LOUIS LUNCH?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/13 09:05:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Hoping to try all three places one day. The negative in your report for me (I like well done pizza) is regarding the pepperroni. From all the business these places supposedly do, the last thing you'd think they'd do is skimp on ingredients. Why not just charge a bit more?

one man's "skimping" is another man's "appropriate".

having char on the crusts is an essential part of a high-temp wood or coal fired brick oven pizza. that's the style. of course, one man's "char" is another man's "burnt", but it's generally by design.
steaklover
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/13 12:51:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tommyeats

quote:

Hoping to try all three places one day. The negative in your report for me (I like well done pizza) is regarding the pepperroni. From all the business these places supposedly do, the last thing you'd think they'd do is skimp on ingredients. Why not just charge a bit more?

having char on the crusts is an essential part of a high-temp wood or coal fired brick oven pizza. that's the style. of course, one man's "char" is another man's "burnt", but it's generally by design.

A slice of pepperoni pizza w/o any pepperoni isn't appropriate in anyone's book. But it was a few years ago, and maybe they fixed the problem.

I may try the new Pepe's in Bridgeport, but most people I asked about it just shrugged their shoulders when asked if it was any good.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/13 13:29:51 (permalink)
quote:

Agree totally! The topping amount and char on the crust is by design; it's not a result of cheapness or carelessness. Of course, there are people who don't like char on their pizza (we know plenty of them) and who like plenty of toppings. Those people are free to ask for their pies less well-done, with extra pepperoni. But if that describes you (not you, tommyeats) then Pepe's may not be your style of pizza. Everyone doesn't like the same thing.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/13 22:30:00 (permalink)
I coulda swore that this thread was about a hamburger!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/14 01:55:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

Agree totally! The topping amount and char on the crust is by design; it's not a result of cheapness or carelessness. Of course, there are people who don't like char on their pizza (we know plenty of them) and who like plenty of toppings. Those people are free to ask for their pies less well-done, with extra pepperoni. But if that describes you (not you, tommyeats) then Pepe's may not be your style of pizza. Everyone doesn't like the same thing.

I actually hesitated to post this picture, because I could already hear all the naysayers crowing about the "burnt" crust. Personally, I like the char:

This is the full pie picture, seen in my "Random NYC" trip report:

If you read that report, there are many who believe that this is one of the best looking pies that they've ever seen. These are well-respected members, who have been to more than their share of Roadfood establishments. It also comes from the place that was all-but unanimously chosen as the best on a tour of Brooklyn and lower Manhattan pizza joints last spring - so, it is not just a good looking pie, but it compares favorably to other "legendary" NY establishments - Totonno's, DiFara's, Lombardi's, etc.

Anyway, yes, this thread is about hamburgers - but, there is also a tangent about New Haven pizza - and the criticism of such can also be found in this pie, which I consider to be one of the best in all of New York City.

Like they say, to each his own. And, for all those that don't like char, you are just reducing the wait time at places like Grimaldi's and Pepe's for those of us that do! Thanks!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18945
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/14 10:36:37 (permalink)
I have to laugh. The first time I saw a pie without char I sent it back because I thought they hadn't cooked it.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/14 20:15:55 (permalink)
Pizza looks amazing to me! Better than in Rome! How the heck to New Haven become the Pizza Capital of the USA?
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/14 21:17:55 (permalink)
quote:

Pizza looks amazing to me! Better than in Rome! How the heck to New Haven become the Pizza Capital of the USA?

it's not. Naples is.

The crust is exceptional in comparison to the typical pizza place. The cooking process is close-to-perfect if high heat is your thing. The toppings are somewhat mediocre, when compared to Naples, for example. But New Haven is certainly worth a visit for, um, hamburgers.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18945
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/14 21:24:59 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

it's not. Naples is.

Naples is the Pizza Capital of the United States of America? Please tell us how that came about.
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/14 21:28:14 (permalink)
I agree MH, the Pizza in Naples Florida sucks.
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/14 21:34:31 (permalink)
well you guys just don't know where to go.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/14 22:15:29 (permalink)
Pepe's w/o the char isn't Pepe's. Other pizza crusts taste like saltines by comparison. After having eaten Pepe's pies for years, I finally figured out why so many folks leave the crusts at most pizza places...they have no flavor. An analogy would be real, crusty Italian bread compared to the plastic wrapped junk they label "Italian bread" at a supermarket.

Steaklover, I suggest that if you visit Pepe's, skip the peperoni and try their excellent sausage or, even better, get bacon on your pie (not Canadian stuff, regular bacon). Bacon, onions, mooz and their superb tomato sauce...awesome.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/14 22:16:21 (permalink)
Well geez. I thought it was common knowledge that Gary Indiana has the best pizza, burgers, and Polish food.

TAtwod
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: LOUIS LUNCH? 2008/05/19 11:20:09 (permalink)
From a pepperoni lover (first thing I choose always!) - I've changed to salami at Pepe's vs their pepperoni; I actually prefer it, and you don't see salami as an offered topping in most places. That being said, there's not much that wouldn't be tasty on a Pepe's pizza!

Re Louis' Lunch; didn't have a good expeience there - part of my burger was overdone, and the other part was raw (literally raw hamburger)....wouldn't be my first choice for burgers, or second, or third....but the historical aspect is interesting.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1