main Street in Old Forge PA Wed, 01/24/07 7:08 PM (permalink)
My dad and I were up in Clarks Summit, so on the way home we called Revello's for a few trays to take home; 2 white and 1 red half pepperoni half meatball.

We got there around 5:30 and you know, about halfway down Main, right about near Augustini's Club 17, the car filled up with the wonderful aroma of baking bread and cooking garlic! We could smell it all the way down to the corner where Revello's/Ghigarelli's/Arcaro & Genell's sit, about 2 1/2 blocks.

Nothin' else, just that it was really cool. Garlic and bread everywhere, all over town. The kind of thing that makes a Roadfooder smile. And Revello's was as good as it always is.

Tom

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
    RE: LOL, driving down Main Street in Old Forge PA Wed, 01/24/07 7:44 PM (permalink)
    Had one of those same experiences a couple years back as we got to the outskirts of Gilroy, CA on our way from SF to Yosemite.

At that time I did not know it was the "garlic capital of the world" and couldn't figure out for the life of me why it smelled so intensely of garlic....until we saw the sign welcoming us to the town.

Look forward to getting back there for another whiff one day!

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
      RE: LOL, driving down Main Street in Old Forge PA Wed, 01/24/07 7:46 PM (permalink)
      yeah, but there's nothing worse than the smell
      of burnt garlic wafting through town.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
        RE: LOL, driving down Main Street in Old Forge PA Thu, 01/25/07 7:26 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by xannie_01

yeah, but there's nothing worse than the smell
        of burnt garlic wafting through town.

You won't find that oin Old Forge. BTW, is Salerno's still open?

buffetbuster

RE: LOL, driving down Main Street in Old Forge PA Thu, 01/25/07 8:22 AM (permalink)
          Oneiron339-
          I ate at Salerno's just this past October and it seemed to be doing well. And the pizza was excellent!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
            RE: LOL, driving down Main Street in Old Forge PA Thu, 02/8/07 9:39 PM (permalink)
            I took a day trip to Old Forge from NJ a few months ago, armed with every review and web print out I could find, and it sure is Pizza paradise. A set up like that has got to be unique in all of the US. There's a slight resemblance to the town of Nanuet NY, which has about 4 noted pizza havens on the short Main Street, but Old Forge has at least a dozen.

Only problem was, I had told the family I'd be home with Dinner. I got to Old Forge at about 11:30 AM with an itinerary of 10 places and only found a few places open. Most of the places open at 4 or 5PM even on weekends. Not good for day trips from New Jersey.

But I did get pizza from Revello's, Salerno's and Maxies and one other place (don't have my notes handy). And took home enough pizza for several meals. It's amazing how each pizza was distinctive in it's own way, all great. FWIW, we all thought Revello's the best.

PS: The wierdest thing was i could not figure out for the life of me how to get into Club Augustine. I went in front, around the back, pulled on several doors, waited outside for 10 minutes for someone to either come or go. I know they were open, I could smell the pizza, the sign said they opened at Noon, and it was 1 PM. I finally gave up and went on my way.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com